Author Topic: DS DVD's:  Changing Bad Story Elelment?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DS DVD's:  Changing Bad Story Elelment?
« on: November 07, 2002, 05:05:34 PM »
On the recently released DVD of ET, Stephen Spielberg changed a part of the movie by having the cops using walkie talkies as opposed to guns around the children, I got an idea.

Perhaps when the Leviathan story comes up to be made into a DVD, they could edit out the ghost of Peter Bradford (and his stating of Vicky's death) and instead use another ghost attempt to get revenge on Jeb?

What do you think?  It could get rid of parts of DS that fans dislike?

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
Re: DS DVD's:  Changing Bad Story Elelment?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 06:29:58 PM »
If they took out that part it would change other
parts as well. What about the scene when Willie returns to Collinwood. Maggie is locked in the tower.
Willie goes to save her and gets locked in too.
Remember what saved them from Jeb?
Yup, Peter's ghost. And there are other scenes
Peter's ghost played a part in. I wouldn't want to see
any of DS tampered with.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2002, 06:52:01 PM »
As someone with an interest in the archival preservation of our cultural heritage (and yes, DS IS a part of our cultural heritage--it's a part of the mythical lore I grew up with as a child) I have very strong feelings about tampering, in any way, with what has survived of the series.

I'm sure Mr. Spiel meant well with his revision of his own work.  But we all know what road is paved with good intentions.

Gothick

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2002, 07:04:00 PM »
I think perhaps the original post was intended tongue-in-cheek... and in that spirit I totally agree with getting rid of the "Vickie jumped off a cliff" reference!!  Bravo for a wonderful idea!!   :)  :)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2002, 07:50:19 PM »
I consider the revealing of Viki's death in the Leviathan storyline the biggest slap-in-the-face to the (Viki) fans in the history of the show. I was totally crushed. (And I still haven't gotten over it. :'()

Considering the recent thread on characters we dislike, if we all got to edit out the roles we disliked there wouldn't be much of the show left! lol. My first thought is to have had Josette be the ghost instead of Peter. The justification being that she was just unwilling to rest in peace (as promised) and let Collinwood go to the dogs. I can't remember who was alive or dead during Peter's ghostly appearances but likely candidates for replacements might be the ghosts of Phillip Todd or Paul Stoddard. Each ghost would have plausible reasons for challenging the Leviathans.

dom

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2002, 08:44:34 PM »
Hi Marsha,

The ghost in that part of Leviathan was supposed to be Paul Stoddard.  They had to change it because Dennis Patrick suddenly had to do a film shoot before his DS storyline had wound up.  That is also the reason for the incredibly silly use of an inserted still photo for a certain scene in which Paul Stoddard was supposed to appear. The comments of Nicholas shortly after this scene set the stage for Paul's return as a ghost, and so do Carolyn's series of prophetic dreams.

I think the lines about Vicki's death were sheer malice on the part of Dan Curtis, but perhaps one of the writers came up with it as the only plausible reason why Peter would bear a grudge against Jeb.

Luv ya (and you know your avatar makes me sca-REAM!)

Tuffie

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 02:32:59 AM »
Well even though I don't like that aspect of the storyline, I feel it would be wrong to change it. It was the original way it was and I feel it's wrong to edit things out of programs on tape or DVD since we're expecting the full thing.

I really hate how they killed Vicki off like that. I know it's a soap, but it would've been nice to see one couple live "happily ever after" without being later killed.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 03:59:39 AM »
Hi Marsha,

The ghost in that part of Leviathan was supposed to be Paul Stoddard.  They had to change it because Dennis Patrick suddenly had to do a film shoot before his DS storyline had wound up.

Thanks, doll face. I love this "back-story" stuff. I wish they would have been a little more clever and still have had the ghost remain faceless and carry out his deed without dialogue. They could have had him leave something behind that would have let those involved (and the fans) know that is was Paul. Oh well.

Luv ya (and you know your avatar makes me sca-REAM!)

I have one more in the can that I created just for you, dahling. <kiss>

M.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 04:13:11 AM »
If they couldn't have gotten Dennis Patrick, then the ghost of Josette would have been perfect to use!  She was always there in the beginning to help those in need.