Author Topic: Slowness  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Slowness
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2002, 09:36:48 AM »
I said I had DSL, not ESP.

[lghy]

No, I suppose that's my department. [winkb]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2002, 10:01:06 AM »
No, I suppose that's my department. [winkb]

LOL!

I really just wanted to make my 1000th post tonite.  Yes, I'm fluffing.  The forum administrators have gone to hell in a hand basket. ::)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2002, 10:58:15 AM »

I really just wanted to make my 1000th post tonite.  Yes, I'm fluffing.  The forum administrators have gone to hell in a hand basket. ::)

After all the hell you folks have been through working to fix the forums for us, I'd say you've earned the right.

It's so good to be back! :)

ProfStokes

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2002, 07:36:22 PM »
None of you people has a freaking clue what Forum Hell really is.  I don't want to hear any more bitchin' from anyone who actually CAN get on the forum....this is my first successful log on in a week.   I thought it was a disaster when the pages froze and the posts disappeared, and certain threads refused to open no matter how I tried to get at them.  But nothing compares to not being able to get on here at all....and no, it wasn't because the server had a nervous breakdown!  Unfortunately, no one seems to have a clue WHAT the problem is.

So quit 'cher bellyachin'!!  >:(

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2002, 08:32:07 PM »
...this is my first successful log on in a week.   I thought it was a disaster when the pages froze and the posts disappeared, and certain threads refused to open no matter how I tried to get at them.  But nothing compares to not being able to get on here at all....and no, it wasn't because the server had a nervous breakdown!  Unfortunately, no one seems to have a clue WHAT the problem is.

So quit 'cher bellyachin'!!  >:(

rainey

I've sent you a bottle of virtual pepto bismol. Drink half of it and log in, in the morning...

Dr. MomDom ;) :)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2002, 11:17:41 PM »
MB Wrote:
I'm using a dial-up connection, and as you can see, things are just breezing along for me at the moment...

MB,  how do you get to those graph's?  Is there a link that you have to go to to get that?  

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2002, 12:47:16 AM »
MB,  how do you get to those graph's?  Is there a link that you have to go to to get that?

Cassandra, that's from a program called Ping Plotter. It provides a traceroute to IP of your choice and illustrates the hops using the graph. It's a $15 program, I believe, available from http://www.pingplotter.com. There's a freeware version, but I've never used it so I don't know what features it has (or doesn't have).

It's a nice little tool to have if you're interested in figuring out where your logjams are; if you don't do traceroutes from time to time now, though, it's probably not a real great investment for you.

--Mark

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2002, 01:30:00 AM »
Cassandra asked:
>MB,  how do you get to those graph's?  Is there a link
>that you have to go to to get that?

Cassandra, that's from a program called Ping Plotter.

Thank you, MR. ;)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2002, 01:51:46 AM »
NP, MB.

MR

"I am not the Mysterious Benefactor. I am the Great Went."

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2002, 01:24:28 PM »
Mark Wrote:

Cassandra, that's from a program called Ping Plotter. It provides a traceroute to IP of your choice and illustrates the hops using the graph. It's a $15 program, I believe, available from www.pingplotter.com. There's a freeware version, but I've never used it so I don't know what features it has (or doesn't have).

It's a nice little tool to have if you're interested in figuring out where your logjams are; if you don't do traceroutes from time to time now, though, it's probably not a real great investment for you.

Thanks Mark. I checked out the site and will probably try out the free software for now just to see how it goes.  Maybe then I'll get some answers to some of my computer problems, especially the ones that Im constantly blaming AOL for!

Cassandra[/font]

"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2002, 03:07:26 PM »
It's a nice little tool to have if you're interested in figuring out where your logjams are...

[wavey]
Logjams?  (I got yer logjams right here)

Ya know, with the board crawling most of the time for me, I thought...well, why don't I try Netscape Navigator, 'cause MB has said it's much better than IE.  Well I downloaded it and used it a little, then tried to get on here and I got a message saying it wouldn't work with this board.

-CLC
(ready for the funny farm)  [roll3]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2002, 11:40:40 PM »
Ya know, with the board crawling most of the time for me, I thought...well, why don't I try Netscape Navigator, 'cause MB has said it's much better than IE.  Well I downloaded it and used it a little, then tried to get on here and I got a message saying it wouldn't work with this board.

Connie, you must have inadvertently downloaded the older version of Netscape, Netscape Communicator 4.x. But any version of Netscape 6.x will work fine. In fact, I'm using 6.2.3 to post this. ;)

Connie

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2002, 12:21:13 AM »
Connie, you must have inadvertently downloaded the older version of Netscape, Netscape Communicator 4.x. But any version of Netscape 6.x will work fine. In fact, I'm using 6.2.3 to post this. ;)

MB...[wavey]
I downloaded Netscape 7.0

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2002, 04:31:15 AM »
MB...[wavey]
I downloaded Netscape 7.0

Ooooh - sorry about that. Midnite and I have posted that Netscape 7.0 doesn't work with the forum yet, but perhaps you missed them or simply forgot. (If you're anything like me, you've probably been doing a lot of forgetting lately. For instance, I forgot all about Netscape 7.0 when I answered your post. [lghy])

There are a few security issues with Netscape 7.x that have to be worked out before we'll let people use it. Unfortunately, with everything that's been going on with the forum during the past few months, I haven't been able to hunt around the 'Net to see if anyone has come up with a fix for them - and I certainly haven't had the time to experiment on my own. But hopefully the ban on 7.x will be lifted soon ;)

Connie

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2002, 04:44:17 AM »
...but perhaps you missed them or simply forgot. (If you're anything like me, you've probably been doing a lot of forgetting lately.)

Yes -- sadly the case.  I can't remember ANYTHING at all.
(old age creeping in, mental instability, etc.)

Well, would it be worth it to go download a different version?  Does the board really work a lot better with it?  I was also interested in it 'cause I wanted to mess around with the Communicator program and see what I could do with it.  I'll go to any lengths to avoid learning HTML.  Too complicated and time consuming.

-CLC  [silly]
Mentally challenged