Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1239  (Read 1254 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1239
« on: June 16, 2011, 09:38:52 PM »

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1239
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:12:29 AM »
Poor Melanie and Kendrick--what an awful wedding night! And it started out so promisingly too. Melanie is wearing a pretty bonnet, and even though it's been only a couple of hours since Gabriel stabbed her, she's no longer wearing a sling and can move her arm freely. She even laughs merrily, for the first time, when Kendrick carries her over the threshold. And once she and Kendrick are in her room they start to fulfill their wedding vows with enthusiasm and dispatch (despite the very creaky bed!). Then she remembers Daphne, and then Brutus appears to her for the first time, and she's possessed all over again.

I can't really feel too sorry for Catherine and Bramwell just now. Julia did have good intentions when she went to the Old House to warn Bramwell about Morgan--but we all know what the road to hell is paved with, don't we?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »
I guess Kate Jackson cleared out her locker yesterday... we get no overlap death scene, but Bramwell's announcement of it to Catherine.   Melanie and Kendrick's wedding happened off-camera.   Wouldn't this be a huge event which they'd want to show, on other soaps?    Is Melanie completely recovered from Gabriel's knife wound?

So... Melanie isn't possessed by the real spirit of Amanda, but by Brutus's idea of what Amanda was like, a betrayer and backstabber.   I doubt the real Amanda went around stabbing random people.   Kendrick gets initiated into the family in a big way, with an appearance from Brutus.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:27:29 AM »
Although splashy weddings are a traditional soap-opera staple, Melanie and Kendrick are wise to get married off camera. The on-camera weddings I can remember are not very promising affairs: Angelique and Barnabas. And look at how that worked out. Ditto Vicki and Peter Bradford/Jeff Clark, Carolyn and Jeb, and Judah and RT Daphne.

I always though Melanie was possessed by the real Amanda. Part of Brutus's plan in keeping her spirit somehow imprisoned is to warp her to serve his needs. The last thing he would want is for her to rest in peace.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 06:12:13 AM »
Were splashy weddings indeed a soap opera staple in 1971?  The first one I remember hearing about is Luke and Laura's wedding on General Hospital ten years later.

Bramwell's an odd duck.  He's clearly grief-stricken over Daphne's death, but already he's telling Julia he's the only man who can make Catherine happy.  The scene between Bramwell and Julia was fun.  However well Frid and Hall play their roles, it is simply not possible to forget that these are the same actors who played Julia Hoffman and Barnabas, so when Bramwell calls Julia his cousin, it's startling.

Kendrick's sort of impervious to humility.  Here's what he's learned in the past day or two:  Contrary to what he believed, finding out who Melanie's parents were didn't solve anything.  Contrary to what he believed, his fairy princess Melanie is quite capable of murder when she is taken over by the other personality.  Contrary to what he believed, taking Melanie away from Collinwood won't help.  Anything else?  I'm sure there's more.  But Kendrick continues to believe he can fix everything.  I remember watching the show in 1971 and thinking how nice Kendrick was.  And indeed he is nice.  But he's got a little too much in common with his daffy sister Stella.

At least Kendrick occasionally notices he was wrong.  Has Morgan noticed that Brutus's latest rampage is all his fault?  If Morgan had stayed in the Room instead of going exploring during his special night, he might have gone insane or he might be dead, but I strongly suspect that the entire Collins family wouldn't be facing imminent extinction.  (Or anyway, not from Brutus.)  And Morgan was wrong when he told Julia that it was OK to go into the Room during the day, too.  Oh, gosh, how I wish I could have seen him throwing a fit when Catherine told him that Daphne was dead.  If Catherine grieves for Daphne, it's because she fears she'll succumb to Bramwell's wiles now that he's free.  If Catherine attends Daphne's funeral, it's because she's looking for a chance to see Bramwell.  And so on and so forth.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »
I didn't watch soaps back when DS was in its first run (too busy being a Beatles fan), so I was just taking a wild guess about the splashy wedding stuff. But DS could have been the first--oh, well.

Catherine has certainly backed herself into a corner, hasn't she. And I'm sure a large part of Bramwell's grief for Daphne is sheer guilt. It's fun--although a bit disconcerting--to see him and Julia sparring.

I doubt if Morgan notices much of anything except the relative locations of Catherine and Bramwell. But who knows, maybe it was part of Brutus's plan to lure him to the secret room and have him get possessed. Maybe he was hoping that James would kill the whole family, but he turned out to be able to resist Brutus, at least a bit.