Author Topic: Computer question re: Windows SP2  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Computer question re: Windows SP2
« on: August 31, 2004, 06:20:47 AM »
Could someone who is computer knowledgeable answer this question?  I know it's not DS related but perhaps it could be helpful to others who use computers to access this forum ..  ;)

I have had so-called "Dell Service Alerts" pop up on my laptop from time to time.  These aren't dated items and it took me a while to realize that some of them were just general information about the computer.  Now, however, I have gotten a couple of these Dell Service Alerts regarding Windows SP2.  They say I should download and install this.  Since these aren't dated messages, I have no idea if this is something new or not.  I could swear that I downloaded something called "Service Pack 2" for Windows back in February.  I remember the "SP2."

However, I cannot find that anywhere on my system.

For more information the Dell message said to go to Microsoft's page.  So I went to that page, and it scanned my system and said I needed to download and install it, a process that would take over an hour.

However, I don't want to do that if it's already on my computer.

Also, if it's really that important, I should have gotten a Windows Update message automatically, and I've never gotten one of those.

Does anyone know what the heck this SP2 is all about, and if it's something that has just come out, or might I have indeed installed it last February?

How important is it?

Thank you in advance, anyone who can help ...

;D
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: Computer question re: Windows SP2
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 06:32:29 AM »
It's new. It's big. It's raising a lot of eyebrows for that reason. Microsoft will gladly sell you a copy on cd so you don't have to download it.  ::)

There's an overview of features, etc., on the Microsoft site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

(MB, are we allowed to post links to Microsoft here?  ;D )

Beyond that, I can't tell you much except that someone I know who works on pcs for a living said that downloading it appears to have screwed up a bunch of driver settings for the printer and modem on a pc he was working on for a customer.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 07:05:30 AM »
This is Microsoft's big attempt to finally make Windows XP more secure.  They are urging everyone to use the automatic updates, as they want to do this gradually.

I'm waiting to see the effects.  There has been lots of talk that some things don't work with it.  Also, it depends on your connection.  I'm still using dial up and I read somewhere that it could take a couple of days continually on a dial up connection!!  So,  when I'm ready, I'll have to send for the CD.

MsCriseyde - you said "sell" a CD; I had assumed it would be free.
Josette

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 07:13:51 AM »
MsCriseyde - you said "sell" a CD; I had assumed it would be free.

I was told they would charge for shipping by my pc guru. Turns out they're not, so, if you only have a dialup connection, I would go ahead and order the stupid thing.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 10:13:10 PM »
(MB, are we allowed to post links to Microsoft here?  ;D )

Well... Just don't make a habit of it.  (:D)

As for SP2, I've read quite a few horror stories about it in various computer magazines and Web sites. (Not to mention even more complaints that there won't be any such fixes for the 90% of Windows users who don't run XP.  >:() Most Windows gurus are recommending that it be installed - but at the same time they're also warning that it can break some older Windows programs. The good thing seems to be that it breaks only a few programs - though if you're one of the people who uses those programs, I doubt that's much consolation.  :-

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 04:03:23 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  I think SP2 is designed specifically for Windows XP, so if that's the case I wouldn't think none XP users would be advised to download it.

As long as there isn't any urgency, I'll hold off for the time being but will probably go ahead and install it.  I don't think I have any older programs that would be aversely affected.  :)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 08:25:11 AM »
Somehow I got on a list to get a newsletter, WinXPnews, and this week's edition has a notice that the SP2 CD is available.

SP2 CD is Now Available!

Many of you have been asking when you would be able to order the CD containing service pack 2. This is especially important for those who have slow modem connections. Well, your wait is over. Microsoft is making the SP2 CD available free (you don't even have to pay shipping). To get yours now, jump on over to:
http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=040907TI-SP2_CD"

-------

When I used that link and tried to order it, a notice came up that the Certificate couldn't be confirmed.  Since the link came from the WinXPnews, I assumed it was trustworthy, but was still afraid to do it.

I went to microsoft.com myself and navigated to that page and it worked, no warning notice.  So, I don't know if the link is fishy or not.

They say it will take 4-6 weeks to get the CD.  By then I should have heard enough feedback to decide whether or not to use it.
Josette

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 04:41:46 PM »
Josette...is it free, or is there a charge (S&H??)?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 07:23:09 PM »
When I used that link and tried to order it, a notice came up that the Certificate couldn't be confirmed.  Since the link came from the WinXPnews, I assumed it was trustworthy, but was still afraid to do it.

Both the link and the newsletter are trustworthy. (And though I'm sure your intentions were pure, in the future you might want to think twice about posting links to sites that you suspect might be questionable - even with a warning that they might be.  ;)  Think of how you'd probably feel if someone did check the link out and something bad happened to their system...)

Somehow I got on a list to get a newsletter, WinXPnews

It seems like anyone who has ever entered their e-mail address in one of the required forms on Microsoft's site is automatically added to the mailing list, whether they actually use WinXP or not. I don't (obviously  ;D) but I still receive the newsletter (though, probably needless to say, because I know what it actually is, I delete it without ever bothering to open it  ).

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 03:12:57 AM »
Yes, Patti, free!!  Check the message again - they mention that even the shipping is free.  :)
Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 04:35:58 AM »
Josette,

Could you let us know if you hear anything more about SP2?  I'll try to check around with people here, too, but so far I keep forgetting to ask anyone.  Every time I turn on my computer i get a little thing that pops up telling me I should download now.  It's getting rather annoying.

P.S.  I discovered that what I had downloaded back in January or thereabouts was SP1.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 08:29:23 AM »
Well, I don't know that much about it.  The little I've seen seems to indicate that in most instances it works, but apparently even some MS programs have had problems with it.  I guess it depends on one's own set-up and what other programs are on it.  I'm mostly monitoring the comments on the WordPerfect forum I use to see how they feel about it.  If I hear anything fairly definite, one way or the other, I'll post it!!
Josette

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 05:35:47 PM »
I've had SP2 for a little over a week and no glitches thus far. My computer is fairly new and not running any very old programs. I'm still not using Internet Explorer/Outlook Express, since I have everything set up in Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird, so I don't know if there are any appreciable differences in the browser. No problems with Norton AV, The Cleaner Antitrojan, Symantec Firewall, or anti-spyware programs.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 06:15:51 PM »
So far, I've heard about two different types of issues.

One involves Outlook Express users losing their saved mail and address books. From what I gather, SP2 moves the files where these are stored to a different location and some OE users are having problems tracking them down.

The other involves users who, per Microsoft's own advice, disabled antivirus and firewall software during the SP2 installation, and then got zapped with some of that lovely browser-hijacking adware. So there isn't really an SP2 problem, just something that happened while the machine's defenses were down.

I'm not too keen on the notion of disabling AV or firewall protection while I'm on a network or dial-up connection, especially since my firewall software constantly tells me it's prevented some sort of intrusion while I'm dialed up through a certain ISP that I use. Sounds like another good reason to order the cd and avoid the online installation.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 07:31:54 AM »
Mark,

Did you disable your antivirus and firewall protection before downloading it?