Author Topic: "universal" monsters  (Read 4022 times)

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
"universal" monsters
« on: October 31, 2002, 12:34:50 AM »
in the 30`s, universal studio came out with some classic monster movies, a part of my childhood was spent watching these movies, and others that werent so classic  B horror i think they would be called...Who was your favorite monster ?  We had the Frankenstein monster....Dracula.......The Wolfman.....and The Mummy as the big 4....and others i cant recall....(scariest scene i can recall was when Larry Talbot transforms into the wolfman...i dont know why, but that scared the %#&* out of me.)
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
Re: "universal" monsters
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2002, 01:30:55 AM »
I have to go with Lugosi's Dracula.  He scared me the most.  I really liked Dwight Frye as his slave also.

Nancy

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2002, 01:42:16 AM »
Karloff's Frankenstein monster was the scariest.  However, I did like Glenn Strange's "cold" monster. That was chilling for different reasons.

Nancy

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 02:09:27 AM »
I have to go with Lugosi's Dracula.  He scared me the most.  I really liked Dwight Frye as his slave also.

Me too, and I like Dwight Frye Also, good looking man. He died in 1943.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2002, 02:13:17 AM »
Bela Lugosi's Dracula.  He was perfect.  Very nice looking in that tux...very nice.

[fangs]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2002, 02:23:48 AM »
Frankenstein's monster gets my vote. I still to this day have recurring nightmares (at least once a year, if not more) that he is chasing me.

I've had only two other recurring dreams during my lifetime. One is trying to escape an air raid. I always have to squeeze through a hole (of some sort) to get to safety but I can never squeeze back out through the hole (I hate that dream). The other one is fabulous. I dream that I can float. It's always like I am an ice skater without the ice or the skates. Usually I am either dancing or walking and I just take off. It's a euphoric feeling.

Any dream analysts out there? The common thread appears to be the issue of escape. But what do I know?
Dom

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 02:59:45 AM »
    I loved Boris Karlof's Frankenstein.  I am a big fan of any of Karlof's movies.  He even scares me when he is only narrating.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2002, 04:07:41 AM »
That creepy mummy.  All wrapped up with plenty  of places to go.  I always had nightmares of that thing shuffling towards me.  The one thing I could never figure out is how did it always catch Evelyn Ankers?  Even though she ALWAYS wore high-heels and ALWAYS managed to trip at least a half-dozen times, that thing would amble along at a pace that would shame a snail, while she ran like the dickens.  And yet, Kaopectate or whatever managed ending up with her passed out in its arms.  Go figure.

Gerard

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2002, 05:28:22 AM »
Thank you for this topic, tripwire!  I love the Universal monster movies and make sure to watch them every year around Halloween.  Even though the acting may not be the best and the plots have enough inconsistencies to rival DS, the films are still a lot of fun.

I never cared much for the Frankenstein monster, and though Dracula is a lot of fun, I think my favorites from the series are the wolfman and the mummy.  I seem to really favor shapeshifters (in addition to The Wolfman, Werewolf of London and RKO's Cat People are among my favorite classic horror films.) They're so much more sympathetic than the other monsters.  As humans with an unwanted and dreadful fate unfairly forced upon them, they seem more deserving of appreciation.  

I really enjoy the mummy series, even though Kharis is basically the Frankenstein creature (mindless monster on killing rampage) in Egyptian trappings.  The mythology surrounding this mummy and the progression of its story are enough to off-set the unimaginativeness of the character.  On the other hand, Karloff's mummy Im-ho-tep was much more active, cunning, and evil.  The Mummy was one of my favorite movies in the 6th grade and still ranks on my list as one of, if not the best of the monster pictures.  I recently read that The Mummy was a remake of Dracula though with an Egyptian setting, but I don't believe it.  The story was sufficiently original enough and intriguing enoguh to set it apart and (I feel) even above the earlier film.

The one thing I could never figure out is how did it always catch Evelyn Ankers?  Even though she ALWAYS wore high-heels and ALWAYS managed to trip at least a half-dozen times, that thing would amble along at a pace that would shame a snail, while she ran like the dickens.  And yet, Kaopectate or whatever managed ending up with her passed out in its arms.  Go figure.

Very true.  What bugs me is that the while the mummy is six feet away and slowly staggering along, the Mapleton bumpkins, instead of running while they have the chance, always simply stand and shoot repeatedly at the thing to no effect until it eventually wrings their necks.  They always look so shocked when the monster finally gets them too...

Two other monsters not on the list that I really enjoy wtaching are the invisible man and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.  For the time that it was filmed, The Invisible Man has some excellent special effects. The original film with Claude Rains, though departing from the novel, was very suspenseful and the 'monster' believably threatening.  (For different reasons, its sequel is also very good, and perhaps better.)  IMHO, Creature from the Black Lagoon is another of the better B-movies.  One of the things that I appreciate about the original film is that the characters are not helpless victims who sit around waiting to be picked off.  Rather, both monsters and people work to outsmart each other.

ProfStokes  

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2002, 06:41:43 AM »
Two of my favorites were Creature from the Black Lagoon and Giant Gila Monster.  I believe they were in the 1950's though.  I used to come home from school every afternoon and watch a 4:00 movie called "The Big Show".  It featured  a lot of these type movies.  I loved them!  I seem to remember watching The Mummy at the local theater and it was in 3-d..  I know I watched some movie wearing those 3-d glasses.. I think that was the one.. I remember thinking how cool that was :)  I loved watching  the older movies you have all mentioned as well.   And one more  that scared me was The Blob.  I was sitting in the back row of the theater with these vent things behind me.. I just knew that icky Blob stuff was gonna come through those vents!  

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2002, 07:00:37 AM »
Dracula was always my favorite of the Univeral monsters.  I've always had a thing for vampires.  That's what drew me to Dark Shadows in the first place.  I couldn't believe it, a television show with a vampire as the star!  I did get alittle excited though the last time I saw the Mummy and they spoke of Anubis.

I always thought it was interesting that Joe Haskell was probably the only character anywhere who was attacked by the top three universal monsters. a vampire, frankenstein monster and werewolf.

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2002, 06:16:17 AM »
I guess Chaney's Wolfman would be my favorite too, with Karloff as Frankenstein a close second.  I also liked the mummy Kharis, although I must admit part of the reason is for comedic value!  

Bernie

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2002, 06:32:52 AM »
Dracula was always my favorite of the Univeral monsters.  I've always had a thing for vampires.  That's what drew me to Dark Shadows in the first place.  I couldn't believe it, a television show with a vampire as the star!  I did get alittle excited though the last time I saw the Mummy and they spoke of Anubis.

[I always thought it was interesting that Joe Haskell was probably the only character anywhere who was attacked by the top three universal monsters. a vampire, frankenstein monster and werewolf. ]

well, i think they missed their chance with the mummy also, cause soon we find out that
S

P
O
I
L
E
R

Quentin had recently been in Egypt. ok  so, just on a whim, he decides to buy a mummy while he is over there, brings it back in the sarcofugus (sp). and he hangs with quentin in his room..Quentin later pisses Angelique off, and as revenge, she burns those leaves, or casts a spell to raise the mummy, and the mummy then harasses quentin and others...but, when he becomes the wolfman, they duke it out, and barnabas gets involved   lol......a vampire, a mummy and werewolf going at it, heck, thats better than any ppv wrestling nonsense, and about as real..then all we would need is adam to be whisked back to 1897.
P  
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2002, 01:29:56 PM »
I love all those Universal monster movies and
especially enjoy the Abbott & Costello meet
.....whoever movies. Just watched A & C meet
the Wolfman last night.

Offline jennifer