Author Topic: Did you think Roxanne was pretty?  (Read 4542 times)

IluvBarnabas

Did you think Roxanne was pretty?
« on: June 07, 2008, 01:17:29 AM »
I've been racking my brain but I've been unable to understand what it was about Roxanne Drew (at least the one in parallel time) that [spoiler] made Barnabas fall in love with her at first sight. [/spoiler]

She wasn't ugly by any means, she was sort of pretty in a homely way. But I just didn't think she was any raving beauty.

[spoiler] I wonder if the writers were trying to show some emotional growth on Barnabas' part by having him fall for someone who didn't look like or remind him of Josette, but if they were, I don't think they did a very good job. If anything, it only made Barnabas look more shallow, falling in love with another beautiful girl young enough to be his daughter. [/spoiler]

I do think the Roxanne Drew of 1840 was quite lovely though.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Did you think Roxanne was pretty?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 01:48:04 AM »
So you thought 1970PT Roxanne was pretty, while 1840 Roxanne was beautiful... So you are telling me the hair style and clothes can turn someone from almost homely to quite lovely for you?

By the way yes I think she was pretty, but not comparable to Vicki and Angelique in my opinion
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 02:11:46 AM »
I think Roxanne was very pretty. Even at the time I was not very fond of short hair on women, nevertheless she was still very pretty. just my opinion though.
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 02:45:00 AM »
Strong attraction can be the result of the overall package and not just based on looks.  When I was growing up, I had a friend who was considered plain looking but her personality and wit transcended all that and the guys were always after her.

Nancy

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 03:22:48 AM »
I didn't mean to imply that women with short hair styles and modest clothing are homely and not beauty material. I know that is not the case. I'm sorry if I gave everyone the wrong impression.

Actually, it was probably Roxanne's personality more than anything that was the problem for me. She just didn't seem to have very much of it.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 04:16:29 AM »
Apparently, Donna Wandrey who played her was puzzled why she was selected for the part, since she didn't consider herself a knock-out by 1970 standards (especially having short hair when the Marcia Brady look was in).  In the Dark Shadows Companion book, there was mention by the author of Barnabas' apparent infatuation with her in PT1970 wherein he didn't want her offed because he was smitten by her, the author wondering that if he was not smitten by her, she would've been "a gonner."

Gerard

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 05:15:29 AM »
Oh I agree about the personality.  I thought the character was pretty dull.

Nancy

I didn't mean to imply that women with short hair styles and modest clothing are homely and not beauty material. I know that is not the case. I'm sorry if I gave everyone the wrong impression.

Actually, it was probably Roxanne's personality more than anything that was the problem for me. She just didn't seem to have very much of it.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 12:39:40 PM »
By itself, parallel time 1970 Roxanne's personality was indeed dull, but the real time Roxanne that we later meet makes such a wonderful contrast to PT Roxanne that I've got to believe the writers deliberately made PT Roxanne as dull as possible.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 12:56:57 AM »
I thought it made Barnabas look very weak. Roxanne had no personality.

I liked the evil Roxanne in RT.  I wish we could have seen Barnabas' reaction
when he went back to the room behind the Bookcase when they got back to
1970+1971.  What would he have done with the coffin.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 04:50:58 AM »
The question was not put well.   "Pretty" refers to appearance.

As for one person being attracted to another, we are individuals, and it's different for everyone.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 05:25:43 AM »
This is no joke. Roxanne kind of resemble a friend I used to have. This friend also had short red-hair
and pale white skin. When I was watching the 1970 PT and the 1840 Flashback, Roxanne reminded
me of my former friend.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 01:42:50 AM »
that roxanne spent her first several episodes lying on a slab in a bullett-bra one can see how she attracted b's roving eye.

i think she was something of a missfired attempt to get barnabas past the whole "josette" thing(especially as kls was on her way out the door when she was introduced)and move the story in a new direction.but roxanne ended up being a very poorly developed character in all three of her time periods in my opinion.

as for being "pretty" with her shag hairdo and maxi-skirts she was something of a departure from the fall-wearing,mini-skirted ingenues of the 1960's.she was way more 1970's looking and in her own way quite attractive.but as has been pointed out here victoria and angelique were breathtakingly beautiful as opposed to roxanne's mere "prettiness".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 02:29:35 PM »
Well, speaking as a woman, I think Donna Wandry was very pretty and her look fit very much into the early 70's look and style.  She was  mysterious and I think that a man could find that interesting.  I loved the shag haircut (used to wear my hair that way) which was suitable for her facial structure.  I really enjoyed her character as Roxanne the vampire!  Also liked when she stood up to Trask.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 12:50:29 AM »
Yes, with that stylish shag haircut, Roxanne has always reminded me of Jane Fonda in "Klute." [ghost_wink]

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 08:03:32 PM »
I've always thought Roxanne was kind of a knock-out, not at all plain, but more of a stealth beauty - she grows on you. The shag hairdo suited her, and I've always loved red hair.

True, PT Roxanne was dull as dishwater in the personality department, but RT (vampire) Roxanne had quite a bit of spark, IMHO.

The Roxanne of 1840 had an interesting and independent personality before she fell afoul of Angelique. And she really looked lovely the way they dressed her and fixed her hair - like a flame-haired porcelain doll.

I've always wished that if they would have found a way to bring Donna Wandrey back as Roxanne or some other character if the show had ever returned to real time.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.