Author Topic: regarding pictures  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
regarding pictures
« on: March 01, 2002, 11:41:07 PM »
Help--Can't quite figure out how to include a picture/avatar that is not standard.  Do we need to have picture saved to our own pc, personal web space, or can we just take something from the web?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: regarding pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2002, 12:44:48 AM »
Luciaphil,

Images that you want to display in your posts should be stored in your personal web space. (I'll pretend I didn't see that comment about "taking" something from the Web [eek] because I'm sure you really meant to say by downloading images that are made available for download for free or purchase ;) - in which case that's fine [thumb]).

If you want to display an image in a post, you have to use the YaBBC tags that are explained on the first page of the Posting Help topic (you can access them by clicking on the 4th image in the second line of YaBBC tags above the row of regular smileys - or typing them directly into your post, which I find a lot simpler to do). You'd want to include something like:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://mysite.com/pic.jpg[/img]or
[img width=200 height=300]http://mysite.com/pic.jpg[/img]if you'd like to specify the image's dimensions.

And if you'd like to left justify, center or right justify the image in your post, you would enclose the tags and everything between them between the
or
tags (all of which can be accessed by clicking the 9th, 10th or 11th images, respectively, in the first line of YaBBC tags - or typing them directly into your post).

For example, to center a pic you'd want to include something like this:
[center][img width=200 height=300]http://mysite.com/pic.jpg[/img][/center]
It's all very similar to HTML, but YaBBC encloses its tags between brackets, [], instead of <>.

To display a custom avatar, you should go to your profile page by clicking the "Profile" links at the top and bottom of most of the forum's pages. Once that page comes up, scroll down to the "Personal Text:" section, click the box opposite "I have my own pic:" and then in the rectangular box to the right of the checkbox, fill in the URL of the pic you'd like to use as your custom avatar. Save the changes to your profile. And that's it - all of your posts (including the ones you've already made) will display your new custom avatar.

I hope this helps. ;)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: regarding pictures
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2002, 05:09:12 AM »
Luciaphil,

Images that you want to display in your posts should be stored in your personal web space. (I'll pretend I didn't see that comment about "taking" something from the Web [eek] because I'm sure you really meant to say by downloading images that are made available for download for free or purchase ;) - in which case that's fine [thumb]).

Thanks, MB.  I will play with this and see if I can get it to work.

And no, I didn't mean to imply that I was about to commit copyright violation--sorry for the confusion  :)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga