Author Topic: Now That He's Gone....  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Now That He's Gone....
« on: July 31, 2003, 03:53:27 PM »
William H. Loomis went splat, and with him what I thought was the biggest waste of two really good interacting characters:  Mr. and Mrs. Loomis.  They had everything wonderfully tenseful in that relationship:  he feels like he's a loser; she feels like he's a loser, but doesn't want him to be a loser; they both feel "trapped" in a marriage, but feel that it's the only marriage either one would have; they always feel like fighting, but feel they shouldn't.  And booze flows, so they can forget how they feel.  It was a predecesor to JR and Suellen Ewing, or at least it feels that way.  If only they would've shown more of them and their turbulent relationship - it would've been totally engrossing.  Anyway, that's how I feel.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Now That He's Gone....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 05:33:09 PM »
The REAL waste was that of 2 of the best actors on the set¢â‚¬¦JK and NB could dance tangos around a substantial number of their co-stars.  It's a damned shame it took so long for TPTB to see past spoiled little Carolyn and pathetic Willie Loomis¢â‚¬¦..because they each played those parts so well they were doomed to the sterotypes.

But speaking of the characters¢â‚¬¦¢â‚¬¦.haven't most of us known people who had nothing holding them together except an inexplicable love for one another?  They make each other crazy, tear each other apart, fight, storm out, separate¢â‚¬¦..and in the end always come back to one another?

Will and Carolyn tormented one another with lovers, alcohol,  money and words.  But in the end, when their very lives were on the line, they desperately tried to protect one another.  Despite the power Barnabas held over them, they each tried harder for one another's sake, than for their own.  Carolyn, in particular, probably realising that Will was not as strong as she, stood up to Barnabas on Will's behalf¢â‚¬¦.saying things out loud that were certain to make him angry, without hesitation.

Why on earth they chose to kill off Will at this point, is beyond me, unless JK was off to do something else.  Gerard is absolutely right that they wasted the most interesting couple in this storyline.  Not having seen it before, I'm still going to hold out hope that Carolyn never lets Barnabas forget that he, not Angelexis, was responsible in every way for the death of Will¢â‚¬¦..as usual.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 05:46:07 PM »
Couldn't agree more Gerard.  I love DS, but often wish they would have concentrated more on the dynamics between established cast members and not go off on so many tangents, although the tangents themselves could sometimes be entertaining.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 07:47:27 PM »
I too thought Willie was great with Carolyn.
They would make me laugh at times.
            Love Anne
( Hello Gerard )  [wavey]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 09:12:19 PM »
I guess I should express my sympathy to the Karlen contingency..........didn't his hair look great right before he died?

That Karlen.  If it's not one thing, it's another.  If he's not running off to California in the middle of a storyline, he's jumping out of windows.

You just can't win.    :-

(But it's nice to be rid of Bruno and his hair.  That pimp.  [pimp])

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 02:51:29 AM »
Why on earth they chose to kill off Will at this point, is beyond me, unless JK was off to do something else.

Karlen went off to Europe to film Daughters of Darkness. So, if you start to feel too depressed during his absence from DS, just think of some of his, uh, more "interesting" scenes in that film and you'll surely come to realize it was for a good cause. [b003]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 03:55:14 AM »
And, if you're a "first-timer" - there's still Carolyn's reaction to what happened.  Wait til you see that - I think they're some of Nancy's best scenes on the show.
Josette

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 04:34:06 AM »
Karlen went off to Europe to film Daughters of Darkness. So, if you start to feel too depressed during his absence from DS, just think of some of his, uh, more "interesting" scenes in that film and you'll surely come to realize it was for a good cause. [b003]

I can't watch the DVD....I've got a kid hanging around here until school reopens  >:(

Couldn't you have skipped the Montage, just this once?  :'(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 04:49:06 AM »
Couldn't you have skipped the Montage, just this once?  :'(

Actually, the reason why it was so late in getting displayed today was because I couldn't log in to the forum's Web space to upload and link it. Maybe they were trying to tell me something...

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
OT - signature
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 07:18:16 AM »
i totally love your rad siggy love at first bite!  it's just to die for.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2003, 09:16:27 PM »
(But it's nice to be rid of Bruno and his hair.  That pimp.  [pimp])

LOL!  I do agree,  (although I was able to tolerate Bruno a little more than Aristede)

It was unfortunate how they killed Willie off so soon.  He showed so much promise this time around with his writing abilities.  (Seems they did the same thing to his other character Carl from 1897)   And I can count on one hand how many times I saw Carolyn in this storyline, which isn't saying much.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"