Author Topic: Netscape Q  (Read 3155 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: Netscape Q
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 03:25:54 AM »
Have someone who knows what they're doing go (URL) for instructions on how to get rid of it ASAP.

Spyware like this is really getting to be a pain in the butt, and sometimes even following these instructions won't completely eliminate the problem. The easiest way to avoid a lot of this crap is to use Firefox. If you want a good program for cleaning crap like this off your pc, I'd suggest Webroot's Spy Sweeper. (Unfortunately, for folks using Norton's Antivirus and Internet Security, they have been really crappy with detecting, preventing, and cleaning up spyware intrusions.)

Patti, if you're going to switch to a dialup service and decide to go with Earthlink, they have a version of Spy Sweeper included in their software.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 10:43:36 PM »
So, I downloaded Netscape...I clicked it...but I see the 'e' of explorer on bottom (with welcome to the forum message) plus the windows quad-colored flag top right.... ??? Why?
It said netscape when I first clicked online :-
(aren't some of you glad I'm not a doctor or airplane pilot  ;D ).

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 11:49:58 PM »
So, I downloaded Netscape...

WHERE did you dl it from?  Was it Netscape.com?

I clicked it...but I see the 'e' of explorer on bottom (with welcome to the forum message) plus the windows quad-colored flag top right.... ??? Why?
It said netscape when I first clicked online :-

Your browser was reprogrammed, but that's not something that can be done accidentally.

Did you see this question?--
In the horizontal menu at the top of your browser, click Help, then select "About..." in the dropdown menu. What does it say?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 12:13:12 AM »
Your browser was reprogrammed, but that's not something that can be done accidentally.

I asked someone else and was just shown how a hacker can do exactly what you're describing.  So that's a possibility.  It's also possible you dl'd a hacked version.  I don't know if a virus can do this, but they are certainly capable of changing files.

Did you see this question?--

If someone got access to your computer, the answer to the above probably won't make a difference because that can be changed too.   :-

I can't say more than this because I'd be getting in over my head.  Except, please be careful!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 12:43:01 AM »
Help...says For Netscape Users (then it says how easy it is to change from Netscape to Explorer.)

I ?thought I went to netscapedotcom....oh well....Thanks again.

Patti
What a Woman!