Author Topic: Which DS Episode, Do You Think, Inspired Joanne Woodward To...  (Read 997 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Which DS Episode, Do You Think, Inspired Joanne Woodward To...
« on: September 13, 2012, 12:30:46 AM »
telegram the show, and proclaim: "Dark Shadows, I Love You!!!"? [ghost_grin]

Yes, gang, there are so many possible DS episodes, which may have prompted the great Academy Award-winning actress to express her admiration and fondness for everyone's favorite Gothic soap opera.

Perhaps it was the memorable early DS episode in which Barnabas, in planning to knock-off Dr. Julia Hoffman, has an extremely pesky fly land repeatedly on his face as he discusses Julia's impending fate with Willie Loomis in the Old House drawing room? [ghost_huh]

Then again, maybe it was one of those truly comedic (intentionally or otherwise) DS episodes, featuring the silver-tongued (and silver-haired) Dr. Eric Lang and his laidback and unfailingly self-effacing lab assistant, Mr. Jeff Clark?  (I'd vote for one these timeless episodes as one that might have inspired Ms. Woodward to telegram Dan Curtis and company with her best wishes.) [ghost_wink] [ghost_grin]

Maybe Ms. Woodward particularly admired actor Dennis Patrick's particularly long and florid death scene after his character Paul Stoddard, had been "slimed" by Jeb Hawkes, in Jeb's "superior" Leviathan form, in Prof. Stokes' apartment?  [ghost_wacko]

Can you think of any other DS episodes/moments which may have inspired Ms. Woodward to proclaim her great affection for Dark Shadows?

Bob

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Re: Which DS Episode, Do You Think, Inspired Joanne Woodward To...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:06:19 AM »
"Julia! Remember . . SOMEONE!!"

Petofi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:33:13 AM »
"Julia! Remember . . SOMEONE!!"

Yes, an absolutely inspired Dark Shadows moment featuring Barnabas in one of his most tongue-tied scenes on the show!!! [ghost_cheesy] [ghost_grin]  Heck, even Dr. Lang seemed bewildered by Mr. B.'s "somewhat" curious declaration to Julia!  [ghost_wacko]

And, how about those eleven people (including the intrusive Prof. Stokes) who experienced the terrifying "Dream Curse"?  (I especially enjoyed Dr. Hoffman's angst-ridden sojourn through that spooky room.) [ghost_grin]

Incidentally, did you ever notice that some of the beckoners (including, of course, the always glib Dr. Lang) manage to not quite get the stirring words of the dream curse just right?

Through sight and sound and faceless terror,
Through endless corridors by trial and error.
Ahead a blazing light does burn,
And one door leads to the point of return.

Some of the dream beckoners say something like: Through endless corridors of trial and error, or A blazing light does burn ahead, or some such convolution of the curse's words.

It would have been great fun to have seen such other DS characters as Harry Johnson, Buzz Hackett, the Eagle Hill Cemetery caretaker, Bob Rooney and, Susie, the silent Collinsport Inn waitress experience the dream curse, imo. [ghost_wink] [ghost_grin]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:13:53 AM »
Had he been alive, Matthew Morgan as played by Thayer David (or even George Mitchell for that matter) would have been my choice as fantasy pick for Dream Curse participant. (Not that death ever stopped anyone from doing anything on the show.)

Other hilarians would be Mitch Ryan as Burke Devlin and Sam Evans As played by Mark Allen. Too funny!

Great comedic choices, B_t_B!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 06:16:15 AM »
I wonder if it was a David Selby episode that prompted it. I seem to remember reading something in one of the teen magazines that Joanne recommended David to the Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford back in 1970. He did do a run in The Devil's Disciple there that summer.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 03:51:20 AM »
Had he been alive, Matthew Morgan as played by Thayer David (or even George Mitchell for that matter) would have been my choice as fantasy pick for Dream Curse participant. (Not that death ever stopped anyone from doing anything on the show.)

Other hilarians would be Mitch Ryan as Burke Devlin and Sam Evans As played by Mark Allen. Too funny!

Dom,

Oh, it would have been the ultimate display of Alpha-Males unleashed if Matthew Morgan, Burke Devlin and Sam Hall (as portrayed by the truly hulking Mark Allen) had experienced the Dream Curse! [ghost_shocked] [ghost_grin]

In opening that one door and facing that grinning and malicious skull, ol' Matthew would have literally tried to choke the life out of it; Burke would have whacked it with a right cross to where its nose was supposed to be; and the burly, Dick Butkus-like Sam Evans would have tried to grab and tackle that skull like it was an opposing team's running back!  [ghost_cheesy]

Bob

PS Mark Allen also portrayed a tough, no-nonsense (what else?) policeman on a couple of episodes of the great "Leave It To Beaver" tv comedy series back during the early 1960s.