Author Topic: Julia's Sedative's In 1995 etc.  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Julia's Sedative's In 1995 etc.
« on: March 22, 2007, 09:51:58 PM »
Does anyone have any idea where Julia got her sedatives in 1995?

Also I just love 1995, it's probably my favorite storyline of them all.  Very innovative, the sets looked great, and the acting superb.  Plus it was Jon and Grayson the whole two weeks...and I loved that.  Some funny things I have noticed though, didn't anyone think they were dressed strange?  LOL or for that matter..they wore the same outfit day in day out, did they even shower?   I noticed in the ep when they return to 1970 they didn't even bother to change clothes and just started there research.  Talk about dedication!! :)

For those who saw 1995 back in 1970, what did you think about it?  It had to seem like such a foreign time that was worlds away.....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Julia's Sedative's In 1995 etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 01:18:25 AM »
She probably had a constant supply in her purse (without which she would never travel, just like Queen Elizabeth II).  They shared her pocketbook along with a plastic rain bonnet, two half-sticks of Wrigley's Spearmint gum. some Fenamints (some of which escaped the container and are rolling around on the bottom of her bag), two pens (one hasn't worked in years), a small, spiral notebook, her wallet, a pair of gloves, keys, a little tin of Bayer, and bunched-up kleenex.

Gerard

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 03:36:36 AM »
Gerard, you just described the inside of my mothers purse in 1970. What was I doing in my mothers purse??? I was a bad kid...

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 04:03:45 AM »
For those who saw 1995 back in 1970, what did you think about it?  It had to seem like such a foreign time that was worlds away.....

It's a few years back but I don't remember thinking that 95 was much different from 1970. I mean they didn't use cell phones or computers at Collinwood in 95.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 04:09:32 AM »
Just think, though, if the prop masters had though innovatively enough to create a cardboard box that looked like a desktop computer, or a small calculator that turned into a cellphone......they would've been WAAAYYY ahead of their time.

The thing that nixed the 1995 thing for me, was the clothing. I wish they had've been a little more imaginative with the futuristic garb, instead of just throwing 70s stuff on their people. I loved 95, don't get me wrong, but watching it through this past time, that's what stuck out most for me.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 04:51:55 AM »
The thing that nixed the 1995 thing for me, was the clothing. I wish they had've been a little more imaginative with the futuristic garb, instead of just throwing 70s stuff on their people. I loved 95, don't get me wrong, but watching it through this past time, that's what stuck out most for me.

How about the Professor's transistor radio style hearing aid?  If only someone had considered that, hey, maybe they'll shrink and become easier to wear in another 25 years.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 04:58:58 AM »
Yeah, too bad they didn't go for that spandex look for future fashion that they had in the Buck Rogers television series.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 07:42:27 AM »
1995?  How did she get drugs in 1897 and 1840?
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 02:31:23 PM »
While it would've been neat if the writers, costumers and set designers did try to come up with some concepts about how things would've looked in 1995 from their 1970 perspective, in reality I opine it might've been a disaster.  I'm picturing everyone walking around looking like extras from The Jetsons.  Imagine them digging around in old storage boxes and pulling out clothing and props left over from Tom Corbett, Space Cadet.  Egads.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 10:29:23 PM »
"The Twilight Zone" had been doing futuristic costumes for years by this time......it really would not have taken much effort to dream up some concept of "1995" costumes.  It was just another of those things they couldn't be bothered trying to do on their limited budget.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 10:43:39 PM »
It's a few years back but I don't remember thinking that 95 was much different from 1970. I mean they didn't use cell phones or computers at Collinwood in 95.

No, I don't remember the ghost of Gerard/Judah using a cell phone once.

We didn't get "futuristic" clothes in 1995, so we would all be laying into them now for doing that, if they had.    They went conservative, which was right.   I'd never have expected the huge changes in the culture in 1970 to slow down to a crawl and even reverse themselves in some cases, but they did.  We still have pretty traditional looking suits.

The whole town seems sort of traumatized, and having it as an isolated backwater cut off from changes in the world seems appropriate.   The new time line probably has a livelier and trendier 1995 Collinsport, for better and worse.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 10:56:41 PM »
So true about some communities being a bit behind in things.  In the backwater town I live in, we got our first Starbucks just a month ago, and until recently, out only "ethnic" restaurant was Taco Bell - kid you not.  The standing joke around here is that we're finally entering the eighties.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 12:23:26 AM »
Parachute pants in about five years, Gerard, stay tuned for that...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 01:00:02 AM »
We still have people walking around using bubble umbrellas, Magnus!

Gerard

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 02:49:43 AM »
 Hey don't laugh guys but I have a suit that I bought from Robert Halls in 1976 in my closet. And it's still in style.