Author Topic: Grrr! DS DVD  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Grrr! DS DVD
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2002, 04:25:31 AM »

Can you imagine if Karlen and Dennis Patrick were ever teamed up to do a commentary?! [wink2] Watch out if they got into the whole issue of the ABC censors' concerns that there never be a hint of a sexual relationship between Willie and Barnabas! ;D And if Patrick managed to slip in a few of his limmericks, well, the DVD would not only need a Parental Advisory - the commentary would probably turn out to be NC-17! [lghy]

OOOOHHHH.....What a lovely idea!!!!!

Shall we start a letter-writing campaign?  Who do you know at MPI that we can deluge with requests for naughty limmericks, bawdy songs and stories about being arrested for chatting up a hooker?  [lghy]

Honestly, all that crap about having to bite Willie on the wrist and not the neck was idiotic.

Were they then completely oblivious to the S and M overtones of Barnabas taking his cane to Willie every other week?  I guess even sadism was fine...so long as it didn't have homoerotic leanings.  ::)

Hypocricy like that makes me [puke]

Rainey....who can't believe I just used that emicon....I HATE that emicon!!!!!   :P

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2002, 05:32:38 AM »
Brian, I'm going to take my defective DVD back to Best Buy this weekend. I'm going to file a complaint about their lousy return policy while
I'm at it.

Julianka7--and everyone else--please do complain about these ridiculous return policies.  Yes, I know there are people out there who will copy CDs, DVDs, computer software, etc--and then return the original to the retail store--but I truly believe that the vast majority of us are honest and will only return one of these media if they're defective.  (I mean--how many record albums did you return to the store in the 60s and 70s because you made a cassette tape copy of it!!) ::)

The retail stores, film companies, record companies and software companies are really crossing the line here--and alienating many more customers, I think, than they realize.

FYI--Im still awaiting an answer from Best Buy.

Another FYI, and BTW:  UPS customer service sucks--and if you want details, please email me.

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it" is RIGHT!

Brian

(Who loves his DS friends and buddies. . .)

Offline Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2002, 05:10:07 AM »
I just wanted to say that I was really amazed at the quality of the new DS DVD's.  I am really new to the whole DVD format, but I know from speaking to Jim Pierson that MPI was really involved in cleaning up these prints before they were transferred to MPI.  I saw the cover art for the next set coming out at the festival - and I think it's really cool.  I love the whole spooky woods ~ menu scenario!  :)  I think it is really creative and is fun to watch.  Call me simple LOL  ;) but I think MPI has done a great job with the DVD's.  I understand that there are problems with some DVD players and from everything I have read here - it sounds like it happens elsewhere and is a problem experienced when using this format.  

My two cents for the day~~~~  8)

Dean
"We are ignorant of the beyond because this ignorance is the condition of our own life.  Just as ice cannot know fire except by melting and vanishing." - Jules Renard

Offline Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2002, 05:13:06 AM »
<<before they were transferred to MPI>>>

OOPS!!..  :-[

I meant to say before they were transferred to DVD.

Dean
"We are ignorant of the beyond because this ignorance is the condition of our own life.  Just as ice cannot know fire except by melting and vanishing." - Jules Renard

Offline mfmdpt

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2002, 07:42:38 AM »
from everything I have read here - it sounds like it happens elsewhere and is a problem experienced when using this format.

It is, Dean. Probably the most well known case of a DVD that had playback problems on a lot of players was the release of The Matrix back in 1999. There was even a Web site set up that explained what brands/models of players had problems and how to go about having their firmware updated. But that certainly didn't stop The Matrix from going on to be the biggest selling DVD in the format's short history. If I'm not mistaken, I think it still holds the record.
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2002, 04:54:22 AM »
I took my DS dvds back to Best Buys today and got a refund!
I'd rather have a set that I could play on my DVD player,
but it doesn't look like that'll be happening.
So I'll just use my money to buy more of the MPI vhs
volumes  ;)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2002, 05:16:12 AM »

Glad to hear it!! I'm still awaiting an apology from that jerk at my local Best Buy--and I have resisted all temptations to go in and browse DVDs at Best Buy (I've been going to Circuit City and Borders, instead).  I'm hopeful the DS DVDs will play on my new machine when (if) they arrive via UPS [see earlier post] on Monday.

I have very strong will power when I make up my mind, and Best Buy joins Kroger, Pizza Hut and Wal-Mart on my list of businesses to never again patronize.

Brian

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2002, 05:52:04 AM »
I'd rather have a set that I could play on my DVD player,
but it doesn't look like that'll be happening.
So I'll just use my money to buy more of the MPI vhs
volumes  ;)

Wow!  I would have liked to have been an innocent bystander when you were trying to convince the BB pods to give you a refund! ;)

I hope you notify MPI of your problems so that they can issue more compatible future releases.
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2002, 07:56:25 AM »

Wow!  I would have liked to have been an innocent bystander when you were trying to convince the BB pods to give you a refund! ;)

I hope you notify MPI of your problems so that they can issue more compatible future releases.

Actually, it wasn't hard. I explained the trouble I had.
Then the young lady started to tell me about the
exchange or store credit. So I gave her my best
don't screw with Mother look and said, "I understand the store policy, dear. But I would prefer my money back." She gulped and looked me in the eye and gave it to me. ;D
And yes, I e-mailed MPI and told them about the trouble
I had with the DS DVDs. I think everyone who has had
any trouble should do the same.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2002, 08:28:13 AM »
And yes, I e-mailed MPI and told them about the trouble I had with the DS DVDs. I think everyone who has had any trouble should do the same.

Yes, and don't forget that in addition, there's a registered member of dsboards that is representing MPI, and on the 3rd page of this topic mpi_dvd_authoring welcomed comments and suggestions, so you can be assured that feedback posted in this topic will be heard by someone at MPI.  So please feel free to take advantage of that opportunity by providing input or airing grievances about any DS DVD here.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2002, 07:09:31 PM »

Actually, it wasn't hard. I explained the trouble I had.
Then the young lady started to tell me about the
exchange or store credit. So I gave her my best
don't screw with Mother look and said, "I understand the store policy, dear. But I would prefer my money back." She gulped and looked me in the eye and gave it to me. ;D

LOL, don't screw with Mother!!!

As someone who worked retail for too long, I can tell you that's been my personal experience, that if a customer is persistent enough (without being rude) and makes enough of a fuss, most managers will do what they can to appease them.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2002, 07:27:10 PM »

As someone who worked retail for too long, I can tell you that's been my personal experience, that if a customer is persistent enough (without being rude) and makes enough of a fuss, most managers will do what they can to appease them.

LOL--I guess next time I'll try my "don't screw with father" look (I'm old enough--I just don't have the kids to prove it! ;D). . .clearly being persistent without being rude didn't work for me with the BB manager.

Brian

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2002, 07:39:02 PM »

LOL--I guess next time I'll try my "don't screw with father" look (I'm old enough--I just don't have the kids to prove it! ;D). . .clearly being persistent without being rude didn't work for me with the BB manager.

Brian

I did say "most managers."  You might try going up the next step to whoever's above this person.  Or going back on a different day.  It's a PITA, I know, to keep doing that, but that's the only thing I can suggest.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2002, 12:56:45 AM »

Brian

LOL! Brian, I've had years of being the oldest daughter
of 7, baby sitting and raising my own 2 (daughter 22 and son 21) so I can give looks that speak volumes  ;)

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2002, 12:59:31 AM »

Luciaphil

That usually works for me Luciaphil ;)