Author Topic: OT - HAPPY XMAS SHOPPING DAY EVERYONE  (Read 1751 times)

Online Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
OT - HAPPY XMAS SHOPPING DAY EVERYONE
« on: November 29, 2002, 08:29:14 PM »
[wavey]  Hello all just wanted to say did everyone
start their xmas shopping yet??? I haven't i might
go Sunday maybe i'm not sure .  But i'll make sure
that i put on protective FootBall gear to get ready
for the crowds.     Take Care All
                               Happy Shopping
                               Love Anne

( PS THE Q-MAN AND I ARE ADVENTURING OUT
   SOON TO SHOP YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
         :P :P :P
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT - HAPPY XMAS SHOPPING DAY EVERYONE.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 10:07:51 PM »
I did start, but only catalog ordering which is probably the only type shopping I'll do this year - if I'm lucky. Probably not.

dom

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT - HAPPY XMAS SHOPPING DAY EVERYONE
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 04:00:15 AM »
I started around noon and got home just a few minutes ago ( a good 8 hour day). It was fun. I really did not hit any crowds that made me want to scream and I managed to find some fun gifts for those people who have everything. I had lunch at PF Chengs and right before we finished we stopped at a english pub for a brew. I can honestly say I had a good time.
Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Rhonda

• Junior Poster
  • Whattya call a redhead with an attitude? Normal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 08:13:02 PM »

You could not hold a gun on me and make me go to a mall the day after Thanksgiving, or anytime that holiday weekend. Yikes! I don't like crowds, standing in lines,  or cranky kids.

I do most of my shopping (Christmas and other) online or catalog. However, I was forced to go to a mall this Monday before Thanksgiving and it wasn't bad at all. A pleasant surprise. I guess the frenzy hadn't begun.

I also have a rule that I will not set foot in a grocery store the day before any major holiday. They are always packed with people and the lines are long.

The worst place to shop in my town between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the Super Walmart. It's open 24 hours, but you can show up at 10 pm and still have to circle to get a parking spot.

Rhonda
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.

-Mae West

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 11:54:28 PM »
Rhonda Wrote:

The worst place to shop in my town between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the Super Walmart. It's open 24 hours, but you can show up at 10 pm and still have to circle to get a parking spot.

Wow, a 24 hour Walmart!!  I'd be hitting that store way after Midnite then!!  That would be a great time for me to shop!  I doubt that there are other crazy folks like me who'll venture out that late at night to shop, but hey, if it beats the crowds,  I'll do it!  

Im like you Rhonda,  I hate crowds, especially long lines at the stores!  I can't tell you the last time I've been to a Supermarket either.  I'll make a list and send one of my daughters to go. The only Supermarket I'll ever enter is Trader Joe's because they have a really good system and their lines move real fast!!!  Stew Leonards is pretty good too, they get crowded, but have lots of check out lines so you move out of there quick.

Cassandra[/font]

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2002, 12:09:55 AM »
Our Walmarts are supposed to be converted to supers too, and that should be nice. When I worked nights, I used to go shopping for groceries, sometimes at 2 or 3 in the morning, and I loved it!

As far as Christmas shopping, it's definitely gotten easier since the internet!!   :)

Bernie

Offline Rhonda

• Junior Poster
  • Whattya call a redhead with an attitude? Normal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2002, 12:47:21 AM »
Wow, a 24 hour Walmart!!  I'd be hitting that store way after Midnite then!!  That would be a great time for me to shop!  I doubt that there are other crazy folks like me who'll venture out that late at night to shop, but hey, if it beats the crowds,  I'll do it!

We actually have two 24 hour Walmarts, one on the north end and one on the south.  

The latest I have been to one was  2 am. I was printing out a paper due the next morning, and my printer ran out of ink. I drove through a raging thunderstorm to get there. There were a few people buying groceries and shopping as if it were the middle of the afternoon.

The great thing about Super Walmarts, Bernie, is that you can get almost anything you need/want there. They have a bakery, pharmacy, deli, and a bank inside, plus groceries, DVD's, CD's, Tv's,  computers, clothes, books, a garden center and auto shop, (you can have your oil changed while you're shopping).

Rhonda (who does not have stock in Walmart but wishes she did)
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.

-Mae West

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2002, 01:09:10 AM »
The great thing about Super Walmarts, Bernie, is that you can get almost anything you need/want there. They have a bakery, pharmacy, deli, and a bank inside, plus groceries, DVD's, CD's, Tv's,  computers, clothes, books, a garden center and auto shop, (you can have your oil changed while you're shopping).

Sounds like my kind of place to shop!!  I hate having to make different stops, and waiting in line just isn't my idea of a good time.  I'll bet you even may have internet kiosks at yours.  

Bernie

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2002, 01:31:28 AM »
The one place that was absolutely dead and deserted on Friday was the supermarket; all of them, as a matter of fact!  What a difference from Tuesday and Wednesday.  You even had your pick of checkout counters.  And parking?  No problem!  

We're also in the process of having our Walmart converted to a SuperWalmart, and it's behind schedule.  Half the parking lot is closed off (filled with construction stuff), the lot entrance is temporarily on a one-lane side road, and the inside is in shambles, everything also temporarily moved around wherever it'll fit.  Car batteries are next to children's apparel; health and beauty products are divided, some still located by the pharmacy, the rest clear across the now-twice-as-big otherside of the store.  It'll be nice when it's all finished, but what a mess to deal with now.  Even when you enter the store (through - what else? - a temporary main entrance), you walk literally through a tunnel before finding the main body.

Gerard

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2002, 01:51:24 AM »
We're also in the process of having our Walmart converted to a SuperWalmart, and it's behind schedule.

Your Walmart sounds like Collinwood in 1995!

Bernie

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2002, 05:44:50 AM »
    We had a fine Wal-Mart in my town in Maine.  Unfortunately, they decided to build a SuperWal-Mart across the street.  They bull-dozed a beautiful forest to build it then left the empty building across the street.  Two ugly parking lots and a boarded up building.  A little less beauty in Maine all for the sake of profit and low paying jobs.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2002, 01:43:30 PM »
Rhonda Wrote:

We actually have two 24 hour Walmarts, one on the north end and one on the south.  

That's great Rhonda, at least you have two near you! Would you believe that we still don't have one here in Yonkers?!!   I'd love to have a store like that here, get all my shopping done in one place!!

Bernie, I like your avatar!!   :-)

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2002, 07:29:08 PM »
We're getting a Walmart added to our shopping mall, although I have no idea when it's going to open, or if it will be a "super."

I did most of my Christmas shopping a couple of weeks ago, all in one very crowded place, but I got some wonderful bargains, so it was worth it.  

I, too, despise crowds and long lines, and find people short-tempered and nasty this time of year.  I usually suffer from holiday blues, as well, so I'm just as glad to see this holiday season come and go.  

It's been better this year--the anti-depressants must be making a difference!    

Love, Robin

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2002, 09:20:30 PM »
I had finished shopping, but went again today, just because this is the one time of year I actually enjoy the crowds...didn't run into many, though.  Lines were not long at all at registers, and I actually got out of WalMart and TJMaxx in less time than usual. Tons of parking at the mall...what I figured would be a day long outing lasted only a few hours.

Sheenaspa is benefitting from my early finish followed by urge to shop some more.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP