Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0251  (Read 2447 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0251
« on: March 12, 2007, 05:04:28 AM »

IluvBarnabas

Re: Discuss - Ep #0251
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 07:49:54 PM »
I really loved Willie in this episode. It's the first time he dared to defy Barnabas, on Maggie's behalf, willing to risk his own neck on the line. He was such a hero today! Yay Willie!

The way Barnabas was eyeing Vicki as she was listening to the music box....one has to wonder if he's already sighted Vicki as a second choice for his Josette wanna-be bride.

Poor Maggie getting stuck down that miserable cell....well at least at the moment she's still alive, thanks to Willie.

Great episode and great acting from Jonathan, John and Kathryn.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 07:58:04 PM »
Great episode, I think Barnabas has already decided to now make Vicki the new Josette. He does see that she likes the past and also that she has no problem.

I think Barnabas doesn't want to kill anyone he's just being scared again. Very good show Jonathan was in almost in every scene. I wonder if Barn had already decided to put Maggie in the cell. There was a matress in there.

This is the beginning of Making Vicki into, I don't understand when it comes to Barnabas.

Again good show for JF, JK and KLS
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 01:53:41 AM »
I just couldn't get into Friday's episode, but I was totally into today's.  I loved the basement scenes, with Willie fighting for Maggie's life, and forcing Barnabas to look at Maggie.  And by golly, Barnabas doesn't kill her.  Threats from here to eternity - but he doesn't kill her.  Somewhere in limbo, Sarah's ghost is starting to stir.

Meanwhile, we've got the beginnings of Barnabas's love for Vicky.  Big mistake on his part, but what can you do?  Looking on the bright side, it's a step forward for Barnabas: a realization that he can find a love who is not  the mirror image of Josette.  He lost track of that idea later, but it was there.  Looking on the not-so-bright side, I'm not a Vicky fan, so I feel he could have looked a little further before falling for the next woman who walked through his door, but that's Barnabas all over - a fool when it comes to women.  I love him anyway.

As for the bed in the basement - all I can think of to explain it is that perhaps Willie slept there for a while, before he got his room upstairs fixed up.

I didn't think much of Maggie crying and crying in the basement room (no, I'm not a sympathetic person), and I thought to myself: "Julia would do better," but then I started wondering: what do you do when you are in the power of the vampire, and the vampire has completely withdrawn his approval?  I once read a description of Hell that impressed me: there is absolutely no presence of God, so all your better instincts are extinguished, and you're left being a totally miserable person.  If you're in the power of a vampire, then he is your God, and the withdrawal of his favor has got to be utterly devastating, leaving you unable to cope with the prospect of death or worse.  So I guess it's all right for Maggie to cry.  Mind you, I still think Julia would have done better.

CT!_CTP/FITBs

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 08:34:28 AM »
Julia would have been very angry. She would have wailed but only if someone didn't hear her. Otherwise she would have been quiet. She wouldn't have let Barn know that she was upset.

[spoiler]There is the episode that Grayson does all by herself. When Barn is driving her crazy. I don't think that the show could have gone much to long in this way it was just getting two tense. They were just too strong the both of them.[/spoiler]

Julia would be thinking on how she could get the better of Barnabas.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 09:52:13 AM »
I echo the sentiments about the great acting of JF, JK, and KLS. [winkg] I don't blame Maggie for crying all over the place; I would have, too!  [cryg]

Wasn't it aggravating to hear the stupid voice-over at the beginning of the show on the DVD?  [vryangg] What happened in June, 1967, that might have caused viewers to miss the show?  I don't remember if it was on the VHS tape, also, and I don't feel like digging my tape out to find out.

I noticed that when Barnabas gave Vicki the handkerchief to give to Elizabeth, his hands were shaking. [shkdg] I bet it wasn't scripted that way.  It doesn't seem like Barnabas would be nervous enough for his hands to shake.

Hooray for Willie standing up to Barnabas! [clap]  I'm glad that he talked Barnabas out of killing Maggie, at least for the time being. [bigok]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 01:58:45 PM »
Oh yes, I forgot the handkerchief, which was beautiful, but can you imagine blowing your nose into that?  And then handing it to your maid to have it cleaned.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 05:16:35 PM »
Wasn't it aggravating to hear the stupid voice-over at the beginning of the show on the DVD?  [vryangg] What happened in June, 1967, that might have caused viewers to miss the show?  I don't remember if it was on the VHS tape, also, and I don't feel like digging my tape out to find out.

Yes, it's on the tapes.  UN hearings on the War pre-empted DS in some time zones, so recaps were provided in #247, 249, 250 and 251 to inform viewers of what they had missed.  But in this episode, the recap was so long that part of a scene was deleted to accommodate it.  If you have a copy of the Millenium ed. of the DS Almanac, the dialogue from the original script is on p. 244 (the unaired and missing part that follows Barnabas baring his fans and precedes his line, "You still haven't answered my question").

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 09:01:22 AM »
Thanks for the info, Midnite!  I have that book, and I will check it out today. [bigok]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 12:31:40 AM »
UN hearings on the War pre-empted DS in some time zones, so recaps were provided in #247, 249, 250 and 251 to inform viewers of what they had missed.
- italics mine.

Does this mean that recaps were provided in some time zones, or did all time zones get the recaps? 
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 01:58:47 AM »
Does this mean that recaps were provided in some time zones, or did all time zones get the recaps?

The preemptions occurred in several (though not all) time zones, but the recaps were a part of all broadcasts.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 03:42:30 AM »
I wonder if the recaps were inserted at the time of filming, or if they were spliced in later. Is it possible there were kinescope copies that had the missing footage? Surely someone looked into that -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 06:29:11 AM »
Quote from: retzev
I wonder if the recaps were inserted at the time of filming, or if they were spliced in later. Is it possible there were kinescope copies that had the missing footage?

They're heard over the opening credits, and it's only for this ep that the recap ran longer.  According to the DS Almanac, the 45 second overlap was deleted by ABC.