Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0394  (Read 715 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0394
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
Robservations #394

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0394

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
The haunted room assigned to the Countess is to be David's room.    Ang is stirring up fears of the supernatural, proving its existence at Collinwood.  Is that really to her advantage?   Shouldn't she let things settle down a bit?

Abigail is totally right in everything she says in this episode, even centering her suspicions on the right person for once.   Yet she's still, from the show's point of view, utterly wrong, except for getting all the facts right!   We cheer Andre's put-down of her, there take that you "old" biddy, you clueless paranoid ... but... she's right!   But I don't want to give her credit for it either....

It's Dr. Tongue's 3D House of Navy Surplus Sausage!   I'm starting to think there's a story behind Joel C's thrusting of equipment in Frid's facey area, like maybe a friend dared him to or something....  I'm also starting to wonder if it was just a habit he was unaware of, like maybe he always did it and no one wanted to tell him... Was it Frid's birthday, someone check on this....!   Nathan hopes he's not "out of line", total anachronism, sorry whoever wrote this.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »
Yes! I also noticed that Jeremiah's intended room becomes David's in 1968. Maybe that's why so many weird things happen when David is there!

This ep. contains one of my favorite exchanges in the show: Angelique hypothesizes that the trashing of Jeremiah's room was caused by his ghost, André agrees grimly that his sister won't want to stay there now. Abigail surveys the wreckage and says angrily, Joshua should have listened to me! He should have had the Reverend Trask perform an exorcism on the New House before we moved in. This is the work of the devil! she declares, adding, The Collinses were never subject to supernatural disturbances--till the du Pres family came. Thoroughly insulted, André declares, From you, madam, I expect nothing but the narrow opinions of a lonely, fanatical old woman. Abigail’s shock tells us that no one has ever addressed her this way before. Before he stomps out, André adds, It is at once a pity and a blessing that you were not born in France. Good day, madam!

I can't watch the episodes at this point, MT, but I will take your word for it on the matter of JC's equipment. It does seem like truly weird. But I remember liking the scene where Nathan talks to Barnabas about the wisdom of his marriage to Angelique. For once he combines diplomatic tact with very clear meaning when he asks, Must you marry because the lady’s honor is concerned? Amused in spite of himself, Barnabas assures him it isn't, but gets angry when Nathan says he was hoping Barn would marry Josette after a suitable interval of mourning. In the end Barn apologies, and Nathan wishes him happiness, though he looks as if he doubts it will happen. Poor Barn sinks down into a chair, looking exhausted and discouraged.

Does Barnabas's very nice room at the New House eventually end up being Carolyn's? They look very similar.

Angelique is delighted (of course) that with a little help from Jeremiah, she has talked Barnabas into marrying her tonight. Thank you for being so good to me! she exclaims, looking radiant as she lays her head on his shoulder. But she is so self-absorbed that she doesn't notice how reluctant Barnabas is to embrace her….

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:11:05 AM »
I'm grateful that the cast and crew got their shit together and produced a far superior show than the last episode. Not the best but certainly nowhere near the bottom of the heap.

Blackburn had the juicest role to play today followed by Ford, IMO, though it's almost a toss-up. Both deliciously written if not well executed -- sufficient, yet lacking. You'd think that when Angelique recounted her ordeal with Abigail to Barnabas, that he would have taken note to how much sense Abigail made. People make comments to the earth's end about how stupid or dumb Vicki is but Barnabas is as much an idiot as any other clueless character on the show. The Dumbass list is quite long, IMO.

With all due respect to DarkLady's memory, for me the exchange between Lt. Saus...I mean, Nathan & Barn was filler as it seemed to serve no real purpose at all and it also wasn't that well executed - geez - did I use the word superior in reference to this episode?

MT, yeah, you'd think that it would behoove Ange to give the witchcraft a rest, but Ange's still using witchcraft in the new house does seem to still be working to her advantage, as Ange is on her way to getting everything she's been witching so hard to get. Silly witch.

Random notes: Sausage fest indeed, MT, (you had me rollin'!) and might I add that Jerimiah made out a lot better in death than life in that department. I don't know if Barns room is Carolyn's but that's a pretty snazzy fireplace, especially for a bedroom. Why the hell are the duPres still there? Does anyone think that the character of Joshua still thinks he will get the sugar cane contract from the duPres? I know he mentioned that Jerimiah's fortune now belongs to Josette, but...I don't know, I would think the duPres would have hightailed it out of there. I mean as far as they're concerned their bad luck started after they arrived at the Collins' estate. (And you'd think that Andre would have thrown a 'back attcha' in Abigail's face.) Ange seems to fear Abigail more than anyone else to date, lol. Any guesses as to why Jerimiah doesn't physically speak as opposed to mental telepathy speaking?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »
It's Dr. Tongue's 3D House of Navy Surplus Sausage!   I'm starting to think there's a story behind Joel C's thrusting of equipment in Frid's facey area, like maybe a friend dared him to or something....  I'm also starting to wonder if it was just a habit he was unaware of, like maybe he always did it and no one wanted to tell him... Was it Frid's birthday, someone check on this....!

Gee, you really think he thrust his crotch close to Frid's face?

I can't imagine where you got that idea.  [lghy]

And no, it wasn't Frid's birthday. His birthday was December 2nd and this ep was taped on December 28th. And as we've mentioned before, Crothers did indeed have a habit of doing almost the exact same pose from time to time.

(And BTW, the above capture is waiting for a set up and/or a caption on 1795/96's Complete This Phrase / Fill in The Blank(s) and/or Caption This! boards.  [snow_wink])

I don't know if Barns room is Carolyn's but that's a pretty snazzy fireplace, especially for a bedroom.

It's not the same room. For one, we never see a fireplace in Carolyn's room.  [snow_wink]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:11:38 AM »
the room Barnabas uses looks like Julias room with the fireplace from Vickie's room. I think that the window in Julia's room is the window in Vickies also.
Abigail finally decides the Dupre family is behind the withcraft. Im surprised she never considered this before with the Countess and her Tarot cards and the family being French and from Martinique.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times