Author Topic: Jan./Feb. Sci Fi Schedule- 1897 Continues  (Read 3280 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Jan./Feb. Sci Fi Schedule- 1897 Continues
« on: January 02, 2003, 10:09:47 PM »
Good news! In the months of January and Febuary, DS will only be pre-empted once. Every weekday in Febuary DS will air.

You can see the January schedule at http://www.freewebz.com/dscollins/scifi.html

Below is the Febuary schedule:

02/03: #792 & #793
02/04: #794 & #795
02/05: #796 & #797
02/06: #798 & #799
02/07: #800 & #801/2

02/10: #803 & #804
02/11: #805 & #806
02/12: #807 & #808
02/13: #809 & #810
02/14: #811 & #812

02/17: #813 & #814
02/18: #815 & #816
02/19: #817 & #818
02/20: #819 & #820
02/21: #821 & #822

02/24: #823/4 & #825
02/25: #826 & #827
02/26: #828 & #829
02/27: #830 & #831
02/28: #832 & #833

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Jan./Feb. Sci Fi Schedule- 1897 Continues
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 11:42:35 PM »
    Thanks for the info, VWR.  You made my day.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2003, 01:31:33 PM »
Good news! In the months of January and Febuary, DS will only be pre-empted once. Every weekday in Febuary DS will air.

02/17: #813 & #814

DS isn't being pre-empted for President's Day?! The last time that happened was back in 1996 during the show's second run. Sci-Fi has even been known to pre-empt DS on Valentine's Day for a Beauty and the Beast marathon. So, could this actually mean that 2003 could shape up as a year with fewer pre-emptions than ususal? One can only hope. [wink2]

Connie

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2003, 02:57:18 PM »
I'm surprised they don't pre-empt for Ground Hog's Day.

[silly]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2003, 03:13:02 PM »
I'm surprised they don't pre-empt for Ground Hog's Day.

[lghy] They haven't done that one yet, Connie. But let's not give them ideas. [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2003, 06:17:55 PM »
Oh, that's just brilliant guys.....let's keep making pissy comments about Sci Fi and sooner or later some little toady in programming will decide to swap DS for re-runs of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".....PERMANENTLY!!!

In case we all didn't notice, being moved to the 8am time slot was NOT a reward for bringing in great revenue-generating numbers.  The next stop might be 3am.....and from there, oblivion.

So, perhaps we might want to refrain from nibbling on the fingers that feed us?

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2003, 06:34:22 PM »
Oh, that's just brilliant guys.....let's keep making pissy comments about Sci Fi and sooner or later some little toady in programming will decide to swap DS for re-runs of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".....PERMANENTLY!!!

In case we all didn't notice, being moved to the 8am time slot was NOT a reward for bringing in great revenue-generating numbers.  The next stop might be 3am.....and from there, oblivion.

So, perhaps we might want to refrain from nibbling on the fingers that feed us?

rainey

I see this a little differently.  The Sci-fi channel has been abusive to fans of Dark Shadows.  I don't kiss the fanny of my abuser.  They treat fans of other cult favorites no better.  Everything from Lost in Space to Farscape has felt their ax.  Add us all together and that could be a sizable audience.  At best, they are being short-sighted.  At worst, they are being just plain stupid.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2003, 07:41:42 PM »

The Sci-fi channel has been abusive to fans of Dark Shadows.  I don't kiss the fanny of my abuser.  They treat fans of other cult favorites no better.

I may be speaking from a general lack of knowledge, but isn't the term "abusive" just a tad strong here?  Okay, Scifi has been notorious for preempting DS any chance they get, but at least they ARE showing DS and, if the schedule above is correct, it will be on a regular basis for the next two months.  Let's be grateful that SOMEONE is airing it!  

Many years ago, A&E showed another favorite show of mine, Quincy M.E., regulary, but then mysteriously stopped airing it, and no other network is either.  So, let's count our blessings and see the glass as half full this time!  :)
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2003, 08:51:46 PM »
if the schedule above is correct, it will be on a regular basis for the next two months.

That's the schedule that's on Sci-Fi's Web site. And a while ago Shadowgram reported that DS would be on Sci-Fi throughout 2003. So, there's really no reason to worry that Sci-Fi might drop DS anytime soon. :)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2003, 09:44:25 PM »
and 3 am might not be a bad time Rainey because it would mean they still will show it and we can always tape it!
(what is on 3 am on Sci Fi?)
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2003, 12:05:15 PM »
Happybat Wrote:

Many years ago, A&E showed another favorite show of mine, Quincy M.E., regulary, but then mysteriously stopped airing it, and no other network is eitherfull this time!  

I think I saw this recently advertised on the Pax channel. This is the show starring Jack Klugman, right?

(what is on 3 am on Sci Fi?)
jennifer

(Being the night owl that I am)  At 3am (Eastern time) Sci-Fi usually shows one of their paid advertising programs,  but you never can tell with them because once in awhile they'll throw in a certain show out of the blue.

Thanks VWR for the upcoming schedule! This is great!![thumb]

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2003, 10:47:57 PM »

That's the schedule that's on Sci-Fi's Web site. And a while ago Shadowgram reported that DS would be on Sci-Fi throughout 2003. So, there's really no reason to worry that Sci-Fi might drop DS anytime soon. :)

That's reassuring, MB!  So now I won't feel guilty chuckling if Sci-Fi once again preempts DS on that most ironic of days, Halloween.

Ben

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2003, 11:39:58 PM »
I seem to recall singing this song once already, but here goes:

Sorry guys, but I've got cynicism running through my veins instead of blood.  I don't care if the Sci Fi channel swears on their collective grandmothers that they'll run "Dark Shadows" through to the bitter end.......if the opportunity to boost it's ratings comes along and it means giving DS the ax, we'll all be synchronizing our DVD-players and VCR's, and begging each other for missing episodes.

No, onyx_treasure, I'm not suggesting we grovel.  Why bother.....they couldn't care less.  They already know how many fans are tuning into  DS every day.  They HAVE to know those numbers.  And of course they realise we'd ALL be furious if the show was yanked.....but what would we do about it?  Threaten never to watch the channel again?  

How many of us routinely watch anything else on Sci Fi?  I watch the Twilight Zone every once in a while.  I think I caught a couple of episodes of Stargate.  If I forget to turn the TV off after DS, then Forever Knight has been on while I did laundry.  Is loosing ME as a viewer a big worry for Sci Fi?  

What about the miniseries "Taken".  It gave Sci Fi the highest ratings of any cable channel, for the first time.  I'd be curious to know how many of US were watching that.  I certainly wasn't.  And I don't think that would come as any surprise to the number-crunchers at Sci Fi.

And that 's not even getting into the question of age demographics.  Quite a few of us DS fans are old enough to have been original viewers.  Do you think WE'RE the demo that this station wants?  Somehow I tend to doubt it.

So, yes, it's frustrating as hell to know we really don't count for very much with the people who control our ability to all be watching the same episodes at the same time, and yes, it's really okay to bitch and moan here on OUR forum (especially if MB is going to lead the way, snarky little trouble-maker that he is [smrtasy] ) just so long as we don't delude ourselves that we really  have any control over this in the end.

raineypark    

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2003, 11:44:42 PM »
it's really okay to bitch and moan here on OUR forum (especially if MB is going to lead the way, snarky little trouble-maker that he is [smrtasy] )

Honestly, I wasn't bitching and moaning. I was expressing my surprise that DS won't be pre-empted for President's Day and a hopeful note that it could mean there might be fewer pre-emptions this year. :)

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2003, 03:40:18 AM »

No, onyx_treasure, I'm not suggesting we grovel.  Why bother.....they couldn't care less.  They already know how many fans are tuning into  DS every day.  They HAVE to know those numbers.  And of course they realise we'd ALL be furious if the show was yanked.....but what would we do about it?  Threaten never to watch the channel again?  

And that 's not even getting into the question of age demographics.  Quite a few of us DS fans are old enough to have been original viewers.  Do you think WE'RE the demo that this station wants?  Somehow I tend to doubt it.

raineypark    

I have to agree with you on this one.  However, I begged my cable company to carry Sci-fi.  My local newspaper even complained about the poor selection of channels available.  When a survey was sent out, I selected the Sci-fi channel.  By the time we got the Sci-fi channel, Dark Shadows was in the middle of 1897 story line.  When the series ran to the last episode, Sci-fi channel canceled the series.  I still held out hope that it would return so I continued to support the channel in subsequent surveys.  Since the demographics here in Maine tend to be older, I am sure the viewership for a channel like the Sci-fi channel would be low anyway.  If it is canceled again, I could see my cable company canceling it in lieu of something else.  Do they have a 24-hour Lawrence Welk channel?