Author Topic: Joan Crawford as...  (Read 839 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Joan Crawford as...
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:49:44 PM »
Inspired by:
Re: Episode #0324

We've often joked about what it might have been like had Joan Crawford taken over as Liz when Joan Bennett was off on one of her summer stock tours. But what other actors might Crawford have filled in for? Well, here's our chance to speculate.  ;)

My suggestion: In a precursor to Crawford's stunt casting in her daughter's role on Secret Strorm, that wacky DC decides that, instead of using Diana Walker, it would be a perfect idea to have Crawford play Carolyn in Ep #578.

Walker looked bad enough in that wig - can you imagine Crawford?!  [wow]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Crawford as...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:01:25 PM »
How about Crawford ( as in Victor Victoria) come as DR Lang.  She could have done the recording.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:05:29 PM »
Or better yet- Charo as Carolyn!  How about her shaking her culo at The Blue Whale, followed by a strong lecture at home from "Tio Roger" as she throws a tantrum, making her cuchi-cuchi the ABC censor's worst nightmare!!!  Of course Barnabas would have to reach for the Maalox after biting her, since she's a hot tamale!

Of course there was the little-known fact that D.C. originally tried to get Elvis to play Quentin, but Col. Parker (no relation to Lara!) wanted too much money and demanded that Bob Cobert write a song a week for E.P.!

And someone once told me that right after being fired from the "Helen Lawson" role in Valley of the Dolls, Judy Garland was briefly considered for the part of Julia Hoffman, but while dining at El Morocco night, she left the audition script behind as she went to the ladies room, and it was picked up by the occupants in the adjoining booth- Sam and Grayson Hall!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 11:54:32 PM »
My goodness!  Can you just picture Joan Crawford and Judy Garland working together on Dark Shadows?  Those vodka bottles would've been flying!  Just to add some more spice, they could've asked Bette Davis to do a stint as Mrs. Johnson.  Mmmmeeeeeooooowwwww!!!!!!  Ssssss-ssssss!  "Louis!  Jonathan!  Nancy!  Kathryn!  Quick!  Get into the safe room!  They're at it again!  Wait for the all-clear!"

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 07:57:31 PM »
I thought this thread might have the story you're all referring to.   Is it posted anywhere?   In short form, because of my eye thing?    I know who J Crawford is, but apart from that...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 08:05:59 PM »
If you're referring to the story of Crawford's appearance on Secret Storm, go to this page:

The Secret Storm

on the Wikipedia Web site and scroll down to "The Crawfords" section.

Interestingly enough, the articles on some of the backsides of my DS articles from the period are about Crawford's tenue on SS. Though the focus is simply about how a great Hollywood actress makes an appearance on the show. Though even after the fact the media wasn't about to go into what an embarrassment it actually was. How times have changed - and not always for the better...