Author Topic: Cagney & Lacey on DVD / was: Re: ShadowGram Update # 165  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Cagney & Lacey on DVD / was: Re: ShadowGram Update # 165
« on: February 10, 2007, 07:46:44 AM »
Topic:  ShadowGram Update # 165

Fox/MGM indicates it plans to release CAGNEY & LACEY Season 2

Finally!  :D

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
Re: Cagney & Lacey on DVD / was: Re: ShadowGram Update # 165
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 12:52:44 AM »
ShadowGram wrote:
Fox/MGM indicates it plans to release CAGNEY & LACEY Season 2
Finally!  :D

The Cagney&Lacey Yahoo group I'm on was informed of this a couple of weeks ago, as they have contacts with people who work for Barney Rosenzwieg (C&L producer and husband of Sharon "Cagney" Gless.)  This is part of a dual enterprise, which includes the upcoming release of BR's 25th-anniversary memoirs of his C&L experiences.  There is now an official website for anyone wishing further information:

http://www.cagneyandlacey.com

Does anyone know if John Karlen has already done or will be contributing an interview for the "extras" part of the DVD set?
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:41:22 AM »
Fox/MGM indicates it plans to release CAGNEY & LACEY Season 2 - the first full season of 22 episodes with John as "Harvey" - on 5-8.
TVShowsonDVD.com posted a news item tonight indicating that this title has been removed from the May release schedule. No new date has been announced.  :(

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 02:30:53 PM »
There is an additional item this morning on the TVShowsonDVD.com site about the delayed release of Cagney and Lacey on DVD. It apparently involves clearing music rights, but there is a link to a lengthy blog entry by series producer Barney Rosenzweig about the entire process of getting the show released. He ain't a happy camper.

His blog entry mentions that a C&L reunion at the Museum of Television and Radio was scheduled to coincide with the DVD release. According to the MTR press release that is supposed to occur on April 30. Gless and Daly are listed as attending, but no Karlen.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 01:15:49 AM »
Thanks, MsCriseyde.  Geez, sounds like a lawsuit in the making.  I needed to have "detrimental reliance" explained to me.   :-

I'm glad I got to see the entire series again not long ago on a local station.  The acting of all the leads was amazingly good.  I hope the MTR event isn't already sold out.

Remember what Karlen answered at a NY Fest when asked about another C&L reunion movie?  Something like, "We wouldn't all fit on the screen."  He's so funny.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 03:36:40 AM »
I needed to have "detrimental reliance" explained to me.
It's one of many legal terms for getting screwed over.  ;D  (Actually, I don't have a clue what it is.)

It's really sad that getting this series out on DVD is turning into such an uphill battle that involves rehashing some of the same issues that faced the broadcast run.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 03:49:47 AM »
What's really sad is that some of the worst crap ever put to celluloid doesn't seem to have any problems being issued on DVD, yet a quality product like C&L has to jump through hoops to do it.  ::)  But then, no ever said there's any fairness in life or art...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 05:33:37 AM »
It's one of many legal terms for getting screwed over.  ;D  (Actually, I don't have a clue what it is.)

Sounds like you do.   8)

I don't dare call this a legal definition, but if I understood it correctly, if someone reasonably relies, to his or her detriment, on a promise I've made to that person, the promise is legally binding even without a contract.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 05:43:21 AM »
You'll be happy to know that the DVD release is now (for the time being!!!) back on track.  For details, go back to "Barney's Blog" on the official Cagney & Lacey site listed above, and read his latest entry, "WIN/WIN." [bigok]

Apparently the issue generated some media attention within a VERY short time, in part thanks to the Internet--- the C&L Yahoo group alone has almost 500 members, last count--- and MGM relented.   Many are relieved--- hopefully, this will be the LAST delay for this series.  (Everyone's VHS copies are just about worn out by now ::) )

Plus, for DS fans, in addtion to John Karlen, the epsiode that featured both the late Dennis Patrick and Barbara Cason was to be included in the first season colection. Other DS alumni such as Gail Strickland and John Harkins guested on C&L during its 1982-88 run.

Keeping my fingers crossed..... [angel5]

"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO