Author Topic: Things to Hate About DS  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Things to Hate About DS
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 08:49:11 AM »
The lack of character development & background stories for some of our main kids, Willie, Julia specifically (where were they from anyway?  Didn't they have their own relatives?)

Exactly...one of my gripes too.  >:(  Then again there's always fanfic...  >:D

Anyway...

¢â‚¬¢  Again, the whiney *Jeff "hair fetish" Clark*
¢â‚¬¢  Not enough episodes featuring Julia in one of her lovely nighties... ^-^
¢â‚¬¢  Never getting a glance at one of Collinwood's posh bathrooms...  ;D
¢â‚¬¢  Julia never getting any...ya know.    >:D
¢â‚¬¢  And, I agree, Leaving Chris Jennings fate up in the air bugged me too...

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 09:09:15 AM »
I don't think I hate anything.  There were lots of things I wasn't wild about or didn't like as much as others, but I went with the flow of it and enjoyed everything to some extent.
Josette

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 09:44:56 AM »
The loose, wobbling bannister at the Old House.  That's all I hate.  Sooooo unnecessary.    ::)

;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 02:52:58 PM »
     The cheap use of cast members (ex. no extras, few characters used in episodes, no location shots with actors in them)
     No romances for Elizabeth(Gee, they may have had to hire another actor)
    The actor who touched his hair too much.  Heck, he touched everybody too much.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 12:05:58 AM »
The loose, wobbling bannister at the Old House.  That's all I hate.  Sooooo unnecessary.    ::)

;D

I read somewhere that the staircase at the Old House wasn't a complete staircase and that  the actors had to use a chair to step up and down to get down on the other side, once they were out of camera range.

I guess that explains Grayson Hall's ability to step up and down so easy in that chair when she had her red notebook stashed away on top of the... I can't think of the name for what that type of closet is called.

I can't climb worth a flip. I'm like holding on for dear life when I have to use the step ladder to change a light bulb.

As for what I hate about Dark Shadows... I hate that it was canceled. 

FireRose

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 12:24:53 AM »
As for what I hate about Dark Shadows... I hate that it was canceled.

Me too.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 01:22:49 AM »
Downplaying Liz and Rogerin the story after Barnabas arrived.
A certain actor playing too many roles.
The abrupt ending of 1897.
Losing the live exterior shots
Losing the miscellaneous people in the background.
No backstory on Julia other that she and Dave Woodard were friends in medical school (she did make reference to her grandmother once though).

and..

losing a great opportunity to use Monty Hall in the Dream Curse. lol.

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 02:53:29 AM »
I didn't like what they did to the Victoria Winters character character in regards to the Leviathan storyline.

Murph

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 03:16:51 AM »
The breakup of Joe and Maggie. 

Too many loose ends in each storyline (e.g. upon returning to the present from 1795).

[spoiler]Barnabas suddenly deciding he "loves" Angelique after all she did to him.  [scratch] (Sorry, Terry308.)

Vicki getting killed by Jeb Hawkes.  [hdscrt] [scratch][/spoiler]

ProfStokes

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 03:41:12 AM »
It always seemed strange to me that both Vicki and Carolyn knew Barnabas was a vampire right after Vicki's return from 1795, yet they seem to forget it with no real explanation after Barnabas isn't one anymore.  Carolyn just makes some weird comment like "Vicki and I were just too involved with Barnabas' problems," or something lame like that.  And it's never clear when or if Vicki ever forgets, although she fails to mention it again.

It's just weird.

Another, albiet minor red herring:  Willy plants some of Josette's earrings in Maggie's purse.  When she finds them and puts them on, she seems to become possessed.  She does this for a few episodes, then nothing ever comes of it.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 04:02:36 AM »
Too many loose ends in each storyline (e.g. upon returning to the present from 1795).

[spoiler]Barnabas suddenly deciding he "loves" Angelique after all she did to him.  [scratch] (Sorry, Terry308.)

Vicki getting killed by Jeb Hawkes.  [hdscrt] [scratch][/spoiler]

I agree with those, most especially the first one in the spoiler tags. I haven't actually seen that storyline, but the knowledge of it drives me absolutely crazy.

Also for me:
-The lack of use of the character of Willie, by far one of the best characters on the show
-The Adam and Nicholas Bair storylines.
-Not enough screen time for Barnabas and Josette as a couple in 1795
-The way it became less about the present day Collins family (Elzabeth, Roger, etc) and more about all the supernatural characters after 1795.
-The fact that good potential couples never got more development
-Peter Bradford/Jeff Clark

My own spoilerized pick:

[spoiler]Nicholas erasing Maggie's memory of her abduction by Barnabas. The writers really took the easy way out and that was completely disappointing for me. That would've been a better storyline to explore than the continuation of the Adam and Eve and Nicholas stuff.[/spoiler]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 04:12:17 AM »
It's between two things:  Icky Vicki, or Yaeger's nose.  Which ever would win, it would be by a nose.

Gerard

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 04:19:21 AM »
No backstory on Amy Jennings.
Jeff Clark's treatment of Amy Jennings. Scaring little kids.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 04:31:36 AM »
barnabas'bride...i'm with you on your spoilerized pick.i'm watching those episodes now and what have been treated as earth-shattering(maggie's memories)was almost used as filler while the story really focused on the adam/eve business.it just seemed like they were giving willie and maggie something to do because neither of them were that directly involved with the rest of the story at that moment(which if you think about it was not even really about barnabas).
i did think that the "flashbacks" maggie had were pretty cool though.julia even wore the hairpiece she was wearing when the events actually took place which i thought was a nice bit of continuity.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 08:25:31 AM »
I read somewhere that the staircase at the Old House wasn't a complete staircase and that  the actors had to use a chair to step up and down to get down on the other side, once they were out of camera range.

Undoubtedly.  Except I remember one show where there was trouble with Adam I think?  And they had Barnabas standing at the top of the stairs with a gun?  Or was it Adam at the top of the stairs?  My memory's all fuzzy on it.  But that's the only time I ever remember them having the "top of the stairs" rigged up.

The stairs for the Old House basement were just a few steps and then nothing.  You had to hop off.  (Maybe they had something placed there to step down on during actual taping 'cause it was enough of a drop that you definitely made noise getting off of it).   Then again....since when did they ever care about studio noise??  [lghy]

I guess that explains Grayson Hall's ability to step up and down so easy in that chair when she had her red notebook stashed away on top of the... I can't think of the name for what that type of closet is called.

LOL.   ;D  A woman of endless abilities!

I can't climb worth a flip. I'm like holding on for dear life when I have to use the step ladder to change a light bulb.

Me too!  [lghy]  If I need the step stool to change a bulb and don't have a wall or something to brace myself with, I'm yelling for one of the kids to come hang on to me.   ::)

Signed,
Off-Kilter

[wavey]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>