Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0741  (Read 1726 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0741
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0741
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:33 PM »
I'm thinking that "the jigsaw puzzle of the past" referred to in the voiceover that Barnabas is desperately trying to piece together is now, thanks to him, an incomplete and unrecognizable mess.

But the more I watch this storyline, the more I love Thayer's portrayal of Sandor!

Barnabas to Sandor:  "I feel there is someone here... watching."  "It's gone now."
It seems that both Barnabas and Angelique were given heightened powers in 1897.  I always assumed that Angelique's were perfected during however much time was spent in Hell since her torching in 1796.  But Barn's heightened senses-- in 1897, he can sense when Angelique or Laura is near-- seem to have come out of nowhere.  Or at least I don't recall his having the ability to feel the presence of supernatural creatures when he was last a vampire.

"My cousin Uncle Jeremiah"  hee hee

Barnabas and Quentin have a common goal (destroying Laura), but unfortunately they're still incapable of working together.  And Barnabas is not helping the situation with his mysterious comings and goings, constant interferences in family matters, and dreadfully obvious interrogation techniques.

Laura's orgasmic reaction as her painting burned in the fireplace-- "aaaah ohh it's been so long aaaa so long"-- made me long for the subtly of Laura's 66/67 story.  [easter_sad]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 03:45:51 AM »
I'm thinking that "the jigsaw puzzle of the past" referred to in the voiceover that Barnabas is desperately trying to piece together is now, thanks to him, an incomplete and unrecognizable mess.

But the more I watch this storyline, the more I love Thayer's portrayal of Sandor!

Never were truer words ever spoken -- to both statements!

Isn't that coffin awfully plain for a Collins?  Looks like just pine boards slapped together, yet Barn's from only 10 years later is much more ornate.

...But Barn's heightened senses-- in 1897, he can sense when Angelique or Laura is near-- seem to have come out of nowhere.  Or at least I don't recall his having the ability to feel the presence of supernatural creatures when he was last a vampire.

I don't remember anything like that either.  I suspect it was the classic writers thing: "we need to indicate that she's there so we need him to feel something"

And Quentin's a real bright boy -- he immediately catches on to Magda's lack of response and reasons out why it ISN'T.  Interesting juxtaposition with the next scene where Barnabas thinks he can trick Quentin into saying something he didn't intend to.

LOL I loved that one too.  But to give him points, he charged right ahead with the rest of the line.

Barnabas and Quentin have a common goal (destroying Laura), but unfortunately they're still incapable of working together.  And Barnabas is not helping the situation with his mysterious comings and goings, constant interferences in family matters, and dreadfully obvious interrogation techniques.

Oh that was a close one.  Now what would have possessed him to go pay a social call at 5AM?  And Quentin knows something is up, and is managing to turn the tables quite neatly on Barnabas' little attempt at getting information.

Interesting line there after Quentin opens the telegram:  "I used to be able to believe my own lies.  How fortunate I was.  I don't think I realized that until tonight"  Since we have a good idea what news was in that telegram, we see that even as someone who was described as obsessed with Baal (aka the supernatural), this confirmation of the supernatural has rocked him deeply.  It's as if he would like to be able to lie to himself and convince himself that this wasn't possible.

And we have a few more dates to play with now.  Quentin sent the cable to Alexandria on  April 27 1897, which means it's probably now the first week of May or so, 1897 time.   Laura died in Alexandria March 7,1896. Working backward from that, it would seem that Quentin got tossed out isometime in mid to late 1895, Laura followed sometime soon after, and with travel times and all, presumably they were together there a few months before whatever happened with the police and Quentin spying for the police that ended in her death by fire.  Working back a little further, one can guesstimate that their affair went on from 1894 and Quentin and Jenny were married from at least 1894 forward, if not earlier. 

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 08:16:51 AM »
And we have a few more dates to play with now.  Quentin sent the cable to Alexandria on  April 27 1897

This aired April 28, which means the writers are trying to reconcile the date in the past with the real time date.  Which is a dangerous thing to do when your characters are time travelers.  Can you say 1795/1796?

Laura died in Alexandria March 7,1896.

I think that one was a bad choice.  Bad bad bad.  Nora said in #728 that she hadn't seen her mother for about a year.  And Barnabas said in the ep after this one that Quentin and Laura spent a great deal of time in Alexandria.  It doesn't fit that Laura has been dead for over a year.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 01:50:32 AM »
And it just struck me in reading your post that we may have another contradiction (though I intend to go back and watch the first episode with Barnabas and Quentin to try and confirm this). I have some memory from that episode where Quentin and Barnabas first meet that Quentin tells Barnabas that he spent 6 months in England.  Of course, this may mean nothing, as he may have been all over the world after watching Laura burn, but I think I want to go back and check anyway.

Of all the timelines, 1897 is the one where we have the best chance of the timeline actually fitting together properly.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:53:34 AM »
Doesn't Barnabas say that the original Laura died in the late 1800's rather than 1700s?   [ghost_huh]

And, by the way, doesn't anybody ever sleep in Collinwood?   I love how they're all up and running around, dressed to the nines when the clock strikes 5 in the morning.   [ghost_sleep]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 07:24:31 AM »

LOL! One of my FAVORITE BLOOPER! HEE HEE indeed!  [ghost_grin]

Laura's orgasmic reaction as her painting burned in the fireplace-- "aaaah ohh it's been so long aaaa so long"-- made me long for the subtly of Laura's 66/67 story.  [easter_sad]

I would have to totally agree.  I absolutely love the Phoenix storyline in 1966/1967!  I have to agree with one of the writers who spoke about Laura on the 35 anniversary video, Laura truly paved the way for the vampire story and I truly think without Laura there wouldn't be a Barnabas!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 02:08:40 PM »
Laura told Magda to burn her portrait. I'm guessing that Laura wasn't able to do it herself. I thought it was pretty neat that Laura could feel the portrait being burned, just like she was burning, and it was an orgasmic experience.  [ghost_cheesy] (Note: I forgot to mention when I wrote about the previous episode that I thought it was great when Magda did a card reading for Laura, and Magda said that death already happened. That line was thrilling!) [ghost_wink]

I loved it when Quentin was "holding up" Barnabas from leaving at 5:00 AM, saying he'd like to go with him to Bangor and get together for a meal.  [ghost_shocked] I particularly liked Quentin's line, "You do eat Lunch, don't you, Cousin Barnabas?" Quentin was getting quite curious about Barnabas's "life". It was great when Magda and Sandor appeared and Sandor saved the day by lying about an urgent message from Bangor. [whew]

Quentin got the cable in this episode confirming that Laura died in Alexandria. [milestone] It was great when Barnabas saw the cable was on the table before Quentin. Then, when Quentin confronted Laura with the cable, that was another excellent scene. Quentin knew that if Laura took the children, that they would die. For all his supernatural knowledge and interest, I don't think Quentin knew that Laura was a Phoenix and Barnabas was a vampire, though (at least not yet). [ghost_undecided]

Barnabas: "My Cousin...Uncle Jeremiah" --- Sandor: "Laura Collinwood" (instead of "Laura Stockbridge") --- Barnabas: "1875" instead of "1785" (the year Laura Stockbridge died). I just love those bloopers! [signerror]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 03:10:46 AM »
I know life gets in the way of DS fun at times.  Just wanted to say great to see ya here again Sally!  [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 01:58:27 AM »
By my count, this was the third episode that ended with somebody announcing that Laura was already dead - the first being when Quentin first saw her on her return to Collinwood, and the second being when Barnabas saw her.  I'm getting to like it.  It's like hearing the chorus of an old familiar song.

As Quentin talked to Laura in the cottage, I wondered what it would be like, to see alive somebody whose death you had witnessed, and I realized what a nice touch it was, to make it that Quentin betrayed Laura to her death.  If she had died of a common or garden fever, it would have been easier for him to tell the world about it - but even Quentin pauses before telling the world, "I sold Laura out, and that's why I got a front-row seat for her execution."

Why couldn't Laura put her own portrait into the fire?  It makes for a good scene, but does it make any sense?

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 03:02:30 AM »
...- but even Quentin pauses before telling the world, "I sold Laura out, and that's why I got a front-row seat for her execution."

And yet another throwaway to what must be a very interesting backstory.  One does wonder what "sold her out" really means.  It implies she DID something for the priests to execute her for.  Since apparently Quentin knew nothing of her phoenix side until both of them returned to Collinwood, them needing to sacrifice her "just because" doesn't seem to be enough reason.

We have quite a few unconnected pieces here:  he was a police spy, he "sold Laura out", and his neck had been on the line till he did.  Sounds rather Mummy movie like, in that they may have committed some blasphemy which being a snitch got him out of.  But what is the reasoning for making the stoolie watch the execution.  Oh, this whole sequence of events just SCREAMS for a well written fanfiction explanation.

Jeannie