Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0097  (Read 1136 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0097
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0097
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:20:20 AM »
I enjoyed this episode for a number of reasons and I am going to tell you what they are.
Vicki is just all over Carolyn’s attitude for one. And it was grand to see Carolyn get her comeuppance.

Vicki’s first zinger with Carolyn is that she tells her she spent time with a very attractive Frank Garner and not Burke Devlin. Zing! Then Vicki tells her she knows Carolyn called Burke’s room and invited him down to see her, not Vicki. Zing! Later Carolyn tells Vicki that everything she does reflects on the good name of Collins. Vicki comes back with. “And does nothing you do reflect on anyone?” Zing!

And Roger with all of his lies is getting himself in deeper and deeper.

Doesn’t David Ford have a wonderful voice? The scene is quite good. I rather enjoyed seeing Sammy being the domestic and doing his own sewing. I do wonder, however, how long it would have taken him to thread that needle.

I love Sam’s front yard as seen through the front door. One lonely scrub of a tree and back stage. Looks pretty bleak. But I guess it can be explained away as one hellova foggy morning.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
The last time we saw Sam, I think he had just received the news that Bill Malloy’s ghost was up and around.  I'm glad Sam didn't let it bother him, because, like Janet, I enjoyed his scene today.  And his singing voice didn't sound like his speaking voice.  Now I have to go back and watch 1776 sometime.  David Ford has one line of song in that movie, in the Cool Considerate Men number.  Every time I watch it I'm sure his singing must be dubbed because it doesn't sound like him, but maybe I've been wrong.

I loved the beginning of the show, with Vicky saying “Good morning” very brightly and Elizabeth, Roger, and Carolyn only just barely deigning to notice her existence.  What a lot of fun the actors must have had with that!  But then Elizabeth softened quite fast – faster than I would have - when Vicky put forward her excuses.

Vicky told Carolyn she likes Roger, and she thinks he's nice.  Good heavens!  Has she no memory at all?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »
Later Carolyn tells Vicki that everything she does reflects on the good name of Collins. Vicki comes back with. “And does nothing you do reflect on anyone?” Zing!

I absolutely love Vicki's comeback. Of course Carolyn doesn't like it, but she so deserves it.  [hall2_wink]

All in all, it's really great to see the way Vicki is written in this ep. But it's also a sad reminder of what's missing when it comes to the way she's written later in the show.  [hall2_sad]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 09:52:10 PM »
Vickie faces a chilly reception from the Stoddard's.  Roger makes Carolyn think that he and Vickie are more than friends and that's just icky.  Vickie is cool to Carolyn and goes  for an exterior footage walk all the way to Evans cottage. Sam gives her the picture of Betty with not much thought even though he's had it on hand for over twenty years.  Elizabeth tells Roger not to know about Betty if Vickie brings it up.  When Vickie returns with her gift, both see no resemblance to Vickie, but then Carolyn pops in and says it's Vickie.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »
All in all, it's really great to see the way Vicki is written in this ep. But it's also a sad reminder of what's missing when it comes to the way she's written later in the show.
MB, are you and I watching the same series?  I've tried to restrain myself in my criticisms of Vicky's brainpower in these early episodes lest I sound like a broken record.  I feared I had been unsuccessful, but now I fear I have been too successful.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:28:23 PM »
You're winning me over a bit, Lydia.   My problem is that, to me, she's always someone with an admirable, intelligent, sober, thoughtful sort of bearing, who just happens not to making with the smart dialogue and good decisions this episode.   Unfortunately, she's like that in every single episode of DS that she's in!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Oh, bless you, Magnus!