Author Topic: All New Dark Shadows Forums?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
All New Dark Shadows Forums?
« on: January 03, 2003, 08:21:02 PM »
Was looking over the threads on the Current Talk section and I saw this at the top of the page:

Look for the ALL NEW DARK SHADOWS FORUMS

Coming soon...

What, pray tell, does this mean?  :)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: All New Dark Shadows Forums?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 09:06:20 PM »
What, pray tell, does this mean?  :)

What, pray tell, indeed. ::) However, to reveal all now would spoil the fun. But as one clue, I'll remind that we've mentioned that our current contract with our Web host expires in about three weeks. [winkg] And as a second, there's my current avatar... (Though the significance of the avatar will go over the heads of those who don't recognize the mascot that's depicted in it. But again, there are clues to both in many spots on the forum...)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 03:08:53 AM »

What, pray tell, indeed. ::) However, to reveal all now would spoil the fun. But as one clue, I'll remind that we've mentioned that our current contract with our Web host expires in about three weeks. [winkg] And as a second, there's my current avatar... (Though the significance of the avatar will go over the heads of those who don't recognize the mascot that's depicted in it. But again, there are clues to both in many spots on the forum...)

We're going to Disneyworld! Right? ;)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 03:25:52 AM »

Luc...I determined that the new place must be:

a) a windowless building
b) surrounded by bunnies

;)Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 06:05:55 AM »
We all have to move to Anaheim and become hockey fans?

:P !!

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2003, 07:55:27 AM »
We're all gonna be Mighty Ducks?
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2003, 11:08:12 PM »
It so sad when sharply adept people are caught in the insidious web that is Microsoft. :'(

Good guess. From my POV it'll be like being in the ultimate amusement park - but, uh, not quite. ;)

We're all gonna be Mighty Ducks?

I can see why you might think he's a duck - his image in the avatar is a bit small. But he's actually a penguin:

and his name is Tux. That bit of info combined with my opening remark is already giving away too much too soon. [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2003, 11:58:22 PM »
A Penguin and the motto, "May the Source be with You".  

The new server is located either at a Fortunoff's Store, or McMurdo Base, Antarctica.

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2003, 01:13:48 AM »
I think I cheated, MB. I put "Tux the Penguin" in SEARCH and up came the mascot for Linux systems.

Am I close?
carolinamooon

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2003, 02:09:27 AM »
I have heard much of Linux, but am ignorant in the ways of this new religion.

Luciaphil
(who has never been to Disneyland)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2003, 02:14:38 AM »
I put "Tux the Penguin" in SEARCH and up came the mascot for Linux systems.

Now that's the kind of sharp adeptness I like to see. [thumb] Although it's only part of what's to come (our Web host's server is running Linux), you've made me so proud to show such initiative. [winkb] And Linux is the biggest clue yet as to what's to come...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2003, 02:24:31 AM »
I have heard much of Linux, but am ignorant in the ways of this new religion.

It's funny that you should phrase things that way, Luciaphil, because I was only saying to Midnite the other day that I plan to evangelize Linux to anyone and everyone who'll listen. :D

Hmmm - now could that be another clue? [wink2]

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2003, 02:37:42 AM »
It's funny that you should phrase things that way, Luciaphil, because I was only saying to Midnite the other day that I plan to evangelize Linux to anyone and everyone who'll listen. :D Hmmm - now could that be another clue? [wink2]

My brother, the computer nerd and who works in the computer field(he's an engineer who designs computer think boards)has been aware of Linux for several years.
carolinamooon

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2003, 04:10:24 AM »
I was only saying to Midnite the other day that I plan to evangelize Linux to anyone and everyone who'll listen. :D

Oh, swell.  How's THAT going to work?  Are you going to drag us all into some convention hall and force us to watch videos of their latest "developements".....ala Roger Davis? :P

PLEASE, Professore!!!  Schedule lectures for the computer literate enthusiasts among us, ......but leave us poor Luddites alone!

[smrtasy]
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2003, 05:15:12 AM »
My brother ... has been aware of Linux for several years.

Linux has been very popular with computer purists (think people who might work mostly with mainframes and who don't necessarily require a GUI (graphical user interface)) since the late '90s. Linux is far more secure than Windows (by leaps and bounds, actually!) and basically never crashes (except in extremely rare cases), which is one of the reasons it's a popular operating system for Web servers (where clients tend to get really miffed when the server crashes). But the fact that it hadn't had a simple GUI has kept it off of the desktop. But two GUIs that have been developed for Linux, KDE and Gnome, are helping to make Linux more accessible to people without degrees in Computer Science and Operating Systems, and we're starting to see Linux make some inroads on the desktop, particularly now that Microsoft can no longer force - oops, did I say that - of course, I meant to say that now that Microsoft can no longer strong arm - oops, there I go again - I meant to say that now that PC manufacturers have a viable alternative to Windows. Wal-Mart is selling a PC equipped with the Lindows version of Linux. And both Dell and Gateway are offering their customers Linux, Windows or both when they purchase a new PC.

One of the really great things about Linux is that it's what's known as Open Source (hence the slogan "May the Source Be With You") and governed by the GNU GPL FSF (GNU General Public Lincense Free Software Foundation). The entire Linux operating system is free to download from several different Web sites (in what's known as ISO image files) and to transfer to CDs/DVD. (Though, if someone feels they might require technical support, they can also pay one of several companies (Red Hat, Mandrake, United Linux, etc.) for that support and receive CDs and/or a DVD of Linux in the package.) Programs that run under Linux are also free (or can be obtained from companies for a fee for support). The entire idea behind Linux and the GNU is that users should have:
  • The freedom to run a program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
  • The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to their needs (freedom 1). (A reason why you need a program's source code.)
  • The freedom to redistribute copies so they can help their neighbor (freedom 2).
  • The freedom to improve the program, and release their improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits. (freedom 3). (Another reason why you need a program's source code.)

This goes completely against a proprietary company philosophy like Microsoft's - and actually, has Microsoft quaking in their boots because Linux and the GNU are being embraced by several Asian countries (where most computer hardware is manufactured), and it's making inroads in Europe - even more so now that Microsoft can't force - oops, did I say that yet again? [wink2] Well, you get the picture. ;) And actually, one of my favorite recent magazine graphics is this one:

which was published in the January 1st issue of CIO magazine as part of the article, "Linux Scales New Heights."