Author Topic: Should DS' Former Home Now Be Called The Giant Insects Channel?  (Read 2777 times)

Offline rosebud cottage

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Should DS' Former Home Now Be Called The Giant Insects Channel?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 04:27:34 PM »
Don't ever feel ashamed for loving DS or any cult TV series (or comic book or movie genre, etc.). I have found when people have interests like these, they are usually smarter, more interesting, more civilized than the rest of society. DS led to my interest in horror movies which in turn led to my interest in all types of movies. When I read about the DS actors doing plays in New York this resulted in me falling in love with live theater & participating in live theater. The DS flashbacks to the past intensified my interest in history. The mansions seen on DS & in the DS movies made fall in love with architecture & the beautifully designed & decorated sets sparked an interest in different periods of decor. All these paintings on DS - I love to look at art because of 'em! The storylines inspired by various literary classics caused me to seek out those classics & read them. It in turn made me seek out other great books & I ended up being an English major in college. Sure there are some obnoxious nuts in DS fandom, but there are also obnoxious sports fans or obnoxious political junkies. I have been made fun of for my DS infatuation, but I've also been knocked for liking comic books, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER/ANGEL, the HARRY POTTER books, musicals...(in addition to being a gay, liberal Democrat athiest!). But the people doing the knocking are usually folks who go out every weekend & get drunk or high or people who are so uptight & so overscheduled in their lives that they are incapable of enjoying anything. Long live DARK SHADOWS and thank you, DS, for all you did for me!

David

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 04:53:47 PM »
Amen, Rosebud! :)

I also love classic horror movies because of DS.
That passion got me interested in film in general.
In the 90s, I produced 2 feature films, directed one of them~I worked with Louis Edmonds in his final appearence as an actor!

I'm now a film critic for several publications~~I can trace
my doing all these things directly back to DS!

I've written stories about DS, I've interviewed several of the cast members.
I've also written about Passions & Hammer films~interviewed a few of those actors too!

Becaue of DS' period stories, I began checking out things like Masterpiece Theatre.
I went to the Metropolitan in New York many times.
Because of DS.

My former friend, who puts DS down, works as an accountant, work he hates. He does not have the guts to pursue his own dreams~~only to dis the dreams
of others.

Rosebud, I'd love to hear more about your theatre work!

David

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 05:54:16 PM »
Willie, I do apologize for having gotten a little testy with you!

And I apologize for having been my usual smart-aleck self  ;D 

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
It's one thing to be teased by friends but another when the teasing turns into constant put-downs and the like. Time to find new friends, IMO. I get teased for having a poster of William Butler Yeats and a stack of egghead books on the same shelf with a model of Godzilla, Mothra and small poster of Dr. Shock (Philadelphia-area horror host from the 1970s).  I am teased but not put down for it.

Nancy

I make jokes about my "geekhood" too.

But when friends constantly make snide remarks about the things I like it gets annoying.

I actually ended a long term friendship~~a childhood friend~because the guy just wouldn't stop making nasty remarks about DS, and snide put downs of me for liking it.

I always respected his likes & dislikes & expected the same in return.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 08:07:13 PM »
Don't ever feel ashamed for loving DS or any cult TV series (or comic book or movie genre, etc.). I have found when people have interests like these, they are usually smarter, more interesting, more civilized than the rest of society. DS led to my interest in horror movies which in turn led to my interest in all types of movies. When I read about the DS actors doing plays in New York this resulted in me falling in love with live theater & participating in live theater. The DS flashbacks to the past intensified my interest in history.

Same with me, rosebud cottage.  Watching Jonathan Frid on DS as a kid made me want to become an actor and want to develop my voice.   I wanted to see live theater for the same reason you did.  I wanted to learn more about colonial history and I took that up.  I love horror movies but respect the genre best when there are plots to go with the horror.  Because of DS and the "live" nature of the show, I took up an interest in TV production and I read all books I can find that discuss in detail how TV shows were made whether or not I am a fan of the show.

I don't know all the ins and outs of plotlines re DS.  I don't know those details about any show I love.  It's not necessary to have that kind of knowledge to enjoy a show or, for that matter, post here.

rosebud cottage, you are wise beyond your years.

nancy

David

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 08:08:41 PM »
as always, words of wisdom from Nancy!

Nancy: Dr. Shock has been covered in Scary Monsters Mag a number of times!

David

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 12:47:35 AM »
I get the teasing, too, because of my love for DS.  I also have a fanatic love for historical ocean liners and cruise ships, and I know that sometimes I can get a big "mouthy" when I start talking about my interests, especially with friends who have absolutely no like-interest.  So sometimes, us fans (of whatever we're fans of) - on very rare occasions - can get a bit annoying.

My best friend can't stand DS, and has given me ribbings about it.  However, he's a big pro-wrestling fan, something I can't abide.  Ammunition for a return round of fire!  Anytime he would say something about me, a supposedly educated person, liking DS, I would quickly retaliate with:  "Anyone who watches religiously pro-wrestling, buys the magazines, makes video tapes, is in no position to..."  Works everytime.  But then, back in 2003, I was able to combine my love of ships with my love of DS by first going on a cruise from New York to Bermuda, and then on the day we docked back in the Big Apple, off for a one-day visit to that year's DS Fest.  My best friend - who hates DS - was along, including for the DS Fest (he loves ships, too, not as much as me, but he loves cruises).  He had the time of his life, especially since David Selby was there and he got to meet him.  My friend was a big Falcon Crest fan.    He also got see and meet other stars he was familiar with, since many of them did go on to other things.

Now, regarding the Sci-Fi Channel.  Talk about a once really classy cable outlet that went into the dumps with quality programing.  Not only has it dumped virtually all the classic shows it once aired, and which were so much fun to watch again, but it use to produce many great documentaries about either a particular show, or about some horror/sci-fi-related topic.  Many of us remember watching the first airing of the MPI documentary about DS made in the early nineties.  I believe it was made for the 25th anniversary of DS's premier.  There was also a really enjoyable documentary about Lost In Space and Irwin Allen, hosted by Bill Mumy, Jonathan Harris and the guy who was the voice of the robot.  We had tons of classic horror/sci-fi movies to watch, rather than the insipid computer-designed-schmaltzy-looking-monster-eating-people-until-the-survivors-who-all-are-wearing-stained-torn-T-Shirts-corner-it-in-a-barn/cave/warehouse-where-it's-blown-up-at-the-end flicks now "gracing" the network.  (And pro-wrestling!  OMG, my worst nightmare....pro-wrestling!)  Way back in the nineties, when I would crawl into bed, I would turn on the TV in the darkened bedroom and enjoy an episode of Boris Karloff's Thriller.  Now it's all gone.  Yes, there are a few high-quality shows on Sci-Fi; I enjoy Battlestar Gallactica, and on occasion I'll watch that one show (it's name now escapes me) that's a more light-hearted version of The X-Files.  It's actually rather funny.  But the golden days are gone.  Sci-Fi isn't the only channel that was once high-class; AMC was, too, until it went "commercial."

Guess nothing stays the same anymore.

Gerard

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 03:19:55 AM »
dr. shock. wow. i loved him and watched every show while growing up in philadelphia! actually his show was where i first saw some of the classic horror films like dracula and frankenstein. then i would watch dark shadows and see similiar stories being told! about 10years later i tried getting a job at the station that was broadcasting dr.shock just to work on that show or be in the same location. it wasnt meant to be. then sadly dr. shock passed away in 1980 or 81. nancy, do you have the lovely tribute program  that wphl did on dr. shock shortly after his death?

Offline rosebud cottage

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 10:30:54 PM »
A/E has gotten bad too - very little art & very little that is entertaining...

David

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 02:54:35 AM »
 :-
Sci Fi strikes again!
Next week they show another in house "classic", a film
about rampaging crows & blackbirds.

They don't even have the class to acknowledge Mr. Hitchcock.

I recall switching from cable to Dish Network in 2000 because the cable company in Hoboken NJ, where I lived at the time, didn't carry Sci-Fi & I wanted to watch DS.

How the mighty have fallen, sigh..........

David 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 05:05:23 AM »
They don't even have the class to acknowledge Mr. Hitchcock.

Well, that's because the target audience for Sci-Fi these days probably doesn't even know who Alfred Hitchcock is.  ::)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 05:50:19 AM »
Alfred Hitchcock?  The guy who made those chairs in the Old House?  Such a pity he was drunk at the time.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 05:55:20 AM »
Um - the (aledgedly) drunk guy would be Oliver Bennett. The Hitchcock chair was something Barn was supposedly going to give Philip for the antique shop.  [b003]

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 06:00:57 AM »
IIRC, the drunk craftsman reference is made by Stokes when he picks up a small table at the Old House and inspects it when Barn is really wanting to talk to him about some sort of amulet to protect Dr. Lang from Cassangelique. (It's a good example of Stokes' ability to put on a grand performance to acquire the response/reaction he wants.)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 06:11:23 AM »
It's a good example of Stokes' ability to put on a grand performance to acquire the response/reaction he wants.

And it's one of my absolutely favorite scenes in all of DS. But I think I may have mentioned that once or twice already.  :D