Author Topic: OT: Haunted House  (Read 5607 times)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT: Haunted House
« on: January 03, 2004, 09:33:09 AM »
My sister moved into a "new" house a few months ago.  She claims it's haunted.  Apparently things disappear and then show up mysteriously, and the TV changes channels by itself.  I believe the house was built in the 20's or 30's - not sure - BUT, it's built near historic battlegrounds.  Hmm.....I dunno.  If the house were haunted wouldn't the dogs react in some way or another?
I have to go over there tonight for a New Year's-type gathering and plan to get the details.

Perhaps a seance is in order???   :o

;D  ;D  ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:OT: Haunted House
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 05:47:42 PM »
Any cold spots?
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 06:32:58 PM »
Connie,,,which Battlegrounds?

Nah, dogs don't always respond....bring a cat though >:D

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 09:40:59 PM »
If you have the seance, Connie, and one of the attendees goes into a trance and starts repeating over and over again:  "I don't understand!"...........move out!

Gerard

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 09:52:03 PM »
Wow, that's pretty spooky!  Tell your sister to grab her camera and start taking pictures all throughout the house, especially if she feels cold spots or hears noises.  She may be suprised at what turns up in them.  ;)

Also, here's a good link for her.  It's a Ghost Study group and they may be able to help her out.

http://pub105.ezboard.com/bghostystudylounge

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 11:21:40 PM »
     I live in a house built in 1921.  I heard moaning sounds at night and metal clanking(steam radiators), the lights flickered(knob and tube wiring) and the cold spots were spine-chilling(no insulation and drafty windows).  We have renovated the house but kept the radiators.  The one in my oldest son's bedroom sounds like someone laughing through their nose.  I think it gives this old house character.  However, I think having a seance is more fun than calling a contractor.  Connie, keep us informed.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 01:33:36 AM »
Hi Connie i'll bring the rest of the
gang we can have that seance !!!  Oh and say these
words too!! " YOU MUST" Have That Seance Tonight!!
                  Love Anne :D
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 08:02:31 PM »
Apparently things disappear and then show up mysteriously

Been there, seen that - several times a year, actually. Actually, silverware and cooking utensils (particularly measuring spoons, wire whisks, and slotted spoons) sometimes disappear, never to be seen again. And a pendulum in a clock that hasn't worked in years (but I like it, so I've left it up on the wall) begins swinging for no apparent reason (though the clock itself doesn't change time) and sometimes continues to swing for days at a time only to stop again, also for no apparent reason.

Just the normal stuff at my house. I'm so used to it now that none of it even phases me. Whenever it looks like something's disappeared for good, I just buy another one.  :D

and the TV changes channels by itself

Never had that happen, though...

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 11:52:04 PM »
and the TV changes channels by itself.

I think the big question here is: what was your sister watching? and were the new programs better?  8)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 03:06:46 PM »
Any cold spots?

You mean aside from my sister?  [lghy]

Connie,,,which Battlegrounds?

Princeton

Okay - here's the low-down.  :o

There don't seem to be any cold spots or strange noises, BUT.....
They SEE this guy!  Most often he's with a dog.  My sister says he wears a hat, and the dog looks like a Shepard-type dog.  I asked if she could see his face and she says no -- he's sort of a silhouette.

This is what's happened:  During the month they were working on the house and not living there yet - cleaning the place, clearing brush, etc. - there were 2 different instances when my sister was in the kitchen and she felt a hand grab her butt!!  Her husband was NOT behind her.  LOL  One time he was in front of her, a few feet away, and the other time he was in another part of the house.  She was startled obviously, and turned and saw no one.

Once they were moved in, she saw the guy more than once, walking by.  One night at dinner she told her husband, "Ya know, there's a guy living here."  WELL, her husband nearly spit his food across table!  Apparently HE had seen him too but didn't say anything 'cause he didn't know if my sister would freak or get nervous, or what.  He said he had seen the man walking past in the hallway outside the kitchen, heading for this back room where they've got some stuff stored.  They most often see him in that hallway, or the kitchen -- the back area of the house.  My sister also saw him out in the backyard through her kitchen window.  He was by himself - the dog wasn't with him.

She just shrugs it off - it doesn't bother her.  He doesn't cause any sort of "trouble" and seems harmless enough.  She is under the impression that he's happy they're living there.

A couple of weeks ago, her husband had a couple of friends/co-workers over and it was late - around 3 am.  Her husband and one of the friends had crashed for the night, and she and the other friend were sitting in the kitchen talking.  She started hearing music coming from the dining room - said it sounded like a radio playing.  There is NO source of music or a TV anywhere nearby.  She asked the guy if he heard the music and he said yes.  She got up to investigate and it was coming from a corner of the room where there's a floor lamp and some plants on a small table and shelves - that's it.  As she moved closer, the music got louder.  Their friend was freaking out.  LOL  She said it must be the ghost and told him about it.  He went nuts!  Couldn't believe it.  He was gonna be sleeping in that back room and was all nervous and took a knife with him to bed.  LOL  My sister kept saying, "Don't take that to bed - you'll cut yourself!!  Nothing's going to happen."  Well, he would have none of it, and went to bed with the blanket wrapped around his head, clutching the knife.  ROFL

Apparently the house has been vacant for the last few years.  Before that, some historical society was using it, and before THAT, two elderly women lived there.  Beyond that, my sister doesn't know anything.  (The house and property are owned by the State - her husband works for the parks department and they have the house for as long as he works for them - or until he dies - whichever comes first).  ANYWAY, a couple of houses up the road toward the Battlegrounds there is another house that has some "ghostly" stuff going on too.

As far as pictures, my sister doesn't have a camera at the moment but is planning on buying a digital one in the next couple of weeks.  When I was over there the other night, I took my new camera to try it out, take pictures of the Christmas lights, etc.  (This thing is sooo complicated -- all the possible settings -- I'm so confused)  [hdscrt]
I took a bunch of pictures and put them on a website for her.  Haven't had the chance to study them for any sort of ghostly apparitions as of yet.  LOL
Ya all are welcome to go visit if you care to search for this guy!  [sure]

The URL is:  http://mywebpage.netscape.com/BeamOfLite1/NewYears/index.html

Happy hunting!

-CLC   ;D

By the way.....thanks for the link, Cassandra.  I passed it along.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 05:17:13 PM »
Fascinating, Connie!

Although I remain a bit of a skeptic concerning ghosts, I know a number of intelligent, emotionally stable people who have experienced ghostly phenomenon so there must be something out there.  A couple I know experienced a very unpleasant and even menacing ghostly presence for a number of years until they called on a priest who with prayer and holy water calmed things down considerably.

I have to disagree with others about having a seance, which may inadvertently connect you with spirits you don't want anything to do with.  Maybe that's being alarmist, but better safe than very sorry, if you know what I mean.   [woryy]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 05:24:15 PM »
That is so neat!  I sometimes wonder, in a hypothetical kinda way, if there are "portals", like time or even space portals, in which what has happened before is happening and temporarily co-mingling with what's happening now.  Sorta like the parallel time room.  What's being experienced, both in sight, sound (like the music) and touch consists of events from another time or place (maybe a parallel universe?) that somehow "collide" with the present.  Maybe that man (with or sans the dog) is in his own time and space and witnesses things from your time and space and is just as perplexed.  Imagine him living in, let's say, 1931 and from the corner of the living room he suddenly hears South Park.  Or possibly someone living in the house seventy years from now who is seeing "this woman" walking around (i.e., you!) and hears Brittney Spears singing from a corner where they have their sofa and floor lamp, but you had your stereo!

Gerard

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 07:42:25 PM »
     I love Gerard's theory about time and space co-mingling.  It would explain some of the events I have read about.
     I am inclined to agree with Happybat about not stirring things up with a seance.  Who knows what sorta of bogie might make himself at home afterwards.  The ghost must be an animal lover if his dog stayed loyal to him even in death.  He can't be all bad.  Although, I don't know if I could handle the butt-grabs.  How do you smack a ghost across the face? 
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 12:56:40 AM »
I am not so sure I would be as calm as your sister.  Even though he seems to be harmless.  Glad she is able to deal with it with a sense of humor.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 11:17:57 AM »
I have to disagree with others about having a seance, which may inadvertently connect you with spirits you don't want anything to do with.  Maybe that's being alarmist, but better safe than very sorry, if you know what I mean.   [woryy]

I agree with you Happybat!  Years ago when we were growing up my older sister (who was around 13 at the time) and her friends held a seance in her friend's basement.  The friend's house was connected to a church and her friend's father was the Minister there.  My sister said at first nothing was happening and then suddenly one of the guys at the table started acting real strange. She said at first some of them thought he was joking around (although my sister claims he wasn't the joking type) but then it started getting real serious. She said he was talking in a foreign language and then started going into some kind of convulsions, shaking at the table with his eyes rolling to the back of his head.  Everyone was getting real scared and then suddenly she said he was lifted up off his seat and thrown across the room!   At that point she said they were all crying & screaming hysterically while some of the others ran upstairs to get the Minister.  When the Minister came downstairs he found the kid unconsciecous on the floor and tried to revive him with smelling salt.  My sister said when the kid came too he didn't remember a thing and was more scared at being woken up on the stone cold floor than anything else, not to mention the huge bump on his head!  She said the Minister then blessed the place and gave them all a lecture on not trying to open doors that they may not be able to close.
My sister, who is close to 50 now to this day still gets scared whenever we talk about it.    Funny how they make it look so easy & fun on DS!!

Connie, the pictures were great!  Your sister has a lovely home too. But I swear I see a faint image of a man's face looking in the window on the picture that says " awww that's my baby."  It's near the very bottom of the photo and when I looked through my magnifying glass it looks like he's wearing glasses!!   Maybe it's just my imagination but that's what I see.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"