Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 138269 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1965 on: May 20, 2024, 02:50:40 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1080 (1970) - Liz - 'Carolyn, I MUST insist that you stay away from Sebastian.'

From  "#1080/1081: Robservations 08/26/03: Return of Roxanne!"
I sincerely wanted my horoscope done--your reasons for wanting to see Sebastian are quite different, adds Liz haughtily, and have nothing to do with your horoscope. Carolyn looks away and claims, it isn't true.  His name is Sebastian Shaw and always has been, insists Liz.
How do you know that? asks Carolyn. I see no reason to believe anything else, says Liz--In the first place, you heard him tell you he wasn't Jeb, in the second place, if he was Jeb, why wouldn't he admit it to you? He may not know it himself, suggests Carolyn. What on earth does that mean? asks Liz, annoyed. Shortly after Jeb died, says Carolyn, I had a dream--in it, I saw Jeb and he told me he would come back to me one day--he said I might not be able to understand, and when it did, I would know it. That was just a dream, insists Liz. And Sebastian's appearance in Collinsport is just a wild coincidence, says Carolyn, irritated, I just don't believe it. You have no choice but to believe it, says Liz, because that's all it is, a wild coincidence, and obviously, an unfortunate one--I must insist you stay away from Sebastian. Are you forbidding me to see him? demands Carolyn. No, I'm thinking what's best for you, says Liz, let's leave it at that. Carolyn's lip curls with determination; she plucks the business card from the desk blotter, goes to the phone, and dials. She asks to speak to Sebastian Shaw. Please.

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And as with Eps #75, #256, #762 & #912 earlier this month, Ep #1080 is another example where Midnite serendipitously happened upon an ep that hadn't been quoted from before.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: May 21, 2024, 02:34:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1132 (1840) - Julia - 'You MUST lie convincingly. We can't take any chances.'

From  "#1131/1132: Robservations 10/20/03: Julia Under Zachary's Control"
Crypt - Reading from a list, Leticia tells Julia she's gotten the bandages and the wood alcohol--but the apothecary in the village just laughed when I asked him for these drugs!  Julia, reading a book, tells Leticia she has to get them.  Where? asks the other woman.  Bangor, I suppose, says Julia.  Leticia says everyone will want to know why she's going.  Lie convincingly, says Julia, we can't take any chances.  I know that, says Leticia.

The Robservations references the quote well - though skipping the "must" part is shameful!  [ghost_wink]

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Daphne(reading what she has written) - 'At last I am in his house. I MUST be very careful he does not know how near death is') was back on January 30th.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: May 22, 2024, 12:34:56 AM »
Well, she is Angelique. But an Angelique but not the Angelique. But mere logic never got in his way.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: May 22, 2024, 02:21:00 AM »
 [pointing-up] And logic isn't the only thing that never got in his way. But then that's what happens when it isn't the head on you're shoulders that you think with.  [easter_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: May 22, 2024, 01:58:12 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1214 (1841PT) - Nancy Barrett Voiceover - 'An unbearable time of waiting for the family at Collinwood. The lottery has taken place and Gabriel MUST spend the night in a locked room that has brought death or madness to those of the family who have entered it. If he survives this evening and retains his sanity, the curse which has afflicted the Collins family for many generations will be lifted. Now, Julia and Morgan, who locked Gabriel in the room, are waiting by the doors for sounds from within, sounds of life or death.'

And this time the slideshow goes where it's only gone twice before: using an opening voiceover. But unlike the previous times, the reason isn't because the voiceover is the only place in the ep where "must" is used - it's because Midnite felt the voiceover is much more interesting than any of the other uses of "must" in the ep. And since the voiceover isn't dialogue from a scene, there's no Robservations excerpt. And the graphic -

- was chosen from the exact moment in the voiceover when Nancy says "must"...

And as with Eps #75, #256, #762, #912 & #1080 earlier this month, Ep #1214 is another example where Midnite serendipitously happened upon an ep that hadn't been quoted from before.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: May 23, 2024, 12:28:10 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #77 (1966) - Liz - 'Darling, you said you trusted me, then you MUST believe what I say. You're either for me or against me.'

From  "#0077/0078: Robservations 07/16/01: A Family Divided"
David comes downstairs at Collinwood and joins his aunt in the drawing room. You wanted to see me? he asks. Yes, sit down, she says. She sits beside him and says she wants to talk about Burke. Oh, I haven't given him much thought for a long time, lies David. I know we've discussed this before, she says, but the situation has changed a lot since then--Burke has declared open war on our family. Not on me, he hasn't! declares David, standing. You're a Collins, she reminds him. But Burke's my friend, protests David. He might want you to think he is, says Liz, but his actions prove differently. He even gave me a present, says David. That was in the nature of a bribe, says Liz. No it wasn't! says David, Burke wouldn't have to bribe me to do anything. Liz asks why he thinks so much of Burke. I like him, he's my friend, says David. Do you think a friend would come here and tell me he intends to take away the cannery, the fishing fleet and all of Collinwood? I can't believe it, says David. Do you trust me? asks Liz. David thinks it over. Yes, he admits, sadly. Then you must believe me when I say that Burke wants to gain possession of everything we own--he wants to get it any way he can. But he wouldn't! says David. She turns him around to face her. Darling, you said you trusted me, says Liz, then you must believe what I say--you're either for me or against me. He looks at her, helpless.

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And Liz does indeed say "must" the time previous to delivering the quote. But that's possibly a quote for a future installment.

And as with Eps #75, #256, #762, #912, #1080 & #1214 earlier this month, Ep #77 is another example where Midnite serendipitously happened upon an ep that hadn't been quoted from before.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: May 24, 2024, 03:50:20 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #763 (1897[-1967]) - Evan - 'Because it MUST be done, and you have been chosen.'

From  "Robservations 1/10/03 - #762-763 -  A Heart-Wrenching Truth"
there will be a signal which will give you a sense of power, of release, and you will know the time for action is at hand.  Evan holds up a card--the queen of spades--and tells Tim, when you see it, the name of the person you are to kill will be in your mind, and nothing will stop you.  He makes sure Tim looks closely at the card--it has meaning for you and you alone--it's the face of a woman who needs to be punished, and deserve everything that will come to it--you have been chosen to do it, and it will be done, says Evan firmly.

The Robservations paraphrases and rearranges the quote and all without suing "must" - SHAMEFUL!!

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Tim - 'I MUST do whatever you TELL me') was back on June 16th of 2020, and the second (Magda - 'You MUST go and get a pentagram. You MUST put it around the little boy. He MUST wear it always-- always-- all the days of his life') was back on November 7th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: May 25, 2024, 03:18:44 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #404 (1796) - Barnabas - 'I have no desire to threaten you but I ask desperately for your help. And you MUST give it to me. I MUST speak to Josette. I MUST see her and you MUST make that possible.'

From  "#0403/0404: Robservations 03/19/02: Barnabas Confronts His Witch-Wife"
Barnabas utilizes a little blackmail--he saw her with Nathan, and he brought her home VERY LATE! She's flustered, but she insists Nathan is genuinely fond of her--and besides, both of them are single. Barnabas tries to warn Millicent that the charming Nathan is too much for an innocent like her to handle, but she refuses to listen, and diverts the discussion by saying she COULD arrange for Josette and herself to be taking a walk when Naomi and Natalie are in town, and he COULD accidentally run into them--the garden gate after sundown! Don't fail him, says Barnabas soberly; this is a matter of life and death.

This ep is another during the period when they weren't all that detailed so this Robservations doesn't reference the quote (even though it does several other uses of "must" - but more on that to come). So, how the quote comes about is that after Millicent refuses to listen to any of Barnabas' warnings about Nathan, Barnabas concedes that what transpires between her and Nathan is her own business but he is asking her for help and she must give it to him. That prompts Millicent to ask if Barnabas is threatening her, and that is when Barnabas delivers the quote...

Plus:

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1092 (1970) - Julia - 'On October 14, 1839, the original Quentin wrote: "Tonight I do what I dread-- I MUST GO and see G at the cottage." G MUST mean Gerard, and the cottage MUST mean Rose Cottage-- Gerard MUST have lived there.'

Again the Robservations references the quote perfectly - and it's the very first quadruple "MUST" quote. Perhaps even the only such quote we'll see...

Quite obviously it is not the only one because we have a second quadruple "MUST" quote today.

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'If she knew the truth, Angelique would kill her. Somehow I MUST make her listen to me') was back on September 4th of 2021.

And this may be only the second "MUST" quote used from this ep, but Midnite informed me that she counted 31 uses of "must" in the ep!! There are 6 uses of "must" in just the 2 minute long teaser alone!!  [easter_shocked]  Whether or not Ron Sproat, who wrote the ep, wrote all of them into the script or the actors threw in some themselves is anyone's guess without a copy of the script to check. But it doesn't really matter if they were all written on the page or in combination of some added by the actors because all that matters is that they're all delivered over the course of the ep. And it's highly unlikely there are other eps with as many instances of "must" in them, so we're awarding Ep #404 the title:

THE MUST [milestone] OF ALL TIME EPISODE

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: May 26, 2024, 03:04:30 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #517 (1968) - Cassandra - 'Vicki MUST hear the dream for it is she who will take the final step and carry the dream to Barnabas Collins.'

From  "Robservations 6/12/02 - #517/518 - Stokes, Dream Police"
At Collinwood, Cassandra goes to the open window with a candle and speaks to Sam Evans, casting yet another spell--"You must live until Vicki hears the dream--Vicki must hear the dream because she will take the final step and carry the dream to Barnabas."

The Robservations references the quote well, though it changes/leaves out some words here and there, so it is not a direct quote and should not be in quotes...

And yes, Cassandra does indeed use "must" prior to the quote, though what she says is also not quoted correctly - not to mention, as you'll see below, she uses "must" in places that aren't even referenced in the excerpt.

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Cassandra - 'Hear my voice, Sam Evans. Listen carefully to what I say. You MUST NOT die yet. You MUST live. You MUST live until Victoria Winters is at your side and you have told her the dream') was back on July 5th of 2020.

And if the quotes referred to in this post hadn't been broken up into two different quotes, it would have been another example of a quadruple "MUST" quote. But that's not the way we went with it because back in 2020 I ended things before my quote got to the fourth "must," which is how Midnite was able to use that last part today......

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: May 27, 2024, 02:54:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #764 (1897) - Ezra - 'Tonight. And she MUST be in an awful hurry for it too.'

From  "Robservations 1/13/03 - #764-765 - Are Silver Bullets a Solution?"
The phone rings--Ezra Braithwaite.  Judith leaves to use the study phone to call the police.
Barnabas takes the phone and the very young Braithwaite informs him that Beth Chavez ordered a pentagram charm, and changed it to Quentin--she ordered it tonight and is in a big hurry for it.  Before hanging up, Barnabas tells the young man,  (a sweet gesture, too) you will be a great addition to your father's firm.

The Robservations paraphrases the quote but gets the point across...

And I do find it fascinating that the Collinses have at least two separate telephone lines at Collinwood at a time when most families were lucky to even have one. Evidence of just how prominent and rich the Collinses were, especially considering they live in such a small fishing village as Collinsport.

And given how Barnabas often speaks out loud what he's thinking with little regard to how it comes across to others, I'm fairly surprised her didn't say what I posted on the "Caption This! - 1897" board today:

[90f4]

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Beth - 'You MUST help him. If this keeps on-- and it will-- he's going to be caught') was back on July 26th of 2020, and the second (Evan - 'When the moment comes-- the real moment-- everything MUST go smoothly and without error. You understand?') was back on May 7th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: May 28, 2024, 02:52:20 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1134_1135 (1840[-1967]) - Julia - 'There is going to be an electrical storm tonight-- later. We MUST use the lightning to transmit the life force to him.'

From  "#1133/1134_1135: Robservations 10/21/03: Valerie Threatens Roxanne"
Julia and Leticia look at the head in the box.  I only saw the mask in a dream, says Leticia--it took shape right there in the case.  In your dream, you were told I must have the mask for the operation? asks Julia.  Yes, replies Leticia, but how are we ever going to find it?--I don't know where to begin to look for it.  This must be the secret place where they buried the body, says Julia, and the mask was buried with it--the mask has enormous powers.  That doesn't tell us where it is now, says Leticia.  I know, says Julia--Desmond came here and took it away.  Excited, Leticia asks, how do you knows that?  Because Desmond told Barnabas, says Julia.  Then the mask is at Rose Cottage, says Leticia.  Yes, and you must go there and bring it back to me, insists Julia--tonight.  Tonight, why? asks Leticia.  There's going to be an electrical storm tonight, later, says Julia, we must use the lightning to transmit the life force to him.  I don't understand, says Leticia.  Go to Rose Cottage and bring back that mask, orders Julia.  Leticia leaves.  Julia tends to the headless body.

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Angerie - 'Valerie, Barnabas. You MUST remember to call me Valerie. I don't want an embarrassing scene from the rest of the family') was back on November 21st of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: May 29, 2024, 04:10:50 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #518 (1968) - Prof. Stokes - 'Miss Winters, I MUST ask you to leave this room at once.'

From  "Robservations 6/12/02 - #517/518 - Stokes, Dream Police"
Sam begins to describe his dream to Vicki, but Stokes barges in and orders Vicki to leave the room at once. (He must be the Dream Police.) Sam protests, but Stokes insists. He physically escorts Vicki out of the room, over Maggie's protests, and tells her to wait outside.

The Robservations references the circumstances of the quote quite well...

And this is the fourth quote from this ep. The first (Sam - 'Listen to what I have to TELL you. I MUST TELL you the dream before I die. I MUST') was back on June 30th of 2020, the second (Prof. Stokes - 'Please, I realize how difficult this is for your father, but I MUST impress on both of you how dangerous it would be if the dream went one step further') was back on March 27th of 2021, and the third (Prof. Stokes - 'You don't say much but you seem to understand very well what's said to you. That's most unusual. We MUST find out why') was back on August 26th. So that all means that Ep #518 has joined the club with Eps #2, #3, #42, #44, #50, #52, #54, #66, #106, #119, #133, #195, #208, #211, #212, #296, #300, #308, #315, #340, #365, #367, #377, #384, #426, #449, #450, #462, #466, #479, #481, #503, #506, #543, #544, #550, #608, #609, #629, #639, #643, #644, #646, #647, #655, #678, #709, #717, #727, #734, #742, #743, #746, #750, #883, #884, #886, #889, #915, #975, #976, #977, #993, #1006, #1011, #1057, #1064, #1111, #1125, #1126, #1127, #1128, #1197, #1199, #1206, #1218 and #1232. However, not only recall that Eps #42, #44, #52, #66, #133, #208, #211, #300, #367, #377, #384, #449, #466, #550, #609, #629, #639, #646, #678, #709, #727, #734, #742, #746, #977, #993, #1057, #1111, & #1197 have five quotes, but Eps #66, #377, #384, #449, #646, #727 & #993 have six quotes.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: May 30, 2024, 07:42:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #765 (1897) - Magda - 'I-I MUST know-- did you get the pentagram to the child?'

From  "Robservations 1/13/03 - #764-765 - Are Silver Bullets a Solution?"
Magda joins Beth in the foyer and says, I came in "her own way" since Judith wouldn't let me in--did youget the pentagram to the baby boy?  Yes, says Beth, and one for myself, which she shows Magda is around her neck--the boy is wearing it now.  And does Barnabas know everything? asks the gypsy.  Yes, says Beth--I had to tell him.  You're a fool, says Magda.  He wants to help Quentin, says Beth.  He can't, argues Magda, I'm the only one who can, and will tonight--I found the only way to end the curse.

The Robservations references the circumstances of the quote well...

And as with Eps #75, #77, #256, #762, #912, #1080 & #1214 earlier this month, Ep #765 is another example where Midnite serendipitously happened upon an ep that hadn't been quoted from before.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: May 31, 2024, 05:34:08 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #519 (1968) - Roger - 'Then you MUST see a doctor. Elizabeth, you are not behaving naturally. When something is wrong, a reason MUST be found.'

From  "Robservations 6/13/02 - #519/520 - Trask Makes it Right"
Roger is perturbed, frightened, but Liz says death is natural. She's obsessed by it, insists Roger, who asks if she's ill--does he have to asks Julia or Dr. Tobias? She hasn't been to a doctor--she's become aware of how much time has passed, the years she has spent not really living. Roger insists she's feeling sorry for herself--what is making her speak this way? She calls him shallow. He says he's taking Sam's death more strongly than Liz is. She heard about Sam's fight with the monster, and she began worrying the night the monster took Carolyn away--she had a foreboding. What's the reason? asks Roger, are you hiding something? No, replies Liz. Roger wants her to see a doctor, but she refuses. There must be a reason, says Roger.

The Robservations doesn't reference the quote, but it does reference the quote's circumstances...

And as with Eps #75, #77, #256, #762, #765, #912, #1080 & #1214 earlier this month, Ep #519 is another example where Midnite serendipitously happened upon an ep that hadn't been quoted from before. Though it happened almost half as many times as it happened in March because in March she came across 16 eps that hadn't been quoted from before, but for May it was only 9.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: Yesterday at 02:28:14 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
DS 1991 Ep #5 (-1966: Ep #5) - Julia - 'Then you MUST tell me something and it MUST be the truth. Barnabas' life depends upon it.'

From SHADOWS IN THE '90s: The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991 - PLOT SUMMARIES - EPISODE FIVE:
OUTSIDE THE OLD HOUSE: Julia learns from Willie that
Barnabas is out for a walk. She worries too much sun could be
dangerous for him. Willie comments he keeps telling him that,
but Barnabas can't get enough of the sun. He feels the same
way about his Auntie's blueberry hotcakes. Julia slowly, "You
know how much I care about Barnabas, don't you?" Willie,
"Sure. You're the only one who's really helped him out." She
questions him on Barnabas seeing Victoria - "his life may
depend" on Willie's answers. "I want to know about their
relationship." Willie is confused - "Does Barnabas like her and
stuff like that?" He admits he's worried - he knows he
shouldn't say this, then takes her inside the house.

And the summary only references the end of Julia's quote, and doesn't even reference the "MUST" at all - shameful!

And similar to what I did back in April, I used a screen capture that's the same dimensions as the ones from the original series. In this case one from the from the TGG Direct DVD release -

- because even though that release also doesn't have the correct color timing like the VHS release does -

- also like the VHS release, it has the correct aspect ratio, plus it even tends to show a bit more of the frame (though interestingly not when it comes to the right side, where the VHS actually shows more) and it's clearer than the VHS.

And even though the MGM DVD release, like the TGG Direct release, is clearer than the VHS, frustratingly, the aspect ratio is cropped from 4X3 to 16X9 -

And Ep #5 now joins Eps #1, #124, #198, #478, #659 and #904 as ones without any "must" lines - and that's just the first one for this month.