Author Topic: DCP and Fan Music/Tribute videos, sites, etc.  (Read 3338 times)

Offline adrianwolfblood

• Willing love slave of Angelique forever
    • View Profile
    • My Graphics
Re: DCP and Fan Music/Tribute videos, sites, etc.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 05:25:45 AM »
There are always going to be people with nothing better to do than to spoil the fun of other people. I however have created many DS themed and Non ds themed wallpaper plus 10 different music vids specifically for DS and I will continue to do so.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 08:52:52 AM »
While I'm not an attorney duly licensed to practice before the state of California, I have worked for them for over 15 years.  I speak from this experience as well as my legal research certificate from UCLA Extension.  I did find and take a quick breeze through some of the copyright statutes.  So, here goes.

I don't think it matters where the Dark Shadows materials comes from whether it be from a video of a TV recording, a DVD recording, a live TV feed, CD, MP3 file, record, picture from an old magazine, print media or whatever, wherever.  Dan Curtis Productions, Inc. owns the rights to Dark Shadows.  Print media (novels, magazines, books, photographers) also own their works which depicts Dark Shadows, its characters, etc.  They or their agents can choose to exercise those rights under U.S. Copyright law or not to exercise those rights.  It's their decision to do so.  Copyright enforcement can also be applied to fan fiction that is published on the Internet, not just pictures.

Nothing after 1923 is in the public domain.  This is an important fact to remember.  There are a few things that are but it's because they let the renewal lapse.  I don't think DCP, Inc. or its agents are going to let that happen anytime soon.

There is a fair use clause which is unique to U.S. Copyright law.  However, it's complicated and don't think I want to make any blanket statement(s) and say one could do something and then it turns out to be incorrect.  It's best to do your own research with the U.S. Copyright code and make your best decision based on that reading.  It's available on the Internet.

It is a true bummer when one of us appears to be singled out for copyright infringement enforcement.  However, it does appear that the Powers that Be seem to be consistent when it comes to videos and/or video sites.  None of us are safe from a cease and desist request.  How they would ever enforce it with the cap sites is beyond my imagination but they could choose to do so.  I just don't think it would be very cost effective for them to make that choice and cease and desist every one of us in web land. 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 05:15:02 PM »
Quote from: victoriawinters
There is a fair use clause which is unique to U.S. Copyright law.

The fair use exceptions are comment, criticism, news reporting, teaching, scholarship and research.  Determination depends on:

*      the character of the use, including whether the use is commercial or for nonprofit educational purposes
    *      the nature of the material to be copied
    *      the amount and importance of the part copied (in relation to the whole work)
    *      the effect on the market

If fair use doesn't apply, US copyright law requires that you seek and acquire permission first.

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 04:06:46 PM »
I havent been notified at all about my videos. Which leads me to wonder whether my videos were ok or if DCP's never seen them. I stopped making videos this past few months do to school, but I have planned to make some this summer.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 09:24:15 PM »
Hey there, stranger, great to see you posting again!  I hope you feel inspired to create some new videos.  My desire for this is purely altruistic--it has nothing to do with my addiction to your beautiful video work!

Best wishes

Steve

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 01:57:17 AM »
LOL, Thanks steve. Youve always been my biggest supporter.

Its funny that you mention being inspired because I have so much inspiration right now in what I want to do. The sad thing, tho,  is that I'm just so LAZY!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2005, 08:37:05 PM »
Groovy!  I'm excited that you have so many ideas!

I had two ideas for videos that I know you would do brilliant versions of, but I'm sure you already have plenty on your plate for the summer.  Just for the Hell of it, though, these are my ideas:

(1) Julia Hoffman, Dominatrix (alternate title Julia Hoffman, Control Bitch) Maybe to a Debbie Harry song, have scenes of Julia (Hoffman from PT could be included too) giving orders, being bossy, cutting open Joe's shirt (just watched this last night and realized how IN CONTROL the good dr was), and, of course, slapping people!

(2)  It's Raining Men--to the Weather Girls song (or some other silly pop anthem), have a gallery of studly men from various storylines of DS.  I think DS was ahead of the game in finding excuses to have shirtless men appearing on the show, well before it became such a TREND on the soaps.

Just thoughts that came to me when contemplating the exciting prospect of new videos from you!

best,

Steve