Author Topic: Hawkes Harbor by S. E. Hinton (not really OT)  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkes Harbor by S. E. Hinton (not really OT)
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »
Thanks.  [ghost_happy]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 05:40:01 PM »
I'm reading it now. It's actually not bad and has some features of interest that I won't mention here (spoilers). But I don't think it spoils anything to note that Ceylon didn't become Sri Lanka until 1972 and that La Petit Trope should be Le Petit Trope. That's all so far. I guess the publisher didn't want to waste money on a copy editor.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »
Well, even when books have an editor, or even two, sadly that's no guarantee that they're entirely accurate (as we all well know when it comes to the PomPress DS books...).

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »
But I don't think it spoils anything to note that Ceylon didn't become Sri Lanka until 1972 and that La Petit Trope should be Le Petit Trope. That's all so far. I guess the publisher didn't want to waste money on a copy editor.  [ghost_rolleyes]
Maybe, my beautiful, DarkLady, the copy-editors were too busy expunging the various DS names and places (other than that hidden "whoopsee") to make sure no one got sued by you-know-who, rather than looking at historical/literary accuracy.  Screw up a country's or a title's name, there's nothing involved; bringing up something copyrightedcopyrightedcopyrightedcopyrighted (it's all copyrighted, don'tchyaknow), and there's cash involved.  As someone with a degree in history, and has done a tad bit of copy-editing, the threats of lawyers showing up in smart business outfits and brief cases carries far more weight than accuracy.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 04:15:09 PM »
I've done more than my fair share of copy editing on many history books, Gerard, and am always glad to meet a kindred spirit!   [ghost_grin] But yes, the suits always win in the end.