Author Topic: the "gift" of dvd  (Read 693 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
the "gift" of dvd
« on: December 26, 2004, 02:12:30 AM »
happy holidays guys...i hope everyone had a nice christmas day.

i "hosted" this year.my gift from mom was a very nice dvd/vcr set-up(which i have thus far been unable to set-up).which brings me to this question.i've never owned a dvd player,just an old vcr.i have every episode of d.s. on video from ep.1 to the late 1968 eps.
should i stop buying tapes and switch over to the dvds?the machine plays vhs so i can still watch my older tapes but going foreward with the show should i just do a full-on switch to dvd?space aside(you can imagine what the tape pile up looks like)is it worth it?should i go back and re-buy all the earlier episodes i have on dvd(except for the pre-barnabas eps.,maddeningly not yet available on dvd)?
if so...what volume of dvd should be my first buy being that the last tapes i bought were o.s.v.66(just after ang and joe haskell first "meet")? [_snowman_] [_snowman_] [_snowman_]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: the "gift" of dvd
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 04:38:35 AM »
My experience has been that the video quality of the DVDs is so far superior to the MPI VHS tapes (and even more so when compared to my home-taped VHS cassettes from Sci-Fi) that I prefer to buy on DVD all the shows I previously owned on VHS.  Of course, knowing that eventually the entire series would be on DVD, quite awhile back I sold all of my MPI VHS tapes (volumes 93-200) on eBay to various people who felt strongly enough about buying those tapes at about $2.00 each (when they were still around $10.00 each at MPI).  I took a loss dollar-wise, but that doesn't matter to me.  (I destroyed the earlier episodes that I had taped from Sci-Fi, since selling those would not have been legal.)

Since you have a combo player, you might want to buy a DVD with some of the same episodes you have on VHS, and then play an episode or two side by side, switching back and forth between formats to view the difference for yourself.  That might help you make a decision.

Good luck!

Brian

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: the "gift" of dvd
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 01:51:06 AM »
thanks for the advice brian,once i get this thing set-up i think that i will make the switch over to dvd.everyone says the quality is much better. [okg]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.