Author Topic: Today's Julia-7/23  (Read 2120 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Today's Julia-7/23
« on: July 24, 2002, 04:18:14 AM »
Julia looked great today. Make up and hair were quite becoming. Though I can't imagine the character being vain enough to put that much work into herself. Julia doesn't strike me as the heavy mascara and eye-shadow type. I think of her more as a "take me as I am" type.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of Grayson's scenes today; my favorite being the exchange with Barnabas at the Old House concerning spying on Nicholas by invading his house by the sea. The body language was fabulous as they both seemed to get a kick out of the whole thing with their half-smiles. It was so real, I loved it.

Okay, what's with the gloves? Driving gloves? A fashion statement? It's not winter in Collinsport, is it?  Perhaps gloves were just "in" then, as hats were for men before the Kennedy years. Just wondering.

Dom

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Julia-7/23
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 04:59:47 AM »
Yes, gloves were worn more often back in the 60's....especially in church.....which has nothing to do with anything.

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 05:12:35 AM »
Yes, gloves were worn more often back in the 60's....especially in church.....which has nothing to do with anything.

Raineypark

You're right, Rainey! Gloves were de rigueur for Sunday Mass.  I remember having suit, hat and gloves that matched for Easter.  

The only time I wear gloves every day is during the winter.

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 05:20:49 AM »
We didn't do hats.....we're Sicilian and I can only picture my Mother, Aunts and Grandmother in those miserable veils.

I thought of them every time the talking heads on the news ranted about Islamic women having to wear the chador or the burka....like they had no frame of reference for that right here at home.

Sorry....what's THAT got to do with Dark Shadows?!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2002, 05:36:54 AM »
;D  I remember having to wear gloves & a hat to church as a child.  They were "the fashion" back then.  Boy have times changed!!  No hats or gloves now. :)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2002, 04:19:19 AM »

Okay, what's with the gloves? Driving gloves? A fashion statement?
Dom

Grayson needed something to fidget with .. since she's now "good" she can't smoke on-screen anymore. . that's a "bad woman's" pasttime. . .
Julia99

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2002, 04:39:20 AM »

Grayson needed something to fidget with .. since she's now "good" she can't smoke on-screen anymore. . that's a "bad woman's" pasttime. . .

I don't smoke. But do you realize how many people you might have offended by such a statement...

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2002, 07:28:29 AM »

I don't smoke. But do you realize how many people you might have offended by such a statement...

Excuse me but I was speaking of the "media" stereotyping of smokers. . usually only villans smoke.  BTW-I smoke a bit when the vodka moves me and I didn't find anything offensive. . but then again, i **knew** what I meant.. . light(en) up VAM.
Julia99

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2002, 09:23:34 AM »
Julia looked great today. Make up and hair were quite becoming. Though I can't imagine the character being vain enough to put that much work into herself. Julia doesn't strike me as the heavy mascara and eye-shadow type. I think of her more as a "take me as I am" type.

Dom

I think the extra eye makeup was used to emphasize the paleness that was still apparent in Julia's face. Even though Tom was destroyed, Julia had lost alot of blood, therefore she still wasn't back to her old self yet. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2002, 12:56:35 PM »

Excuse me but I was speaking of the "media" stereotyping of smokers. . usually only villans smoke.  BTW-I smoke a bit when the vodka moves me and I didn't find anything offensive. . but then again, i **knew** what I meant.. . light(en) up VAM.

JUST TEASING Julia99...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2002, 04:51:54 PM »
Julia99--I remember when I first was watching the tapes of DS.  My mom was in the room and saw Julia light up (this is first when Julia first came to Collinwood) and she told me that this meant that Julia was a villain.

She said that was typical for the time period.  If a show or movie had a woman smoking, it was code for something, usually that she was bad or loose or whatever.

And my mother was smoking cigarettes back in 1967--I think it's just one of those things that audiences would have immediately understood, much in the way that they got that when Bette Davis and Paul Henreid lit up during Now Voyager that it was code for sex.

Symbols and their meaning change.

Luciaphil

"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2002, 07:31:18 PM »
We didn't do hats.....we're Sicilian and I can only picture my Mother, Aunts and Grandmother in those miserable veils.

Sorry....what's THAT got to do with Dark Shadows?!

Rainey

Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with DS, but I sure remember that.....nice to know there's another Sicilian around  ;D

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2002, 07:34:07 PM »

Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with DS, but I sure remember that.....nice to know there's another Sicilian around  ;D

HA!  Forgot to sign that post......

Franimal

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2002, 03:49:38 AM »

JUST TEASING Julia99...

OOoops. .she lost her humor when her PC caught the KLEZ virus .. . :P
Julia99

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2002, 06:22:56 AM »

Put me on that "Sicilian's for Shadows" list!

Dom