Author Topic: Quentin and Jamison  (Read 2976 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Quentin and Jamison
« on: October 30, 2002, 03:32:37 AM »
I really enjoy watching Quentin and Jamison's interactions in this storyline!  Selby and Henesy play the scenes so well together and the relationship between their characters must be the healthiest in that household. Last week's episode where Quentin presented Jamison with the toy ship and today's scenes where he pretended to be a broken old beggar were so warm and lighthearted, a marked contrast to the general course of the show.  They almost remind me of the Burke and David scenes in the early days of the show.  While we've seen how violent Quentin can become, it's reassuring to watch how kindly he acts toward Jamison.  I can almost believe that Quentin genuinely cares for him, but oh, how he uses that boy...

Quentin manipulates Jamison for his own gain just as he does everybody else in his life.  In the episode where nephew and uncle were reunited, Quentin relied on Jamison's affection to keep him at Collinwood, bribing him with a present.  Today, Quentin used Jamison to get Grandmama's will.  Caring nothing for the boy's fears, he lied to him about a prophetic dream (after telling Jamison that he would never lie to him) and urged him to steal the will so that he (Quentin) could gain the family fortune. Later...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Quentin employs Jamison in various black magic rituals.  Certainly this can't be a sign that he really has the boy's best interests at heart.  Yet, much is made in the 1897 storyline of Quentin's love for his nephew and their bond figures strongly in major plots further down the line.  

My question is, do you all think that Quentin really does care about Jamison, or does he merely take advantage of the boy because he's one of the few people at Collinwood sympathetic to Quentin?

ProfStokes

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
Re: Quentin and Jamison
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 03:55:09 AM »
I think it is a little of both.  Maybe Quentin doesn't think there is anything wrong with using Jamison to steal a will or participate in dark magic.  Even though the boy protests he never flat out refuses and so Quentin may see his nephew as a willing co-conspirator.  Unfortunately, the bond between Quentin and Jamison is dysfunctional too because of the way Quentin manipulates the boy.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 04:03:56 AM »
I think deep down Quentin has a soft spot for the boy.
says
  VAM, who always wants to see the positve in a person
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 04:21:03 AM »
I think deep down Quentin has a soft spot for the boy.

Maybe that's why David Selby named his son Jamision.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Connie

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 05:06:16 AM »
My question is, do you all think that Quentin really does care about Jamison, or does he merely take advantage of the boy because he's one of the few people at Collinwood sympathetic to Quentin?

Hiya Professor...
Interesting observations and a good question.

Yes.  I think Quentin truly loves Jamison.  He's the only member of the family he loves deeply.  You see it in his eyes when he looks at him, and in the way they interract.  Yes - he uses him and gets him to participate in his dubious (to say the least - lol) activites, but it's always with the belief that Jamison will not be hurt.

If you remember, when Quentin arrived home, he insisted on seeing Jamison immediately.  He wouldn't take no for an answer - saying that he promised, and that he ALWAYS keeps his promises to Jamison.
He didn't have to, if all he did was use Jamison to get back home.

Also, when Judith was trying to bribe Quentin to leave, Quentin made it clear that the only way he would leave would be if Jamison truly wanted him to.

Further on in the storyline their relationship becomes clearer when they're talking about the things they used to do together - just the two of them - going on hikes, etc.

SPOILER ---------------------

Plus, when Jamison's life was in danger, it was obvious Quentin would do anything to save him -- even if it meant having to marry Angelique.  (Ackkk!!)

Yes - Henesy and Selby are great together.  Very natural and loving.  I think one of Henesy's finest moments is when he confronts Quentin about his plans to marry Angelique.  His confusion, anger and deep hurt are brought forth brilliantly -- the genuine tears when Jamison says, "I hate you, Quentin....I HATE you!"

Great great stuff.

-CLC

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 05:51:58 AM »
Quentin does indeed have a deep affection for his Nephew Jamison...
Although it is Quentin's greed and ambition to become Master of Collinwood that sometimes govern over his senses, leading him to use Jamison for his own ends... giving no thought Jamison will be affected.
I suppose he could possibly be thinking this all a game, in which Jamison is merely playing along.
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2002, 07:37:18 AM »
i also think that quentin really cares for jamison, but that will not stop him from taking advantage of his innocence, quentin is sort of a weasel, will go to any lengths to get what he wants, including subjecting him to dangerous black arts mumbo jumbo, to going  to grandmamamamamamas funeral and running back to the  Q  to tell him  she was buried, to petty thievery.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2002, 08:06:21 AM »
I do like the fact that we are seeing this type of a relationship played out on the show. I find it refreshing. It is such a departure from all the seriousness of the previous years, it is like a novelty almost. The same with Carl and his "absurdness".  

Quentin's & Jamison's loving (familial) relationship plays out quite genuinely on the surface but I can't get past Quentin using Jamison the way he is and labeling it as true affection. I don't know how to say it professionally but I think that if you truly love someone you wouldn't use them to do bad things to suit your own selfish (and wrong) desires, regardless of whether it hurts them directly or not. If you truly love someone, you leave them out of your wrongdoings. I think from Quentin's own point of view, he genuinely loves his nephew. But I don't think so. Not really.

dom (Who does not believe in, "Not guilty by reason of insanity".)

Connie

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2002, 09:43:58 AM »
Quentin's & Jamison's loving (familial) relationship plays out quite genuinely on the surface but I can't get past Quentin using Jamison the way he is and labeling it as true affection. I don't know how to say it professionally but I think that if you truly love someone you wouldn't use them to do bad things to suit your own selfish (and wrong) desires...

Yes but, here you're placing a value judgement on someone else's feelings and love for another.  If we stand back and judge, yes -- we can say, "well, Quentin doesn't REALLY love the child because look how he uses him for his own selfish ends -- you don't really do that to someone you love."
What we see of Quentin so far, is a selfish, greedy, conniving, immature man.  There have only been a few hints so far, of what lies below the surface.  (Example:  The scene yesterday between Beth and him where his manner is quite different - letting down his guard, revealing some disquieting emotions, wanting to talk.  He's sincere when he says. "I need you."
Also the other day when he's talking to Judith and she accuses him of always hating her.  There's a look of quiet sadness on his face when he replies that he'd always thought that it was SHE who hated him.)
Quentin's a complex character and becomes more multi-dimensional as Selby and the writers develop him.

ANYWAY, lol, from Quentin and Jamison's point of view, they love each other - their feelings are quite clear.  At this point in Quentin's emotional maturity, (not very impressive LOL), he loves him as much as he's capable of loving him.  Then of course, you can get into a whole discussion of how we use each other in relationships - the subtle and not so subtle ways.  We always use the ones we love in one way or another - and usually the ones we love the most.  I mean, I love my mother NO END and more and more each day, and I use the HELL out of her.  It all becomes very complicated, but interesting when you start examining all this stuff.

I better stop here 'cause I'm going on too much.  But suffice it to say, I've learned over the last few years not to judge someone else's love, but to accept it with an understanding of who that person is and what they are, and are not capable of.

OKAY EVERYBODY!!!   Anyone feeling the need for analysis, I'm real cheap -- only $20 an hour!
Hey!  A few sessions with me, and you'll definitely be a candidate for Wyndcliff!  LOL

[silly]

-CLC

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2002, 11:22:12 AM »
I think that deep down in his heart, Quentin truly loves & cares for the boy. They share such a special bond with each other that's quite obvious.   True, I don't condone his actions towards Jamison in making him steal the will from his Grandmother's coffin, or even some of his future actions towards the boy, but I feel that this is just the way that Quentin is.  Everyone loves differently and while Quentin might be a little immature at times I honestly believe that he would be devestated if anything ever happened to the boy.

While all his wrong doings towards Jamison makes it somewhat hard to accept his love towards the boy, I really don't believe that Quentin would subject him to anything if he truly thought that his nephew's life was in danger of any kind.  From what we've seen of Quentin so far you can tell that he is almost on the same level as Jamison is mentally.  Or at least he pretends to be. I think this is one of reasons why Jamison is so fond of him.  He knows how to talk to the kid in a way that no other adult in the household has been able to do so far.

In watching Jamison in some scenes with his father, Edward, it's obvious that he doesn't know how to talk to his own child.  He doesn't listen to what Jamison has to say and is usually too busy to bother with him.  Quentin, on the other hand DOES pay attention to Jamison, listens to what he is saying and knows how to talk on a level in which the boy understands and likes as well.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Jamison (and Quentin)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2002, 11:35:55 AM »
First, as to Jamison, I always have fun trying to picture him being the father of Elizabeth and Roger. Of course, the fact that he looks exactly like Roger's son doesn't help!! We really don't know anything about their upbringing or what their father was like. Both Edward and Roger are rather stiff and stuffy. There's no way of knowing how Jamison turned out. It just seems so funny to imagine him growing up to be their father.

As to Quentin, I think he really does care about Jamison. He's not the most responsible person, therefore involving Jamison in some of the things you (Prof. Stokes) mentioned in the Spoiler part, and, of course, it's quite convenient for him to use him as with the will. He's the type to use anyone he can, I guess. But, I still think that he really does care for him. And, the ultimate explanation for what this story is all about revolves on that relationship.
Josette

Connie

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2002, 11:50:26 AM »
Cassandra,
I agree 100% with everything you've said.  Quentin would never do anything he perceived as a possible risk to Jamison, and he WOULD be devastated if anything were to happen to him.  And you're quite right about the way they communicate.

Also, from what we've seen of that household, Quentin gives Jamison the love and affection he doesn't get from his father - and the unconditional approval.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2002, 03:46:15 PM »
HHHMMM¢â‚¬¦¢â‚¬¦Isn't there a legend that Lucifer was the most beautiful of God's angels?  I think we've got that same thing going on here.

Quentin loves Jamison?  Quentin cares for the boy?  So he makes him lie, and he makes him steal, and he makes him a pawn in his twisted little game of "who gets the money" with his siblings.

Quentin uses Jamison because he can.  The boy's a child, and unlike the grown-ups, hasn't figured out yet that  Quentin is manipulative and deceitful, callous, cruel, and even violent.  Ah, but he's also charming, and witty and very beautiful to look at¢â‚¬¦¢â‚¬¦and aren't we always surprised when evil isn't also ugly?

No one else shows Jamison any affection at all¢â‚¬¦.it doesn't take much to make an unloved, lonely little boy adore you, even if you're the devil in disguise.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2002, 04:41:30 PM »

But suffice it to say, I've learned over the last few years not to judge someone else's love, but to accept it with an understanding of who that person is and what they are, and are not capable of.

-CLC

Very nicely said Connie...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2002, 05:59:33 PM »
HHHMMM¢â‚¬¦¢â‚¬¦Isn't there a legend that Lucifer was the most beautiful of God's angels?  I think we've got that same thing going on here.

Quentin loves Jamison?  Quentin cares for the boy?  So he makes him lie, and he makes him steal, and he makes him a pawn in his twisted little game of "who gets the money" with his siblings.

Quentin uses Jamison because he can.  The boy's a child, and unlike the grown-ups, hasn't figured out yet that  Quentin is manipulative and deceitful, callous, cruel, and even violent.  Ah, but he's also charming, and witty and very beautiful to look at¢â‚¬¦¢â‚¬¦and aren't we always surprised when evil isn't also ugly?

No one else shows Jamison any affection at all¢â‚¬¦.it doesn't take much to make an unloved, lonely little boy adore you, even if you're the devil in disguise.

That was so well put , I'll second that.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer