Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0984  (Read 641 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0984
« on: September 26, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
Robservations #984

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0984

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
PT has a HiFi instead of. Piano in the drawing room. Even though Maggie has been warned about Hoffman, she blindly follows her advice.  Daniel does like the LP, but not his Dad who calls Maggie stupid. Not exactly the words of good husband material.
Angelique is a legend in her own life. The world according to Hoffman. I watched Night of the iguana last night and getting that vibe plus Mrs. Danvers from Miss Hall. 
Maggie comes downstairs and Quentin is talking to Angeligue as if it were no big deal that she is dead. Then the credits reveal that it is Alexis Stokes played by Lara Parker.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:02:00 AM »
Another kittenish Grayson VO.  Camera recedes from some flowers, so they want you to notice them.  Again Jeb must've written this VO too, because "strange and frightening!" pops up again, about PT events Barnabas is tragically not privy to...  Redo of ghost humming scene with Daniel and Maggie... typical of Angelique to wait till then to reveal herself, or so I thought when making these notes.  She never vocalized for Daniel before. 

This Q-Maggie situation points out the power of a raised voice, something that's unavoidable sometimes, but which can have a devastating impact.  Quentin is a big guy with a big voice, and may not realize he's doing anything more than getting irritated.  It's hard to scale it down.  Maggie experiences his rants very differently, especially in her vulnerable position.  Q shouting sounds a bit like the stroke of doom, so much so that she misses that almost all of his frustration is in defense of her, not against her.  We really can see both sides of it here.  If only Maggie had a knob to turn down the volume.

Maggie ought to have known that whatever Angelique used to do for Daniel, she, Maggie, shouldn't do it.  It looks like a crass attempt to buy love, and take the place of the mother that he's already angry with Maggie for replacing.  That's a good line from Maggie, about turning an apology into a testamonial (Hoffman for Ang).  Maggie snaps into awareness and focus here, for about a minute, and what destroys that (of course)?  Angelique laughing and talking with her husband in the drawing room!  Her moment of taking control, where the situation was now known and could be dealt with,  falls apart into uncontrollable chaos, and the sense of power disappears.  Good surprise cliffhanger, except for [spoiler]"Alexis Stokes"[/spoiler] in the credits.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:21:53 PM »
About those closing credits: They should have issued a big giant spoiler alert. Although--did we know that Angelique's maiden name was Stokes?

I guess Angelique never vocalized for Daniel before because even in the afterlife she never imagined she'd have a Hated Rival. At least Amy is a nice little kid.

Poor Maggie! On the cusp of victory--until she returns to the drawing room. I have to say I thought LP did a good job as Alexis.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
Daniel is one seriously disturbed kid. His behavior with Maggie is way out of line. His interactions with Elizabeth and Amy show that this is a very spoiled and nasty little boy. This is more than grief over his mother's untimely death or even denial. Yet Quentin (and everyone else) just continues to ignore it.
The singing portrait was apparently a one time only appearance. None of the people who visit the room ever hear any singing [spoiler]though Quentin and Alexis will be later treated to a phantom piano player.[/spoiler]. Was this supposed to be ambiguous? Or just an unresolved plot tangent?
It's been quite a welcome to Collinwood for Maggie. She desperately wants to fit in but is still unsure who her enemies are. She makes an unfortunate mistake by taking Hoffman's advice about scoring points with Daniel. It would have made more sense for her to have asked Amy, who genuinely likes her. But, after the situation with the record, Maggie does acquire some much needed touch of Eve Arden and puts Hoffman in her place. That is one of my favorite pieces of dialogue from the show. I wish that they had continued to write her this way.
And, after an extremely stressful day of hearing Angelique worshipped like the saint that we know she wasn't, Maggie has quite a shock for her in the drawing room. Too bad the credits spoil the surprise for the audience. But this had happened once before[spoiler]during the Leviathan sequence when the victim of Barnabas' bad driving is credited as Unknown Man David Selby[/spoiler]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »
I think that Hoffman has carefully and systematically been busy dosing Daniel with "worship Angelique" Kool-Aid and poisoning his mind against any successors to his mother.