Author Topic: barnabas and jeff clark  (Read 5831 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
barnabas and jeff clark
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:40:06 PM »
i've been watching the 1968 episodes.

there is a scene shortly after the death of doctor lang where jeff clark lets himself into lang's house to retrieve some files about himself(seeing as lang was blackmailing him blah,blah)and encounters barnabas sulking around the place.

so things play out this way.barnabas tries to order jeff out but when he refuses and basically challenges barnabas to fisticuffs b backs down sheepishly.later when jeff vows to return to collinwood to tell vicki of the good news he's discovered b lamely tries to tell him that vicki's a "clever girl" who needs more than a pretty face to satisfy her albatrossian virtuousness.jeff,well on to barnabas' thinly veiled game,in so many words tells b that he and vicki are in love and to "leave us alone!".finally all b can muster up is a garboesque "get out!".from start to end barnabas comes across as ineffectual and rather fey.

and all of this milquetoastiness from a guy who a scant six months earlier was threatening to put burke devlin six feet under for vicki's fine affections.i cannot believe he allows this whippersnapper to order him around in this way!

also i believe this is the first of the great 'jeff mauls vicki' episodes.when he returns to collinwood he spins vicki(who really looks quite lovely in a full-skirted,poppy red dress quite different from her usual number)in the air and then does a real job totally destroying her neat hairdo in a face-grabbing "i love you" moment. [ghost_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: barnabas and jeff clark
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »
I think the spinning through the air moment was the scene where a particularly sharp-eyed friend of mine stated that you could see the "virginal" Miss Winters' undergarments if you played the scene in slo-mo.  (For some reason or other, the undergarments of the ladies of the Great House don't especially intrigue me--although I admit to being fascinated by their habit of wearing high heels to bed!)

I can't remember whether it was Kosmo or another fan who wrote a hysterical short story about the *original* Burke Devlin trashing the 1967 Barnabas in a fistfight.  The scene where Barn was jumping up and down screaming "He bwoke my fang!" to a hapless Willie was truly priceless.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:06:58 PM »
yes gothick,

there is indeed an "i see london,i see france" moment in the foyer in this episode.

sort of a big "granny-panty" type of undergarment if i recall.

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:42 PM »
Don't forget the other classic London/France scene, when two newlyweds enter Collinwood in the PT1970 storyline which set the hearts a patter of many a young chap, myself included (even us gay ones), who had (and still have) massive crushes on TLATKLS.  Maybe MPI can do a video of outakes.

Now, as for Barnabas and Jeff, when Dr. Lang offered to make our hero look like our, well, whatever you want to call him, it would stand to reason that Barnabas would've pondered for a minute and then said:  "You know - no thanks.  I'm not even that desperate if that's what it takes to have Vicki.  I think I'll see what Julia is doing for dinner tonight, and if she's not around, I'll ask Mrs. Johnson.  Would you happen to know a place in town for some good prime and decent martinis?"

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:29:53 PM »
As for Barnabas and Jeff, and Barnabas backing down, first, Barnabas would never have gotten into a fistfight with Burke.  Barnabas's confidence came from the supernatural tricks he had at his disposal.    Second, someone who's been leading a pretty sick, irresponsible, weaselly existence up until very recently (vampire), who before could defeat anyone easily, would get spooked down to his bones at the loss of those powers.    He couldn't possibly have the same confidence as before.

Barnabas just recently chose to give up all his plans to spare Jeff Clark's life.   That was a pivotal moment in Barnabas's life.   Clark doesn't know, and gets confrontational.... That's a pretty crazy, complicated situation, where there's no sensible way available to react.     Do you try to beat up a rival whose life you just spared.... because he doesn't appreciate it?    Because you're losing what you care about most to a clueless jerk?   Or is Jeff the symbol of Barnabas's new morality, someone he needs to care about because he makes Vicki happy?   

Man, am I overthinking this.......

Gothick.... Yes, I agree, if it comes to bodyswapping for love, I think you say no, no matter what.... and he did.    The insanity and absurdity of the whole thing may have helped him a lot in making the decision to "cry enough".    The idea of escaping Ang kept him thinking about it, though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »
I don't think you're overthinking at all, Magnus. I think what you say makes sense. [ghost_wink]

I will say though, that if it weren't for Vicki, Barnabas would probably have loved to have wipe the floor with Jeff. With his cane if nothing else. [ghost_tongue2]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 01:09:18 AM »
there is indeed an "i see london,i see france" moment in the foyer in this episode.

Vicki? [ghost_blink] Which episode number are we discussing?  [ghost_smiley]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:11:24 AM »
I agree with IlB - I think your analysis was very perceptive, Magnus.

And I don't normally advocate violence against the DS characters, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but if only we could have seen the scenario IlB painted of Barnabas, Jeff and Barnabas' cane.  [ghost_embarrassed]  [ghost_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 01:12:36 AM »
Vicki? [ghost_blink] Which episode number are we discussing?  [ghost_smiley]

That would be Ep #487, retzev.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 01:46:41 AM »
Muchas Gracias, MB
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 02:17:02 AM »
Well, I guess when Lang & Clark were not honing their incomparable comedic shtick, the venerable Dr. Lang was mentoring his young colleague about the possible perils of a menage a trois (involving Vicky, Jeff and Mr. B.) with the pithy comment:

"Cherchez la femme."  [love3] [love10] [ghost_nowink]

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 02:22:09 AM »
I think I'll see what Julia is doing for dinner tonight, and if she's not around, I'll ask Mrs. Johnson.

Gerard, 

And, if neither Dr. Hoffman nor Mrs. Johnson was available, perhaps Mr. B. could have asked Donna Friedlander out for a "date"?  Heck, Ms. Friedlander was also affectionately known  as Collinsport's "24/7 - Goodtime Girl." [ghost_rolleyes]

Bob the Bartender

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 02:32:11 AM »

Well, I reluctantly popped my DVD in to review the scene, and it seems that we are treated to a glimpse of Vicki's upper thighs. The tops of her stockings and her garters are visible for brief moment. The fairness of her skin does give the impression of a pair of white grannies, but alas, no panties  [ghost_tongue2]

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 03:03:16 AM »
Darn!
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »

maggie evans had a panty moment too.   quite interesting.