Author Topic: New DS Format  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:New DS Format
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2004, 06:25:31 PM »
Right now on Buffy, I hate/hate/HATE the way most everyone is i s o l a t e d.

I thought FX was at the end of the series, in which case you should've seen the characters come together.  What you may be interpreting as isolation is actually that they've each been to hell and back and found their personal strengths as a result.

Exactly. And also, Patti, it's very hard to come into Buffy during its last seasons and fully understand it. Unlike many other series, the characters on Buffy grew and changed from season to season (if you were to watch an episode from the first few seasons, you might seriously begin to wonder if you were watching the same show), and the series is very self-referential, meaning that it frequently refers back to events from past seasons, so, unless you've actually been watching for quite a few years, quite a few things are likely to go right over your head. (For example: In the final episode of the series, Buffy, Willow and Xander jokingly discuss going to the mall after they defeat that season's Big Bad and Giles remarks offhandedly that the earth is doomed. His remark directly relates back to the final moments of Buffy's first season premiere in which Buffy, Willow and Xander were joking about how getting kicked out of school might save them from having to deal with any other demons and Giles made the exact same remark.  ;))

Offline loki

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2004, 05:57:01 AM »
Is anyone curious to see Kingdom Hospital,(not sure that's the right name)  looks kind of interesting. I can't wait for anything Dark Shadows, new or old, still can't believe it's gone. Watched SciFI for Two Years then  they just stopped, Thank God for Robin for her wonderful descriptionsof the last 20ish episodes. Looking forward to any news!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 07:15:12 PM »
OT but too funny.

I read what Midnite & MB said yesterday about Buffy. I tuned in this a.m., and what should appear, but YOUNG Buffy and Willow (I guess yesterday's 8am ep, which I couldn't see, was perhaps the last)? If so, Buffy says (in the previous ep), "Hi Angel", which I assume is Angel of the WB's cancelled Angel.

(still OT, but does Buffy end up with Spike?)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2004, 04:15:49 AM »
Is anyone curious to see Kingdom Hospital,(not sure that's the right name)  looks kind of interesting. I can't wait for anything Dark Shadows, new or old, still can't believe it's gone. Watched SciFI for Two Years then  they just stopped, Thank God for Robin for her wonderful descriptionsof the last 20ish episodes. Looking forward to any news!
i work at Kingdom Hospital! :-X

jennifer
i think i will watch it  too
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2004, 02:15:24 PM »
Special mention - <snip> the original Sam Evans (his philisophical/cryptic musings),

Thank you for that! I thought I was the only one who liked the original Sam Evans. In the long run, David Ford ended up being a great replacement for Mark Allen.  But, I adored  Allen's philisophical and cryptic musings too! He left the show way too soon. He looked the part of a run-down alcoholic artist with the wild hair and secrets to hide! Still, I can't help but wonder if the new show's town will be just another suburban setting or capture the real flavor of a small town village tucked away out of the path of progress as in the original. It'll be interesting to find out.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2004, 06:04:25 PM »
I thought I was the only one who liked the original Sam Evans. In the long run, David Ford ended up being a great replacement for Mark Allen.  But, I adored  Allen's philisophical and cryptic musings too! He left the show way too soon. He looked the part of a run-down alcoholic artist with the wild hair and secrets to hide!

I've often believed that the original players for certain roles, even if they were short-lived, had it all over their replacements. Through his longevity in the series, David Ford became the Sam Evans I think most fans identify with; but Mark Allen may have been the more interesting actor in the role. Not to demean Ford at all, because I really like him and appreciate his contribution (I don't think Allen would have fit the role of Andre DuPres so well), but I completely agree that his more tormented and world-weary Sam Evans made for an engaging aspect of the show that I would love to have seen continued.

Same could be said for George Mitchell as Matthew Morgan. Though Thayer David probably is, was, and always will be the most charismatic, versatile, and appropriately utilized actor in the show, as Morgan, he was almost a letdown after Mitchell's eccentric, rather manic character. In regard to Morgan, my emotional response to the two actors was that I admired David's ability to portray the character with some aplomb; Mitchell's screen presence made me genuinely nervous.

--Mark

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2004, 06:06:30 PM »
Is anyone curious to see Kingdom Hospital,(not sure that's the right name)  looks kind of interesting.

After watching Kingdom Hospital, the first word that comes to mind is B-O-R-I-N-G.

--Mark

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2004, 09:29:46 PM »
It does look terrible from the commercials.

By all means do check out the original Danish series THE KINGDOM which is brilliant.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2004, 09:45:53 PM »
After watching Kingdom Hospital, the first word that comes to mind is B-O-R-I-N-G.

After sitting there watching it for the full two hours, I still don't know what the heck is going on.

(Perhaps it'll get a little more interesting as the story progresses)

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2004, 10:04:31 PM »
Mark Allen may have been the more interesting actor in the role.

Same could be said for George Mitchell as Matthew Morgan.

Could someone post pics of these two actors...for the life of me, I can't picture either....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2004, 10:07:31 AM »
Here you go, Patti. ;D It was a very long and painful process, but, anything for you, my dear fellow Forums member and DS fan.  :-*

George Mitchell: The original Matthew Morgan

Mark Allen: The original Sam Evans

PS - Neither of these photos are of the actors as their DS characters.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2004, 11:00:08 PM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-*d :-*o :-*m :-* :-* :-*

Thank you dahling...I truly don't believe I've ever seen these ??? ???

Patti
What a Woman!