Author Topic: the todd antique shop...where formerly significant props go to die.  (Read 1303 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i've been viewing the early leviathan storyline and last night i watched some episodes where various characters(maggie, david, amy)come into the todd antique shop to visit carolyn while she "works" and browse around...

to my astonishment many of the "antiques" they pick up were props that had held significant meaning in previous storylines. notably sarah collins long forgotten doll(last seen with dr.woodard), barnabas' toy soldiers from 1795 and even pansy faye's pink feather boa from 1897...which maggie takes the opportunitie to swan about it.

speaking of maggie on a side fashion note before the storyline shifted to 1897 maggie looked very "1960's" but when it returns to the "present"(nine months later)suddenly she looks very "1970's". her hair's different. she wears pants(almost verboten for a DS ingenue). even her attitude's slightly changed.

totally diff.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: the todd antique shop...where formerly significant props go to die.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »
speaking of maggie ... when it returns to the "present"(nine months later)suddenly ... even her attitude's slightly changed.

totally diff.

Just goes to show what an improving effect not having Barnabas around for nine months can have on a girl.  [b003]  Either that, or she and Quentin really "took advantage" of Angelique's spell while they could.  [lghy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 04:15:54 PM »
Oops - just realized I jumped the gun with that bit about Quentin - that doesn't come until near the end of Leviathans.  :-[  (A sign I should never post before my morning caffeine fix.  ;))

So, it's definitely the absence of Barn that did it.  [wink2]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
I always thought it was funny when important props popped up so mundanely in other places throughout the course of DS. One of the more famous ones is that awful afghan that practically makes its rounds through every room in Collinwood and the Old House, and every single time period known to the history of the Collinses. My other personal favorite is the box that held Petofi's hand showing up as a piece of decorative art on someone's dresser or something.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »
The Box for Count Petofi's Hand sits on a bureau in the hallway on the upper storey of the main fabric of Collinwood in 1966, the hallway along which the bedrooms of Vicki, David, and Carolyn are situated.  I like to think that the box was perhaps brought by Beth Chavez from Petofi's lair and left in her bedroom.  Perhaps one of the maids found it there and showed it to Miss Judith, thinking it might have been a valuable family heirloom.  Judith took a liking to the box and kept some of her jewellry in it.  After her death, Elizabeth decided to put it on the bureau in the hallway as a memento of a remarkable woman.

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:38:56 PM »
Nice story, Gothick! If I recall, parallel Elizabeth kept her famous hatpin collection in it.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:27:21 PM »
Doesn't the drawing of Betty Hanscomb turn up much later in the series?

Also, I recall an episode in which Chris Jennings was in his cottage, reading the Collinsport Star -- the issue announcing the disappearance of Maggie Evans.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
Doesn't the drawing of Betty Hanscomb turn up much later in the series?

Yes, it shows up back in the cottage even though Sam gave it to Vicki. But then much of the artwork on the show seems to have minds of their own because portraits can be hanging prominently in the foyer of Collinwood or in one of its bedrooms in one ep and then mysteriously hanging in a secret passageway or a secret room in a different ep in the same storyline.  [ghost_grin]  And another example just came up in the WP when in 1841PT Barnabas' portrait mysterious returned to hanging in Collinwood's foyer even though Julia Collins gave it to Bramwell as a wedding gift.  [ghost_huh]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
Is this around the time that KLS' wardrobe came from Junior Sophisicates instead of Ohrbach's?
Fade Away and Radiate