Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0989  (Read 800 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0989
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:08:08 PM »
Robservations #989

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0989

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:35:30 PM »
Nancy B VO?  Barnabas is in the coffin, VO says, really he is!!  He's there, trust us!!  He's really in that coffin, like Prince Albert is really in a can!

[skull_winks]

And now comes Cyrus's first morning-after, his first rude awakening.  It's like waking up with memory loss and a hangover and some disarray after a night out drinking to excess, but then the whole Yeager/Hyde thing is like that.  It's just that Cyrus was too "uptight" to go out and get drunk, so he had to invent a chemical process to make himself do it!  It really is a sad story, how far he had to go, how involved it all got, just to let loose.  Maybe he should have just put himself in Bruno's hands for a night.  At least he could have gotten the dark side out of Cyrus's system faster.

Sabrina has a painting of flowers.  Wait, does Sabrina live there?  Probably not since they're not married.  That must not be the same house with Cyrus's lab.  The flower painting just seems like a reminder that flowers are everywhere in PT.  Cyrus writes his scientific notes in one of those address and phone number books with alphabetic tags down the side.  There's wooly headed Cyrus for you.

Sabrina relives the dreaded seance, arriving at Collinwood and sitting down at the table in the darkened Drawing Room to begin.  End.  Welcome Frank Paxton played by Stanley Grover, or vice versa.

[skull_winks]

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »
DS Wiki says that the VO is by Nancy Barrett. Script by Gordon Russell.

We know that something happened to Cyrus after he drank his home brew, but the writers rather cleverly conceal it from us for now, and we can only deduce parts of it from what people say and do. Nice!

Detective Frank Paxton arrives, played by Stanley Grover in his only appearance on the show. He tells the horrified Cyrus about how someone attacked Sabrina last night and for some reason took her engagement ring. We know that Sabrina doesn't live in Cyrus's house, because Paxton says the attack took place in her room on Clover Street. Cyrus has a housekeeper, it seems, but she survives Parallel Time by very wisely remaining off stage. [One day I'll make a list of all those people!]

Carolyn Loomis is with Sabrina. Cyrus rushes over, but when he phones the druggist for the inevitable sedative (the sovereign remedy at Collinwood in any dimension, besides brandy), he is stunned to find the engagement ring in his own pocket. (We can now see that Cyrus is well off enough to afford quite a sizable diamond.) After Sabrina takes the sedative and has fallen asleep, Carolyn covers her with a plaid blanket. (Evidently Sabrina isn’t intimate enough with the Collinses to rate an afghan.) Carolyn offers to stay with Sabrina, but Cyrus says the sedative will keep her asleep until well into the night. Carolyn promises to check her later. After Carolyn leaves, Cyrus takes out the engagement ring and thinks to himself, The man who tried to attack her had to be me. He couldn't have been anyone else. There is no other way I could have gotten the ring. Why can't I remember anything? What else did I do last night?

Wonderfully well-written scene with Will and Carolyn. Back at Loomis House, the exhausted Carolyn finds Will dressing with great care. She tells him Sabrina is sleeping, but they haven’t found the attacker. What’s the occasion? she asks Will. You haven’t looked this good in years. Maybe I’m trying to recall how I looked before we were married, he answers. I have trouble remembering, Carolyn replies. I ran into Quentin, Will says. He invited me to Collinwood to meet Alexis officially. Stung to jealousy, Carolyn reminds him pointedly, Alexis is Angelique’s twin sister. Stop it, Will says as he pours himself a fortifying drink. We can’t go through this tacky little drama again without me, Carolyn says. Now Will reminds her it’s not Angelique but her twin. It will be like Babylon revisited, Carolyn says, and with a sultry look, comments, You should be in the middle of a book _she_ can lure you away from. I will be soon, Will assures her cheerily, thanks to your friend downstairs, Barnabas Collins. At least the companions I pick are human. I had no choice, Carolyn reminds him. Why are you so anxious to get him out of the coffin? Will asks. What would people say if they knew the former Carolyn Stoddard had become intimate friends with a vampire? Miserable, Carolyn says, Please let poor Barnabas out of his coffin--it's cruel to keep anyone chained up like that. But Will considers Barnabas the key to restoring his fortunes. He refuses, warning Carolyn, You’ll be sorry if you try to help Barnabas. Almost in tears, Carolyn apologizes for her remarks and asks Will not to go but he marches out the door. I have to prove that I’ve lived her down, he says. I hope you do, she says after he’s gone.

Sabrina is still sleeping, but she has a terrifying dream that recaps her ordeal. A tall, dark stranger breaks into her apartment, pulls the engagement ring off her finger, and holds it aloft with savage triumph. She awakes with a start (but at least she's not Nine-Fingered Sabrina now). Later, Carolyn keeps her word and returns to check on her but finds Sabrina gone.

Desperately trying to figure out why he remembers nothing of the previous night, Cyrus is examining his notebook, which looks remarkably like a phone book with tabs for the letters. His  meticulous and familiar entries from the day before are followed by meaningless scrawls. But he doesn't have time to solve the problem because Carolyn rushes in and practically drags him out to look for Sabrina. She reproaches him for leaving Sabrina alone. I left because the sedative was supposed to last till morning, he stammers by way of excuse.

But a dazed Sabrina looks up at Collinwood, murmuring, This is where it all began--long ago. She lets herself into the house, which is dark and apparently empty. She sits at the drawing-room table. Our fingers must touch, she murmurs. The circle must be unbroken. Let the séance begin.......

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:46:36 AM »
Thanks DL... I guess I take in information visually more than through words, and I get confused when DS keeps jumping between scenes without showing characters in transit, and with one room looking pretty much like most other rooms, whether in town or the estate.  If Sabrina goes upstairs, then we see her in a bedroom, instinctively for me it's the same house, until I'm hit over the head with repeated references to the contrary.

"She awakes with a start (but at least she's not Nine-Fingered Sabrina now)."  How was she this, DL?

[skull_winks] [skelleton_runs]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:39:33 AM »
Mr Paxton from the police for comes to asks questions about The off screen attack of Sabrina. I wonder why he wasn't a Detective or Officer.  Cyrus eventually realizes all the strange things were done by himself while a man  under the influence.
Alexis gets very close to Will. She seems to have boundary issues and attraction to married men.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:08:22 PM »
Is he MISTER Paxton? Disadvantage of not having the videos. I always thought the plain clothes meant he was a detective, but we're talking about the Collinsport Police Dept. here.

MT: I was thinking of Lord of the Rings when I referred to the didn't-happen Nine-Fingered Sabrina.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 04:20:14 AM »
Quote from: DarkLady
It will be like Babylon revisited, Carolyn says
(edited by admin)
Carolyn Loomis...a prophet in her own time!

lololololol

Blah Lisa Richards.

BIG SPOILER.....if you're not familiar w/PT, DON'T READ:

[spoiler]I can't remember, is HAA in this arc? Do we see him again at all?[/spoiler]

The Prophetess

Carolyn Loomis, aka, Carolyn Stoddard, aka Carolyn Hawkes.
What a Woman!