Author Topic: New DS Book! The Physics of Dark Shadows  (Read 8964 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: New DS Book! The Physics of Dark Shadows
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 09:13:46 PM »
Hi Frank!  I also received my copy of the book yesterday, and it came just in time to take with me on a trip I'm going on in a few days.  I look foward to reading it!  All best wishes!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
I also want to welcome you to the Forums, Frank! [ghost_cheesy] I received my copy on Wednesday, too. [cheer] I have already read half of the book. It's fascinating! Frank, Amanda, and KLS did a great job writing it! [clap2] It was signed by Frank, and I will bring it to the DS Festival for Amanda and KLS to sign, too.  [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline frank b

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »
I will be a guest on the radio program "Coast to Coast AM" with George Noory tonight to talk about my new book, "The Physics of Dark Shadows."

"Coast to Coast AM" is the number one radio show for science fiction and the paranormal. It is an international show. I have listed links below which give you the show's website, plus the "where to find" page, where you click on your home state and it tells you on what radio station you can hear the show.

Unfortunately, the show airs very late. I go on at 1am here in New York City. On the west coast, I go on at 10pm. If you must miss the show, I believe there is a way to listen to the show through the site's archives.

I also think, in addition to hearing the show on the radio, you can listen straight through the internet. I'm not an expert on how that all works, so check out the site.

I would also like to thank all of you for the very kind messages you have left me on this site over the past couple of days. I especially want to thank Midnite, who am I told is the owner of this wonderful place.

I also want to thank Diane for your lovely comments. (I did not know your user name was "Adamsgirl" but I recognize your picture. I thought you were my girl; well, it's my loss and Robert Rodan's gain.)

To EmeraldRose and madscntst, I'm very pleased that you received the book already. Miss Rose, thanks for the favorable review already, too!

In answer to Sally Collins' question, anyone who wants both ProfStokes' and my signature, just drop a note through the service email on the publisher's website when you order. I'll be signing more books this weekend and will get them to ProfStokes.

And to the lovely Amanda (ProfStokes), my Preface writer, it's always nice to see you, whether in person or on this site.

Thanks again to all. I will continue to keep you posted on other programs or reviews about the book.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/info/wheretolisten.html

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »
Fantastic, Frank! It promises to be a fascinating interview. I'll check out the sites. [ghost_happy]

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »
Thanks for the information about the book and the radio show, Frank. I'll be ordering the book this weekend. I noticed the great reviews you've gotten here.

I'll also try and listen to the radio show tonight. Sounds very exciting.
Sally Collins

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 09:16:05 PM »
Frank, I got my book, too, and am looking forward to jumping into it this weekend. Thank you, congratulations, and all the best of luck!

John in Fairfax VA.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 02:20:10 AM »
I'm heading to Amazon right now to get me a copy. Thanks for the heads up.
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 02:43:47 AM »
Unfortunately, JS, the book is not available from Amazon.com right now.  I know that barnesandnoble.com states that the book will be released from their site on June 28; perhaps that's when amazon.com will begin carrying it too. In the meantime, you can only order it from the publisher by following the link in my original post or at the bottom of Frank's announcement. 

ProfStokes

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 03:20:38 AM »
Thanks professor for saving me a trip over to Amazon. I'm determined so I know that I will get me a copy before it's over. [ghost_wink]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows Physics and Friends
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »
Well, i had to go into work last night (6th day this week).....So i got set up for a long slow night, not busy at all.my coffee, my USA today, and the radio to listen to "Coast to Coast with George Noory". as i do everynight i work.....I had heard the night before that Dark Shadows was going to be a topic for a couple of hours the previous evening, but wasnt sure what night, as the darn am radio tends to fade...Much to my delight, it was last night. The special guest was Frank Borzellieri for 2 hours, the Author of The Physics of Dark Shadows, and i recall the Prof (Amanda) had started  a thread about the book, and i recall she had done the foreward to it, so i thought this would be a really good show..The show turned out to be great! Frank seems to know his DS in great detail, as many on this board do...He talked about the history of the show, the characters, the possibilities of time travel, and perhaps parralel universes...Interesting stuff....OK, the last part of the show was for the listeners to call in...i thought in the back of my mind that maybe someone from this board might give a call, if they were aware that it was airing, and they were still awake...There was one call from a Josette, it seems she had changed her name to Josette because of the show, she said she knew some of the cast members and that she was very sorry that she hadnt been able to see any of them for years, mostly due to financial issues...George Noory promptly tells her if she wants to come to the fest, that all expenses would be taken care of, that coast to coast would foot the bill...she seemed overwhelmed at the wonderful gesture of Georges part...Time was running down, and they would have time for a couple more calls.....The next caller was an Amanda from Carson Ca.......i thought "no way", she said hello to George, and then Frank tells George that this lady is the Amanda that did the forward to his book, along with KLS.....Thankfully the radio was coming in crystal clear....I thought to myself "Hey Hey, this is Professor Stokes" from the DS forums....I had never heard her voice before, but, she was a natural ! If it had been me, i wouild have stumbled, had the radio on too loud and such , but she sounded like she had called a hundred times before....She brought up the topic about who might have been the source for the character of Professor Stokes (who else) and she rattled off a few names if i recall correctly, and asked Frank about it..his reply was something like "you are the expert on this subject... I was thinking "you gettem prof" lol.....So about this time, George Noory was about to take another call from a listener...."And on more thing" Amanda chimes in (earlier in the show, the question was posed if DS or any characters had benn nominated or won an emmy, and Frank correctly stated that there was no emmys for DS or the Actors)....Amanda went to say that the daytime emmys came along after the run of DS was finished. Noory did a "ahhhhhhhh now i see".....or something to that affect.....That pretty much concluded the Profs time on the air, as he has to get to many calls as he can.....But, it was a delight to have heard Amanda on the show i listen to during the week...This young lady has a very bright future, and i was very proud of my little Cuz. [ghost_smiley] I do not write very well, but i think i got across what i was meaning to say (my synopsis writing blows)....BTW, if i am not mistaken, there is transcripts of the show on the coast to coast website....Mr. Borzellieri, i hope your book sells like hotcakes, and i hope it helps to bring new interest to the younger folks about what a great tv show  DS was and is.........trip
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »
Actually, Joan Bennett was nominated for a special Emmy for DS (along with McDonald Carey for Days of Our Lives) - but, oddly, their category was never awarded.  [ghost_sad]

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 12:30:39 AM »
Coincidentally the Author of this book was on Coast to Coast last night did anyone listen to it? Sometimes I wish I had a DVR for my radio. [ghost_wub]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 01:05:00 AM »
I also think, in addition to hearing the show on the radio, you can listen straight through the internet.

The podcast is archived here (for Windows Media or Real Media;a test link is provided for each) but only for subscribers.  For nonsubscribers, there's a link to a brief recap.

Friday's show originally aired on several affiliates across the country and Canada, and even on XM satellite.  Nice!!!

Offline frank b

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »
I want to thank everyone who has posted positive comments about my book, "The Physics of Dark Shadows." I'm happy that the books were shipped out so quickly and that so many of you have read it already. I am also grateful for the private emails I've received in this regard. There are several magazine and newspaper articles about the book coming out. I will post those links when they are published, although some of you find the links before I do. I would add that there was overwhelming reaction to my two-hour radio appearance on Coast to Coast AM. Many of you have posted comments here about that, too.

In addition to local appearances on New York media, I have been asked to appear on Coast to Coast AM again. It may actually be in studio during the week of the Festival. The radio studio is only a few minutes from Burbank. I'll keep you all posted on that when I know the exact date. Midnite has provided the link for anyone interested in hearing the last show.

One interesting anecdote form the show was a caller who was such a big Dark Shadows fan that she legally changed her name to "Josette." She remarked that she was now blind and could not afford to go to the Festival, but had done so many years ago. The host George Noory offered to pay for her entire trip and hotel. She almost started crying on the air. I remarked, "See, anything is possible with Dark Shadows!" George asked me to secure her entrance, and Jim Pierson agreed to comp her admission at my request. Jim also told me her original name was Wendy. It seems she is an old-time fan known to some people. Nice story.

So in the final weeks leading up to the Festival, I will continue to keep this site updated. Thank you.

Frank

Offline Master Tad Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »
Frank my friend, I was unable to hear the show but I did read the book. It was fantastic as I knew it would be. My wife loved it too. I do recommend it to everybody.

Adamsgirl, I do remember Frank too from a festival a few years ago. He was cute, sexy.

Sally, stop flirting. It doesn't become you.  [ghost_tongue]