Author Topic: Today's (Monday 7/22) Flubs  (Read 1865 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Today's (Monday 7/22) Flubs
« on: July 22, 2002, 11:29:28 PM »
There were some great bloopers today.

They wasted absolutely no time messing up in today's first ep, showing a still of the risen moon just a bit too long in the video as we heard (but did not see) Julia moving about in the audio.

Liz started to refer to Julia as Dr. Kauffman (sp?). I was hoping that Barnabas was going to refer to Jennings final resting place as a kauffman in his response, instead of coffin. That would have been hysterical. It's the first thing that came to my mind as he said, coffin.

For some reason, Tom's bite marks have the ability to relocate themselves on his victim's neck. Unless I am totally wrong (which is very possible) Julia's bite marks were located on the right side of her neck, but when she removed her scarf to check them out, she checked the left side. Come to think of it, though, I think Tom did bite her on the left side today. I am not sure anymore. I do know that the bites marks were on the right side when she was carried into Collinwood Friday and the marks were found by Blair. If I am totally cornfused, somebody please clear this up for me.

Frid flubbed a line as well, "It can't happen." I wasn't able to figure out what the heck he was talking about. (I guess I need help with this one too.)

Dom

Offline mfmdpt

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Today's (Monday 7/22) Flubs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 12:20:44 AM »
There were some great bloopers today.

They wasted absolutely no time messing up in today's first ep, showing a still of the risen moon just a bit too long in the video as we heard (but did not see) Julia moving about in the audio.

Believe it or not, Dom, this was Jim Pierson's doing. Whenever there's a glitch in the master tape, Pierson has edited it out and replaced it, usually with a still shot.

If you want to see what the opening originally looked like, download this RealVideo8 clip (1.54MB), taken from when this episode was shown in '80s syndication (hence the flash of the station's ID).

But all the other flubs were there to begin with. [lghy]
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 01:18:46 AM »

Believe it or not, Dom, this was Jim Pierson's doing. Whenever there's a glitch in the master tape, Pierson has edited it out and replaced it, usually with a still shot.

If you want to see what the opening originally looked like, download this RealVideo8 clip (1.54MB), taken from when this episode was shown in '80s syndication (hence the flash of the station's ID).

TOO COOL! Do you have clips of all the episodes?

They should have left it the way it was; the glitch wasn't that serious.

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 03:41:26 AM »
Plenty of good Monday flubs...

BUT--

None as good as what happened Friday: when Julia was summoned by the handyman vampire and left Collinwood, Liz followed after her; when the shot changed, the first camera could be seen pulling out of the other shot--WAY too slowly.

Obviously.

Willie had a good one today as he tried to make Barnabas admit his feelings for Julia--saying something to the effect of "You know that's not the way you don't want it to be."

Whatever, Willie... ;D
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 04:09:36 AM »
Willie had a good one today as he tried to make Barnabas admit his feelings for Julia--saying something to the effect of "You know that's not the way you don't want it to be."

Whatever, Willie... ;D

The beauty of Willie's character was that he was so excitable, stammered a lot, was not well-spoken, and could be occasionally incoherent, so that if John Karlen blanked out on a line, he could practically get away with saying anything he wanted, and it wouldn't seem like an obvious blooper.  

Ben

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 05:50:46 AM »
I believe the line was meant to be "...but I know that's not how you feel" and what he said was "...but I know that's how you....don't feel"

I wonder if JK emphasized that stammered delivery because it worked for the character,, or because he figured out early on that it was a good hedge in a situation where they apparently kept changing dialogue even after the actors were already talking!!!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 05:55:07 AM »
(I)f John Karlen blanked out on a line, he could practically get away with saying anything he wanted, and it wouldn't seem like an obvious blooper.

Karlen is one of those actors I've slowly come to appreciate over the years; he was one of the best on the entire series.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 06:41:41 AM »

The flub I noticed the most was a lot of noise going on in the background, the first time Liz was by Julia's bed, talking to her. Maybe the spirits were restless?  ::)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2002, 07:26:22 AM »
The flub I noticed the most was a lot of noise going on in the background, the first time Liz was by Julia's bed, talking to her.

God, I noticed that, too!

I was all like, "What? Are the stagehands shooting craps just off-camera?!"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2002, 07:51:48 AM »

Believe it or not, Dom, this was Jim Pierson's doing.

Oh, I believe it, and how! >:(

Thanks, this is the first time I've ever been able to download anything and have it work the first time. Unbelievable! Me way happy. ;D

Dom

PS - I like it with the glitch. [smrtasy]

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2002, 10:29:33 AM »
Another one to add to the list is Tom peeking while his eyes were suppose to be shut when Barnabas was just about to stake him.

And what was all that heavy breathing about? I didn't think vampires were suppose to breathe while they're asleep in their coffins? Yet, I couldn't help but notice Tom's chest & stomach rising again & again just before the staking took place. He almost looked to be hyperventilating.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2002, 11:25:34 AM »
I really enjoyed the DR. Kaufman thing - lmao!!

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2002, 03:36:33 PM »
I really enjoyed the DR. Kaufman thing - lmao!!

Then you'll probably like an instance in a prior storyline where the name "Dr. Hoffman" was correctly pronounced ... by David in greeting Dr. Woodard (at a time when Julia had not yet revealed herself as a doctor).  David's mid-course correction was bumpy, too: "Mr. Woodard."

I always found it endearing how Joan Bennett seemed the most visibly upset of all the actors when flubbing a line.   Or opening or closing a sticking door.  I must admit, however (and I know Gerard will agree), that she deserves an award for her brilliantly casual recovery in trying to remember "that city in Brazil ... Belom!  Yes!  Belom!" :D

Ben

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2002, 04:04:35 AM »

That was waaaaaaay better than what aired on SFIFI. . .
Julia99