Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0584  (Read 1116 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0584
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0584
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »
I can't understand why Barnabas doesn't want to search for where Willie has hidden Maggie. It's almost as though he's given up on the experiment and his only choice is [spoiler]to kill Adam[/spoiler]

Barnabas giving up like that just seems so uncharacteristic.

Maybe they should have gotten Jeff to provide the life force.  [ghost_grin]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:19:35 AM »
I just love the way stuff from over a year ago is dredged up.  Grayson Hall hasn't worn that wig for nearly six months.  I wonder if it smelled of mothballs.  I noticed that the dates on Josette's gravestone were changed.  Last time we saw the scene of Dr. Hoffman taking patient Maggie on a field trip to the cemetery, the dates on the gravestone were 1800-1822, and now they're 1794-1795.

Every time I watch this episode I want to go back to the episode in which this scene was previously shown - around about #285, I figure - to see if it's the same.  On this watching, however, I don't feel that it's necessary for the scene to be the same.  That's a good thing, because I know there are other differences besides the gravestone.  What we're seeing today is the scene as Maggie remembers it.  If I remember correctly, she became hysterical in the original.  Today she just sank down onto Naomi's coffin.  So she doesn't remember her own action of screaming; she just remembers her feeling of fear.

The sound and music were messed up several times today.  In particular, we got the sound effect of the mausoleum door creaking before we saw the door opening.  But there again, we're seeing Maggie's memory, so who knows what was going on in her mind?

I love all the scenes between Willie and Maggie in the secret room of the mausoleum during this subplot.  There's a grittiness about Kathryn Leigh Scott in them that you don't usually see in her on Dark Shadows.  My attention kept being caught by her L's today. I guess - though I haven't nailed it down yet - that when they're blended with a p or a b - as in "please" - she says the L at the front of her mouth - i.e. a soft L - and at other times she says it at the back - i.e. a hard L.  Maybe what caught my attention was the contrast between her soft L's and the grittiness she was showing.

We got a very interesting conversation between Barnabas and Julia today, when Julia proposed herself for the life force.  It wasn't like when Julia offered herself as a victim to Barnabas.  She had no emotional stake in this; she was offering to do what was necessary, and she wasn't hurt when her offer was refused.  And Barnabas was unemotional about vetoing the idea not because he cared about her, but because she was needed to fill another function.  All very cut and dried. Interesting.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:38:36 AM »
When I watched, I thought that Barnabas and/or Julia should have figured out that Willie would have brought Maggie to the Secret Room. Barnabas didn't even bother to check. [ghost_undecided]

Yes, indeed, I also loved those scenes between Willie and Maggie. They were riveting! Kudos to KLS and JK for their acting prowess! [clap2] Poor Willie, being so frustrated about Maggie, not wanting her to remember what happened in 1967, and feeling that he made a horrible mistake by bringing her there.  [ghost_sad] I guess Julia's hypnosis didn't last forever! All it took was Maggie going back to the secret room for her to start to remember again. [ghost_rolleyes]

I thought it was nice that Barnabas seemed concerned for Julia's well-being. [ghost_smiley] But he was mostly concerned, of course, about the experiment. She couldn't very well be in the experiment and conduct the experiment at the same time!  [ghost_nowink] Yes, indeed, Lydia, it was rather cut-and-dried, and matter-of-fact. [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 09:36:22 PM »
I too wonder why it never occured to Barnabas and Julia that Willie would hide Maggie in the secret room.  [ghost_huh] Maybe they thought it was too obvious a place for him to have hidden her.

And I also wonder why it never occured to Willie that Maggie just might start to remember what had happened to her in 1967 by taking her to the secret room. [ghost_closedeyes] Maybe he thought Julia's hypnosis on her WOULD last forever. [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
I do agree that JK and KLS did a great job. I also liked the cancle lighting.

Barnabas has to watch out for all the places that he keeps his spare coffins. :)

I think Barnabas does care, but then I am in the minority.
[spoiler]When Barnabas comes to after being knocked out by Adam. The first name he say is Julia.[/spoiler]

They should have thought about the secret room.

Barnabas saying that Adam doesn't use common sense, does that remind you of someone else that wasn't logical about things like wanting to kill everyone when he didn't get what he wanted. Barnabas didn't use common sense.

Maybe Adam got all of Barnabas vampire feelings or wanting to control everything. But we also knew that Adam was being controlled by Nicholas.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 10:56:49 PM »
This is when I love Maggie Evans. She seems in control of situation and is overpowering Willie. (She usually does, but who can't??).  I think KLS kicks butt when we get to see this side of Maggie. LOVE LOVE, the fact that she is remembering what happen...that kind of stuff is rewarding for viewers.

The subplots are so much better than this Overall Adam arc.  I can't wait till it's over.

[128]
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books