Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0560  (Read 1768 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0560
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:34:51 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0560
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »
Angelique looks very strange with that dark eye makeup.  I wonder what Joe thought Nicholas was doing to her.

For once I didn't find John Karlen quite convincing today.  I was waiting to be persuaded that although Willie had been perfectly happy to steal jewels from a corpse, the thought of stealing the corpse itself was too much for him.  But something just didn't click.  Jonathan Frid seemed to be having trouble with his lines, so maybe that, combined with the stretch to convey jitteriness over robbing graves, made it tough for Karlen to deliver the goods.  Or maybe somebody else will come along and tell me that Karlen was perfect today.

Grayson Hall, on the other hand, was beautiful in the basement, as Julia contemplated what had become of her life.

Joe's visit to Barnabas was sort of startling.  Suddenly Joe was so friendly to Barnabas!  They were all set to become great pals!  I'm sure that if Angelique knew that she had nipped this manly friendship in the bud, Joe's blood would have tasted especially good to her.

It's strange to think of Jonathan Frid and Joel Crothers acting that scene in the Old House living room, Crothers young and Frid middle-aged - and forty years later, Crothers is long dead and Frid is still very much alive and kicking.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »
I wonder if the writers already realized that the ending of this ep was [spoiler]the beginning of the end for Joe's character? I suspect not because they probably weren't yet aware that they'd be doing the Chris/werewolf storyline - and while his involvement with Angelique certainly contributed to Joe's fate, it was finding out that his cousin was a werewolf that really pushed Joe over the edge. But still, the ending of this ep is bittersweet because, while it signals the beginning of some of Joel Crothers' best work on DS, it also starts the ball rolling on his exit from the show...[/spoiler]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 01:56:32 AM »
it's interesting that once the show went supernatural the original human male characters...burke,joe,sam...found that their days were numbered while their female counterparts enjoyed more job-security(one could always abduct and ingenue and joan bennett wasn't going any place!).

when they leave they're not really replaced by comparable characters but by some kind of monster or other supernatural being.

kind of sad i think. [ghost_sad]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 01:14:30 AM »
This was the first time Barnabas and Julia teamed up to save the Collins family. [milestone] I loved Julia's line, "I don't know what is right or wrong anymore; I only know what is necessary." [ghost_wink]

Angelique looks very strange with that dark eye makeup.
I agree, Lydia.

Or maybe somebody else will come along and tell me that Karlen was perfect today.
I'm that somebody else, Lydia. I thought JK did a fabulous job! [clap2]

[spoiler]But still, the ending of this ep is bittersweet because, while it signals the beginning of some of Joel Crothers' best work on DS, it also starts the ball rolling on his exit from the show...[/spoiler]
Yes, indeed, MB, I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. [spoiler]It's a shame that Joel Crothers didn't stay on the show longer.  [ghost_sad][/spoiler]

Barnabas was his usual manipulative self with Willie. Julia was willing to let him go, but Barnabas was not. In mentioning that Maggie's life might be in danger if he didn't cooperate, Barnabas made a convincing argument to get Willie to change his mind. Poor Willie! [cryg]

There was a sliver of truth to Angelique's story she gave to Joe. It made me wonder if Joe would really be bitten by her. Of course, it was a big fake-out; she did bite him! Poor Joe! [sadg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 02:43:00 AM »
Did you notice the clothes that everyone was wearing. A lot of grays. Julia looked very dressed up for working in the basement with the files that would be dirty.  It is interesting that you didn't see Julia in pants and a work shirt. It just seemed very much out of place. Things seemed very formal for the working on the experiment.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Julia looked very nice and so did Willie.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 06:43:23 AM »
Why didn't Dr. Lang just use one body instead of sewing together parts from different cadavers?  It sounds like Julia is planning on using one complete corpse rather than doing a patchwork deal.

The pre-Barnabas Willie seemed pretty feisty and independent compared to the one we see here.  He seems to have been far more traumatized by his experience as a former vampire underling than, say, Vickie and Carolyn, who immediately (and conveniently) forget everything about the experience once they are out from under the spell. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 07:27:43 PM »
Why didn't Dr. Lang just use one body instead of sewing together parts from different cadavers?  It sounds like Julia is planning on using one complete corpse rather than doing a patchwork deal.

Actually, when Barnabas and Willie argue over Willie's "vile and frightening" part of the experiment, Barnabas repeatedly indicates that Willie will have to do it more than once. Julia even says they will need "bodies".

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 07:39:07 PM »
[spoiler]Marie Wallace with stiching, no!!![/spoiler]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »
[spoiler]Marie Wallace with stiching, no!!![/spoiler]

Apparently Eve did have stitching - and even on her face because [spoiler]Julia warns Adam in Ep #590 that the bandages can't be removed from the body's face (before Eve comes to life) so she will be beautiful and unscarred.[/spoiler]