Author Topic: "Born in Martinique in 1774"  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"Born in Martinique in 1774"
« on: July 04, 2002, 04:47:47 AM »
Not sure when this episode aired since I was behind on my viewing (and unfortunately didn't get the VCR set for the days I was at the festival ... that chess scene mentioned elsewhere with Professor Stokes and Julia sounds really good -- I don't remember it from the previous viewing but I must have it on tape from then.)

Anyway, in Episode #546, Nicholas removes Angelique's powers, telling her "You are no longer a member of our coven," and saying that she is now only a woman "born in Martinique in 1774."  I didn't remember this from my previous viewing, but it is crucial biographical information about Angelique.  She was 21 in 1795.

I love these tidbits, but it just isn't reconcilable with what we learn in 1840, i.e. that Angelique was formerly Miranda du Val, who lived in 1692 (I think it was).  The sequence also makes clear that she did not die and was not later reincarnated as Angelique on Martinique!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
Re: "Born in Martinique in 1774"
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 04:57:01 AM »
Add it to the long list of continuity errors I guess!  :D
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 07:00:13 PM »

The sequence also makes clear that she did not die and was not later reincarnated as Angelique on Martinique!

I thought the tidbit of info was interesting too but i'm not certain how you could conclude that she wasn't Miranda reincarnated. . . I know this is something the writers dreamed up nearly 3 years later. . .but just because Nicolas did not mention it. . doesn't mean it couldn't have happened. . .in my universe anyway. . .
Julia99

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2002, 07:04:17 PM »

I thought the tidbit of info was interesting too but i'm not certain how you could conclude that she wasn't Miranda reincarnated. . . I know this is something the writers dreamed up nearly 3 years later. . .but just because Nicolas did not mention it. . doesn't mean it couldn't have happened. . .in my universe anyway. . .

Yes that's what I think too...it might be like

[SPOILER]

the Carlotta Drake/Sarah Castle thing from Night of Dark Shadows

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2002, 09:02:28 PM »
Wow -- I don't remember hearing that either. Love how you learn something new after watching so many times.  However like Victoria and Julia I still believe that Angelique is a reincarnation of Miranda.
Wiley S.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2002, 02:57:23 AM »
Wow --   However like Victoria and Julia I still believe that Angelique is a reincarnation of Miranda.

Same goes for me WileyS.  I have always felt that the Angelique of 1795 was a reincarnation of Miranda Duval.

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2002, 04:13:40 AM »
I always thought the Miranda-Angelique connection was kind of tacked on as an afterthought and that it didn't make a lot of sense in terms of continuity.

Luciaphil
(who also finds the birthdate extremely suspect ;) )
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2002, 04:46:23 AM »
Add it to the long list of continuity errors I guess!  :D

:)  I agree.  I think Angelique was Miranda's reincarnation.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2002, 11:23:07 PM »

There is nothing in the current storyline that precludes Angelique as being the reincarnation of Miranda du Val.  However, when I said:  "The sequence also makes clear that she did not die and was not later reincarnated as Angelique on Martinique!" I was speaking of details that were given in the 1840 storyline and 1692 flashback.

If you listen to that sequence carefully, you will learn that Miranda did not die and was not reincarnated as Angelique.  Rather, she gained immortality as Miranda.  The details aren't clear how she then "transformed" herself into Angelique (the storyline implies that all she did was change her name and move to Martinique).

Unfortunately, the 1840/1692 storyline precludes reincarnation as a possible explanation.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2002, 09:41:52 AM »
I don't find any problems with Miranda coming back or being reincarnated or transformed or whatever as Angelique.  She keeps disappearing, dying, and so on and coming back as Angelqiue, so it seems quite possible that she could have come back and used a different name.

The only thing in the series that makes it seem impossible is back in 1795 when the Countess talks about her and mentions remembering her as an "uninteresting child" - so presumably they recall her as a child and growing up.  I just don't see her being "reborn" as a baby and actually growing up again, although I suppose that's possible.
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2002, 11:34:51 AM »

The only thing in the series that makes it seem impossible is back in 1795 when the Countess talks about her and mentions remembering her as an "uninteresting child" - so presumably they recall her as a child and growing up.  I just don't see her being "reborn" as a baby and actually growing up again, although I suppose that's possible.

That's what I find so strange Josette.  The Countess spoke so clearly of how she had known Angelique from way back when and even had mentioned of knowing her mother and how she use to sell potions on the Island.

Also, I could understand her gaining immortality as Miranda but what gets me is that when she arrived at Collinwood in 1795 she was a mortal woman who practiced witchcraft, only to die by strangulation by Barnabas Collins.  It was only after dying that she seemed to gain immortality thus returning again in the present time as Cassandra.   It all does seem a bit confusing and I wish that the writers had been more specific as what Angelique's origins really were.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2002, 12:17:59 AM »
I could understand her gaining immortality as Miranda but what gets me is that when she arrived at Collinwood in 1795 she was a mortal woman who practiced witchcraft, only to die by strangulation by Barnabas Collins.  It was only after dying that she seemed to gain immortality thus returning again in the present time as Cassandra.

Although that seems to be the case, we don't know for certain that she was a "mere mortal" when she arrived at Collinwood in 1795.  She is "killed" or destroyed a number of times subsequent to these events, too, I believe ...

It all does seem a bit confusing and I wish that the writers had been more specific as what Angelique's origins really were.

Agreed.

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2002, 09:52:20 AM »
I love these tidbits, but it just isn't reconcilable with what we learn in 1840, i.e. that Angelique was formerly Miranda du Val, who lived in 1692 (I think it was).  The sequence also makes clear that she did not die and was not later reincarnated as Angelique on Martinique!

That's just it, though: it's not necessarily supposed to be reconcilable.  What happened in parallel time doesn't have to be consistent with that of regular/normal/reference (take your pick) time.  PT is all about different paths/choices the characters took as opposed to the time-travel story of 1795.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2002, 10:05:57 AM »

That's just it, though: it's not necessarily supposed to be reconcilable.  What happened in parallel time doesn't have to be consistent with that of regular/normal/reference (take your pick) time.  PT is all about different paths/choices the characters took as opposed to the time-travel story of 1795.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

That's fine for PT things and I quite agree.  However, the Miranda part was in 1840 regular time, so it SHOULD be consistent with the other RT stories.  The Miranda part might be consistent, but other things - i.e., the ages of Ben and Daniel Collins, etc. don't quite fit with their 1795 introduction.
Josette

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2002, 10:31:23 AM »

That's fine for PT things and I quite agree.  However, the Miranda part was in 1840 regular time, so it SHOULD be consistent with the other RT stories.  The Miranda part might be consistent, but other things - i.e., the ages of Ben and Daniel Collins, etc. don't quite fit with their 1795 introduction.

LOL! You're right -- I goofed! I had thought the Miranda thing was PT.  I'll shut up now... ::)
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"