Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0425  (Read 1204 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0425
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:25:20 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0425
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 07:39:29 PM »
I love the way Ben puts his hand on his open mouth when he's trying to think.

Now Natalie says that the details of the events leading to Josette's death were in the book - but really, they couldn't have been.

I'm never as shocked or unhappy over Josette's death as I feel I ought to be.  To a large extent it's because it's so quick, and because we don't see her hitting the rocks.  This is very wrong of me.  The fact that I don't see something doesn't make it any the less tragic.  But my imagination does not fill in the gaps, probably because I don't want it to.  Still, when I watched this episode today, there was a further reason for not grieving so much over Josette's death: I had thought more than usual about who Josette was and what she was to become, and I didn't like it.  Years later we will meet a female vampire who is elegant, not the monster that was shown to Josette.  But even if she were an elegant vampire, Josette would still no longer be Josette.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 09:50:37 PM »
Given how it's an understatement to say that DS often lapsed when it came to continuity, I've always thought that it's quite amazing how, when the scene between Natalie and Josette just prior to Josette being lured to Widows' Hill is restaged after Kitty fades into the past in Ep #885, they basically reuse the exact same dialogue. Though they don't get the same clothes:

1968: Ep #425

1969: Ep #885 - Josette realizes she has lost Barnabas' ring -
and so the prophecy starts...

However, they often change clothes when they restage a scene that appears in consecutive episodes, never mind when nearly two years has elapsed.  [hall2_undecided]  So, I suppose we should be grateful that they got the dialogue right because, after all, that's what was really important.  [hall2_wink]

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 07:09:03 PM »
The storm, Barnabas's voice, and the melody from Josette's music box, all combine to make a very erie atmosphere.

After Josette has fallen over Widow's Hill, Barnabas crying Josette's name and Angelique's delighted laughter create a very tragic scene.

A very sad episode.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 11:02:13 AM »
Yes, indeed, this was a very sad episode. [bawl] It's kind of scary in a way, though. [shkdg] It seemed like things were going along OK, but then the lost ring and breaking glass began the events that lead to the end for Josette. Try as she might, Natalie could not change what was to happen. I don't think I would like to know when and how I will die - although I hope it's not for many years to come.

I think Josette broke away from Barnabas, but she didn't jump. I think she just lost her footing at the edge.  [ideag] That scene when she fell, and then Barnabas called out to Josette with Angelique's insane laughter in the air was very dramatic - it's so exciting it had me on the edge of my seat and sent chills up my spine. [hall_shocked] One of my favorite scenes in the entire show. The acting was spectacular. [clap2]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hall2_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 03:45:51 AM »
Why would the legend say that the sound of shattering glass was heard rather than just saying a lantern was knocked over and broke into pieces?  Why be so enigmatic when the facts are so straightforward and simple?

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 04:56:47 AM »
Why would the legend say that the sound of shattering glass was heard rather than just saying a lantern was knocked over and broke into pieces?  Why be so enigmatic when the facts are so straightforward and simple?
Short English major answer: Because legends lose their mystique if they are straightforward.  [snow_wink]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 05:13:56 AM »
Short English major answer: Because legends lose their mystique if they are straightforward.  [snow_wink]

Good point.