Author Topic: Barnabas' bizarre drink in the headlines!!  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Barnabas' bizarre drink in the headlines!!
« on: February 27, 2004, 01:29:34 AM »
Amontillado  and sexual harassment (sorta). . maybe that's why the ole BAT loved the stuff. . .

http://slate.msn.com/id/2096152/
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Barnabas' bizarre drink in the headlines!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 01:36:39 AM »
Who knew Amontillado could have that type of an effect? And not to belittle Wolf's accusations, but  "You have the aura of election upon you"?   ???  What the hell kind of a line is that?!  [hdscrt]   Bloom was obviously a very disturbed man...

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 06:29:28 AM »
Who knew Amontillado could have that type of an effect? And not to belittle Wolf's accusations, but  "You have the aura of election upon you"?   ???  What the hell kind of a line is that?!  [hdscrt]   Bloom was obviously a very disturbed man...

I'm glad you said that MB. . i don't know that i'd get so worked up about a drunken professor spouting weirdness at me on ONE occassion. . .now the Psych professor who commented on my legs all too frequently and later touched them on a couple of occasions. . .well, he did loose his job . .a la Disgrace by J.M. Coetze but not because of me. . in another incident that  happened 10 years later. . . I haven't read Wolfe's article yet, i have it on my couch maybe i'll feel differently. . but its possible she just had a deadline and needed  a story, who knows.  But from knowing what happened to the professor  from my University in the 1990s, I think Universities are taken s.h. mighty seriously.  ??
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 04:50:11 PM »
I think Universities are taken s.h. mighty seriously.  ??

Sexual harassment isn't a topic for a DS board, sorry.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 12:06:40 AM »
Speaking of drinks, when Barnabas has his costume party, he offers Roger carrotcup...What in the heck is carrotcup?  It sounds nasty.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 12:32:04 AM »
[rollb]  [rollb]   [rollb]  [rollb]  [rollb]
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 01:25:45 AM »
What in the heck is carrotcup?  It sounds nasty.

That would be claret cup.  ;)

You can find the recipe here.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 06:24:28 AM »
ok  thanks for the info..and it still sounds bad. [8285]
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 05:04:05 AM »
Speaking of amontillado...

I first tasted this as a teenager in Jerez, Spain, but I had to grow up to appreciate the flavor of sherry ... I didn't even care for it all that much during years of college English department functions.  Just recently I finally discovered an inexpensive brand of amontillado (around $8) at a supermarket and bought three bottles!  It does have a taste distinctive from a regular dry sherry, as is mentioned in the Poe story.

Now that I have my own computer which I've just learned to use, I've also been able to listen for the first time to Jonathan Frid's dramatic readings on his website, and particularly enjoy his rendition of "The Cask of Amontillado."

I also recommend (how many times have I mentioned this?!) Vincent Price's "An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe", available on a dual-sided DVD with Roger Corman's film of "The Tomb of Ligeia" (my favorite of the Poe adaptations).   Very inexpensive DVD, too!  (Which I've been able to watch now with my new laptop's DVD drive!)  Price's presentation of "The Cask of Amontillado" is excellent.

Thanks for the link to the recipe for claret cup ... I hadn't paid much attention to the reference on DS (wasn't this in HODS?) and didn't realize it was a recipe I could have looked up (guess I just thought it was claret in a punch cup with ice).  It sounds delicious ... my parents always had liquours and apertifs, Cointreau, Drambouie (sp), etc., but I am unable to afford them ... so don't think I'll be able to  make the recipe any time soon.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995