Author Topic: Did you think Roxanne was pretty?  (Read 4541 times)

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Did you think Roxanne was pretty?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 12:56:07 AM »
Donna Wandrey as Roxanne was pretty in a conventional way.  But she never held my attention like Lara Parker, Grayson Hall, Alexandra Moltke or Joan Bennett did.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 02:35:21 AM »
Donna Wandrey as Roxanne was pretty in a conventional way.  But she never held my attention like Lara Parker, Grayson Hall, Alexandra Moltke or Joan Bennett did.

on one of the dvd commentaries someone(i forget who.sam hall perhaps?)says that dan curtis cast women beautifully.

i agree.while i love most of the actresses on the show the four mentioned here are to me the most striking of all.

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 11:07:19 AM »
I've been noticing the phenomenon that Martin Short talks about, that actors have bigger heads in proportion to their bodies than most other people.   She's an example.   Head-to-body proportion is on my mind also because in drawing it's something I've often gotten wrong.    Maybe my perceptions are just off.    KLS seems that way to me, too.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 03:06:53 PM »
Hello Magnus Trask.  I think you're saying that an actors in general have large heads?  I thought that David Ford had a large head in proportion to his body. I don't see it in the other actors.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
It's probably worth pointing out that Jonathan Frid has often rhapsodized over how perfect he thought Donna Wandrey's skin was when they worked on DS (though that's not to imply that it still isn't  ;)) and what a beautiful woman she is. And he's never gone on quite similarly about any of the other DS actresses that he worked with - at least not in interviews or public appearances that I'm aware of.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 02:39:33 AM »
Her SKIN is like porcelain.  I think Donna Wandrey was beautiful back in those days.  I still think time has been VERY kind to her. She still looks great and nowhere near 60.

Off Topic: I am very fair skinned and it helps to stay out of the sun to keep my skin that nice white color I like.  People tell me I am too pale and need to get in the tanning bed.  To which I reply, when you are older and look leather I will still look like young and unscathed by time.  HMMPH [ghost_tongue]  Her skin reminds me of Rose McGowan's (whom I have met in person) and OMG her skin is like truly like porcelain.  It is absolutely goregous.

NO OFFENSIVE to anyone who tans.  It just doesn't work for PALE Scottish/Irish folks like me.  I just burn and that is not attractive at all.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 02:12:02 AM »
I never thought Angelique or Victoria were ever drop dead beauties.  Angelique's mouth always bothered me and Victoria well no. However, Roxanne IMHO was never all that "pretty" either.  Her character was rather daft too.  Not enough backbone.  To her credit she only appeared in about 32 episodes so I guess she needed more time to develop into her own.  But no Roxanne was not pretty as say my girl KLS or even Liz Stoddard.  Now those two....killers!
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 02:30:12 AM »
Pretty? Yes, I suppose, but the character had nothing appealing about her. 1970PT Roxanne was pretty, but also had about as much personality as a sack of flour.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 07:56:05 AM »
Speak the truth and shame the devil, Goober!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »
Speak the truth and shame the devil, Goober!!

That's got to be a Southern expression, and I think I know what it means... My father didn't pass along very much of that to us.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 05:27:18 AM »
Yes it is as far as I know Magnus.  Sorry if I confuse people on this board.  It's basically saying, "TELL IT LIKE IT IS"

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 10:21:52 PM »
Heh. XP

Seriously, though. "Oh, Julia, she's pretty... and she can't talk! I love her!" *cough*

I found the character(s) of Roxanne to be either boring (1970PT) or somewhat annoying (Gerard and Daphne arc). I hold nothing against Donna Wandrey whatsoever, it's just that I found nothing appealing in her characters. That's the writers' fault, though, not hers.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 10:54:55 PM »
Sorry if I confuse people on this board.

I wouldn't worry, Taeylor. The meaning of such expressions (probably practically any common and/or regional expression) can be found as easily as copying/pasting it into Google.  [ghost_wink]  "Speak the truth and shame the devil" brings up dozens of sites with explanations.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 11:49:38 PM »
I know it may be a generation thing but what is XP Goober?  LOL  Very true MB.  Isn't technology the greatest.   Although I have never figured out how to copy and paste here.  It doesn't work in the good old easy right click way.  Or it doesn't for me!  Can someone enlighten me?

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 12:37:43 AM »
I had no particular fondness for Donna's characters, agree with others here they were a bit annoying or you know lifeless.  [ghost_tongue] .  But after her participation in the Jamison Selby's Dark Shadows script was that 2-3 years ago in Brooklyn, I found a new respect for her--she had a small but vital and fun part. 
Julia99