Author Topic: Which Bitch?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Which Bitch?
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:44:08 PM »
Fans,

Most of us prefer not to think of DS in the "soap opera" category; yet, historically,this was the format under which it was produced and the lens through which its home network of ABC viewed it.  (Two of the most entertaining clips on the DVDs are interviews with a gentleman who was put in charge of publicity for ABC's daytime schedule during the mid to late 1960s. His story about what happened when a couple of board members insisted on watching an episode of DS and were subsequently baffled by "Uncle Barnaby's" teeth is hysterical.)   

One of the mainstays of the soap opera format is the Bitch character that audiences love to hate.  I believe the most celebrated of these women in the entire genre was played by an actress (probably retired now) who is famous for having been nominated for an Emmy 20 times but never winning.  If memory serves, this actress had to go mano a mano with Sarah-Michelle Gellar when SMG was a deceptively innocent-appearing young actress on the soap. 

I was thinking about Angelique (known to a certain circle of my friends as "the WB," short for "Witch Bitch") and how she does, and does not, conform to the soap opera stereotype of the Bitch.  Probably the original portrayal of Angelique in 1795 comes the closest to the archetypal Bitch although in a more literary way than I think is common on soaps.  Ang doesn't just want Barnabas; she also wants the entitlement, privileges and status enjoyed by her mistress--"all the pretty things I have been denied" (there's a wonderful scene with Ben Stokes where she goes on about how she's going to have it ALL).   Her occult powers add an extra edge to her role as the conniving villainess, but initially, the character is a wronged woman who has been stepped on (if only in her own mind) by others and is determined to get revenge.

Cassandra upgraded the bitch elements an extra knotch.  She wore clothes that were more chic and fashionable than even Joan Bennett's, manipulated her husband outrageously, was two-faced and duplicitous. and went through some turn-on-a-dime mood swings.  When she crashed and burned, she ravaged the scenery brilliantly.

Probably the most classic soap bitch of all the Angelique characters was the PT1970 version.  A friend who's a huge Angelique fan actually refers to this one as "certifiably insane."  The whole Angelexis business allows for even more blatant instances of duplicitous, equivocating, manipulative behavior.  Manoeuvring Maggie into wearing the same dress she herself had worn at last year's ball was a classic Bitch sequence. 

The thing I find compulsively watchable with how DS handled the "bitch" stereotype is that the writing and acting always gives insights into why these women behave this way.  So, they never degenerate into cardboard cutout stereotypes.  With other "bitches" on the show such as Laura Collins, Minerva Trask, Samantha Collins, and the superbly unforgettable Suki Forbes, we've always understood that each woman had her own take on what had happened to her and a good reason (even if only in her own mind) for acting the way she did.  I think it's one of the aspects that sets DS apart from other soaps. of that day or any other.

cheers, G.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Which Bitch?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 04:15:38 AM »
I believe the most celebrated of these women in the entire genre was played by an actress (probably retired now) who is famous for having been nominated for an Emmy 20 times but never winning.  If memory serves, this actress had to go mano a mano with Sarah-Michelle Gellar when SMG was a deceptively innocent-appearing young actress on the soap.
She did win, in 1999, and has not yet retired.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:47:55 PM »
angelique and laura...

the two best soap bitches ever!

angelique.i remember a scene set in 1795.ang had pinched one of josette's fine paris hats and was boasting to ben stokes that one day she'd only have the finest things.in this scene i almost found angelique to be quite touching.like a poor servant girl scorned in favor of her rather spoiled and insipid mistress(which as written i found josette to be as an actual character).but then she turns around and does something really vicious.
in 1968 cassandra definitely took things up a notch being malicious when she really didn't need to be.she could have achieved the same results without causing so much damage.like with liz.not only did she cause liz to fear death but actually orchestrated her death with the naomi poisoning stuff.that's cold!blinding sam evans when as an artist she knew that would ruin his life.yes liz and sam crossed her but she could have just caused them to have memory lapses and not do such permanent damage.and of course making everyone in collinsport have that dreadful dream when only barnabas needed to suffer from it for the same end result.

i did notice when i first watched the 1968 episodes that cassandra was indeed granted an exquisite wardrobe(heavy on the green!).re-watching now i see that she got a new ensemble for nearly every episode!it's like the producers realized what a gem they had in angelique and wanted to highlight the character looking her best.most of the other character wore the same clothing repeatedly sometimes for years(ie. liz and that insane chartreuse caftan thing worn from 66-71).

as evil as angelique is she is usually motivated by understandable human emotions(love,hate,jealousy,revenge)where as laura seems so cold and unearthly.true she can operate out of revenge(liz,dr.guthrie)but her modus operandi...immolating her own children...makes her extremely hard to identify with.at the same time she's an immensely enjoyable villianess to watch and although it's not fair slightly edges out angelique as my favorite d.s. bitch.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:58:22 PM »
oh and another thought...

a coworker is vaguely into the show and sometimes he finds copies at the flea-market and brings them in and we watch them.

recently we were watching some 1968 episodes when vicki is having to deal with cassandra and nicholas knowing who they really are.she's quite aloof in her dealings with them prompting said coworker to announce "ooh she's frosty isn't she?".

i never though about it that way,as vicki ever being "bitchy",but the character's aloofness,combined with alexandra's aristocratic delivery,can come across as rather cold.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:45:01 AM »
I think Angelique is the ultimate DS bitch, if not one of the ultimate soap bitches of all time. There are several reasons why she can hold this title, as stated previously, but there is one that was missed.

The fact that after everything she went through, after all the crap she tried, all the hell she inflicted on Barnabas and those around him, all in the name of love, that she could, in 1970 (or 69, can't remember) when Barnabas is fooling with the Leviathans, have settled down into a "normal" life and want to live happily, is perhaps one of the best things about her and it added so much to her character. She finally figured out that she couldn't win, decided to marry Sky, and settle down, only to find out [spoiler]that Sky was, in fact, part of the Leviathans himself, and she was scorned yet again by another man, enraging the bitch within. This time, though, she had an actual, undisputable reason for bringing the bitch back.[/spoiler]

1970s Angelique is my favoriate Angelique of them all.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:53:44 AM »
I agree Angelique is the ultimate DS bitch. But I have to give her credit for doing some good for
helping Barnabas, although it came with a price. [ghost_cheesy]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:11:53 PM »
Angelique is the biggest bitch in the whole series, no question. Carolyn was pretty bitchy in the first few storylines, too, though.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »
I have to confess that I adore that "insane chartreuse caftan thing" with the utterly weird rolled collar that Liz wore periodically from 1966 to 1971.  I really wonder why they made her wear it again in hoDS.  Was DC trying to scrimp and save that heavily on the wardrobe budget for the movie?  She looks like Lady Bird Johnson in that thing...  During 1968, I kept hoping for a scene where Cassandra was wearing the demented purple butterfly housedress while Liz was stalking around in the chartreuse caftan.  But as Sandor said so eloquently in 1897, "What might have been ... will never be!"

And yeah, Laura vs. Angelique has to be the most compulsively watchable catfight on DS because both ladies were so evenly matched.  With Julia's epic slap in the face to Cass, you felt that Julia could have left Cass a trashed, sobbing wreck had she chosen to do so ... but she, unlike the Witch Bitch, was too much of a lady to take things to that level.  I love how Julia smirks ever so slightly as she walks away and Cass vows vengeance...

G.

Offline Breebell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 03:28:32 AM »
Angelique is my all time favorite bitch also.

So what is it about her that's so appealing?  She doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities, does she?
So why do we like her so much?
I haven't seen all the episodes yet, so maybe she gets nicer later, but right now I can't think of anything nice she's
ever done for anyone without being threatened and blackmailed herself.

And I think 1970PT Roger was a bitch too.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 03:43:58 AM »
Now that I think about it, basically all of the non-SYT women on Dark Shadows had a little bitch in them. I still think that [spoiler]Julia shoved Roxanne out of the PT Room at the end of 1970PT. XD[/spoiler]
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 05:34:59 AM »
And I think 1970PT Roger was a bitch too.
Good one! [stfl]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Suki Forbes was the best.  She was smart and she was sane, and she had fabulous clothes as well!

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:52:02 AM »
I agree that Roger at times could be as bitchy as any female on the show.