Author Topic: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #05  (Read 1516 times)

Watching Project 2

Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #05
« on: October 18, 2008, 02:00:09 AM »
For those who may have missed it the first time around, here's the montage for Ep #5 that we created in the forum's VantageNet days to celebrate the '91 series' 10th Anniversary:

And here's the recap/preview:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Recap-Preview_5.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Recap-Preview_5.swf</a>

(To control the play of the video, right-click on it and use the controls.)
[/video]

(More to come...)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #05
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 05:02:48 AM »
(That promo did a good job of hinting at things without giving too much away – I also found it helpful in making sure I had the right episode!)

When I put on the DVD with episode 5, it was late, I thought I'd just watch a few minutes and relax a bit - but soon found I was totally unprepared for what was to come. Now, I‘m anxious to view it again.  This episode was powerful and disturbing.  Beginning with Maggie’s fleeting visions of the aged Barnabas, this episode took a truly flesh-crawling turn.  The way that scene was done, and the actress playing Maggie's expressions, was very believable.  Then, the setup begins, with Carolyn walking into the Old House - a big “uh-oh” ... (couldn’t Willie have locked the damn door when he left?).

Barnabas’s appearance was as shocking as that scene in the cellar in “Psycho.” His attack on Carolyn was vicious and terrifying, but what made it even more disturbing was that she is his own flesh and blood.  And what made that disturbing realization even worse was Barnabas’s agony over what he’d done.  On second thought, I don’t honestly know whether I want to watch that part again.  The emotions are so raw, so intense.  It was very well done, well acted by all three of the actors in that scene, and very effective – maybe too effective.

Julia really turned out to be a [rhymes with “witch”]. I mean, yeah, she had a right to be hurt and angry, but that doesn’t mean you drop your professional ethics (“do no harm”) or even your humanity.

The interiors, furnishings, and lighting of the scenes in the Old House, especially, are incredible.  Absolutely beautiful.

Overall, I think the 1991 series is doing a better job with the material than HODS did.  In large part, that’s probably due to the fact that the TV series makes it possible to give the material the time it deserves, for example in fleshing out the characters.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »
I can't get excited over the fact that Carolyn is Barnabas's blood kin.  The relationship is pretty distant, and I see no family resemblance - either physical or mental - so it didn't seem to me as though Barnabas was attacking a cousin.

As somebody commented last week, shouldn't Julia have known long ago that something was going on between Barnabas and Victoria?  Surely there were occasional exchanges at the dinner table of "Where's Victoria?"  "Over at the Old House again."  Followed by a discussion of whether Mrs. Johnson should be allowed to cook for Barnabas when she's supposed to be working for Elizabeth, and who paid for that squab anyway?

Why didn't Julia braid her hair before going out in the rain to the mausoleum?  It wouldn't have taken her more than half a minute, given how experienced she is at braiding, and it would have made her hair much easier to deal with when she got home.

My token positive remark for this episode: once again, I like Maggie.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »
The best episode so far.  The filming is excellent and I was totally enthalled by everything going on.  Liked the Maggie vision and it fit into the storyline very well.  I pitty poor Dr Hoffman because I think she didn't mean to go as far as she did.  Barnabas was excellent as the terrifying monster and I did feel his pain and horror at what he had done.  I'm actually beginning to feel sorry for him.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:30:40 AM »
i felt like the ante was upped in this episode.

unlike the shlock fests of recent weeks there were moments here that were genuinely chilling despite the datedness.

the scene with vicki and doctor hoffman was odd.the inexplicably present houseguest and the nanny keeping secrets from the family that is hosting them.it had a funny "backstairs" feel to it.who's running the show in this place?certainly not roger and elizabeth.they're not even in this week's episode.it's obvious by now that despite her special billing jean simmons is going to be a peripheral figure in this tale.

and what's with this family's some-have-em/some-don't british accents?no one in this place sounds remotely like down-easters.

the scene where willie and julia are hiding in a closet was funny too.aren't vampires supposed to have heightened senses?he couldn't sense these two snoops five feet away?

has anyone else noticed that julia's glasses have no lenses.they're just frames.i guess they're supposed to make her look "smart" but remember vamps don't make passes at girls who wear glasses.

the orphan thing finally comes up with vicki.i was wondering if this was going to be a factor but barnabas seems to like the idea for some reason.

the scene in the mausoleum was quite chilling.ben cross deserves kudos for his hissing,hate spewing delivery.barbara steel was awesome too.it was the first time this series reached it's aim in terms of being something of a sophisticated adult drama with a frightening supernatural edge as opposed to something more adolescent.

vicki over breakfast at the old house reminded me of the kind of girl guys fall in love with while their more interesting and eccentric friends stay at home drinking wine until they pass out in front of the television set.

finally the scene with barnabas and carolyn was quite harrowing.the 'blood of my blood' remark and the kiss that followed it had a creepy incestuous ring to it but whatever.

good episode.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Watching Project 2

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »
This ad wasn't specific to this ep - but it did appear in various magazines during the week of this ep to promote the series in general:

It's interesting how it's a reworking of the promo ad for Ep #4 with the shot of Barnabas changed and instead of having DS "The Series," they substituted the tag line from the miniseries, "Some Family Secret Just Can't Stay Buried".

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:59:24 AM »
the scene in the mausoleum was quite chilling.ben cross deserves kudos for his hissing,hate spewing delivery.barbara steel was awesome too.it was the first time this series reached it's aim in terms of being something of a sophisticated adult drama with a frightening supernatural edge as opposed to something more adolescent.

That scene was reallly bleak.  For the first time I had an understanding of Barnabas' horror at having to return to the coffin. Despairing. And yet our sympathies with him grow because he is willing to make this self sacrifice in order to spare others.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Watching project 2

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
Previews:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Previews_5.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Previews_5.swf</a>

(To control the play of the video, right-click on it and use the controls.)
[/video]

One thing that's interesting about these previews is that a few scenes were included without having the day-for-night filter corrected, so they appear with a bluer tint than they do on the actual broadcast (and at the complete opposite end of the spectrum from how they appear on the DVD because there's no filtering at all).

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:00:24 AM »
Dark Shadows
Episode # 5

What can I say? I never skip the theme.  It's beautiful, haunting, and lusciously created by the fabulous Robert Cobert.  KUDOS always to his work on this show! Great score for sure through the entire run. 

I think the miniature looks good during the fog, the rain, the elements. I love the ominous VO from Miss Victoria Winters.  Joanna Going just sounds lovely narrating this beautiful story!

Willie seem so innocently sweet now, yet at the same time scared and when he says, “Yeah—yes” you can tell Barnabas has been teaching him to speak more proper. If the series had lasted imagine it ending with Willie really making something out of his life.  I think that is a neat thought. I start to find him and JIM FYE more endearing as the show goes on.   At first I was like uh okay!?!?! He is just weird, however I had a change of heart! They have a strange relationship however at the same time it works for the both of them.

I personally think that this is perhaps the most romantic of scenes in the series when Barnabas presents Victoria with the music box and asks her to dance the minuet!   “Victoria! I was born dancing the Minuet!” Barnabas says smiling, seeming finally content.  I think it's a fabulous scene and Joanna Going and Ben Cross cannot be commended enough in my eyes! I enjoyed hearing about the background of the minuet! I play piano however I play by ear so I have not studied music, so I wasn't aware that the minuet was neat connected to the French.

Oh hell here is Julia! I have to LOL though because of the way Barbara plays her.  I love how she tilts her head and her nails are wild long and really red.  “How nice of him” she demurs icily!  Again I love Barbara Steele!  Very interesting vibe between Julia and Victoria, and the tension is truly palpable.I think it truly strange that Julia didn't know anything about Victoria and Barnabas previously! However, one can surmise that Julia was being so private about her sessions with Barnabas and I  she  probably stayed locked in her lab most of the time.  And perhaps Victoria and Barnabas were slightly on the DL as well?! It's a theory! ;)

I thought that same thing about Barnabas not sensing Julia and Willie (his slave?) in the closet.  I found it weird him talking to the portrait and not really loving Victoria for who she is in this incarnation.  It's the Josette obsession!  If the show had lasted, it would have been nice to see him come to really love Victoria for herself than for her being his lost loves reincarnation.  I personally think it would have been a nice storyline to explore.

I love the old sailor tale that Carolyn ask Joe about.  I had heard it before DS but it was a nice little line. MTS is just gorgeous that is all there is to it!  The INFAMOUS palm tree blooper was in that scene when they left the dock! Where was the CGI?  I am not for sure if things could be removed then.  It is appropriate I think though. Do you think Carolyn and Joe went out before he and Daphne became a couple, it seems like there was some past there.

There are several HIGHLARIOUS outtakes from the scene where Julia is giving Barnabas his injection, on DS Resurrected.  If you are able to get a copy on Ebay or somewhere else I recommend you do.  It is a treasure with so many great outtakes and funny bloopers!  It would have made a nice extra for the DVDS if MPI had released them!

WOW!  The Blue Whale is dead as a door mat. It is cool that Maggie gets visions without having to touch things.  Actually Sookie on True Blood reminds me a lot of Maggie!! 

“Cats and what—“ Barnabas says which makes him more endearing to me.  It looks like a nice Maine gloomy day when B & V get rained on before entering The Old House—good job production team. [128]

I also think Matthew Hall and the rest of the writers from this particular episode really “got” the romantic aspect of Dark Shadows.  Nice to find out more about Victoria’s past and hear proclamation to Barnabas that she is an orphan.  “I don't know if I look like my mother or my father, but I know I look like her.”  Victoria says sweetly.

Barnabas gave Victoria that sweet smile after she agreed to stay with him, I really began to feel for Barnabas.  We as an audience saw for one split second the glimmer of hope in his eye!  Like a moment of true happiness. Thank God he isn't Angel. 

I really enjoy the music as Barnabas reads and tries to fight his hunger! Obviously he is feeling a bit randy!  Just like a man, can't control his self!  Hmmph….  If one were to compare vampire urges to sexual ones, I feel for the guy.  It can be very hard.   And no that isn't a euphemism; get your mind out of the gutter! ;)

Does Willie have a key to Collinwood??  Wonder how he got in?

At the crypt: probably my favorite SHOT of the whole entire series as Barnabas brings his hand up and we see one creepy eye and he says, “What have you done to me……JULIA?”  Chilling!!  Great stuff with BS & BC and at 14 I thought this scene was straight out creepy and at 31 I still find it creepy! Creepy shiver!

I love how Julia threw her head back as did Barnabas when she pierced him with her needle, satisfied. FIERCE!

Again I love ANYTHING shot on The Great Hall, Foyer and Grand Staircase and we get to see these sets when Willie comes for help from Julia.   Julia isn't having it! She is a woman scorned.

I thought the scene with Carolyn and Barnabas was pretty brutal and violent and terrifying.  They played it well. I love when it seems Carolyn is on her last (slutty) legs and Barnabas uses his  power to resurrect her.  COOL POWER!  “Blood of my blood, Kin of my kin.” It's almost incestuous in a way however, they are pretty distant cousins.

A-  Amazing episode.  Barbara and Ben really stood out tonight!!   [BOO]

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 05:15:51 AM »
Sorry for the double as I meant to add some treats!!  [8_1_1]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/