Author Topic: Elizabeth Collins / 18 yrs at Collinwood  (Read 4778 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Collins / 18 yrs at Collinwood
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:39:37 AM »
Is Elizabeth meant to have not left Collinwood the house for 18 years, or Collinwood the estate. As Tim Lucas noted here : "Her character is said to have never left Collinwood in over 18 years, but one episode opens with her entering the house from a trip outside."

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
Re: Elizabeth Collins / 18 yrs at Collinwood
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »
I believe it means she has not left the estate. She has not gone into the town of Collinsport, but has roamed around on her own property.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 03:20:49 AM »
indeed.

at various points in the early episodes we see liz at matthew morgan's cottage,widow's hill,the old house and other locations on the collinwood estate.but she does leave the house itself.

i remember later in the series(after the jason mcquire storyline)when we see liz in town thinking how odd it was to see her away from collinwood.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »
When out on the grounds I imagine she had her ears peeled for the sound of the basement door being opened.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:18:45 AM »
In episode 25, Roger says to Liz: "You haven't been out of this house for 18 years."

If anyone knows or finds other specific episodes with explicit references to Liz'zs 18 years, please post the episode numbers.

Also, when Liz finally does leave Collinwood, is any mention of it made?

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 07:27:05 AM »
If anyone knows or finds other specific episodes with explicit references to Liz'zs 18 years, please post the episode numbers.

If you perform an Advanced Search for "18 years," quotation marks included, of only the Robservations (open "Choose a board to search in" and check only that box), you will see lots (and lots) of references to it.

A huge deal is made of it, as you can see here--
Robservations 11/27/01 - #259/ ...

Enjoy!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 03:24:03 PM »
The episode where Vicki persuades Liz to go into town to try to help Carolyn is one of the best.  Joan Bennett was incredible.  What a great actress.  Moltke and Barrett were also fabulous in that one, of course.

G.

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 02:12:47 AM »
Liz's 18 years were referred to right back to Episode 1.  Episode five reveals that Liz hasn't left the grounds since her husband left her, six months before Carolyn was born (although, it will later be rewritten that Carolyn was a baby when her father left).  In Episode 6, Matthew reveals that Liz fired the entire Collinwood staff and hired him, immediately after her husband left.  Paul's first name isn't given until Episode 79 when Mrs. Johnson speaks it.

Also, technically, the first time that Liz left the grounds was in Episode 161 when she was sent to a Boston hospital after being put into a coma by Laura Collins.
Help us create the ultimate  Dark Shadows EncyclopediaLearn everything there is to know about the world of Dark Shadows at the CollinWiki!

http://darkshadows.wikicities.com

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 02:26:56 PM »
It still makes me mad knowing Elizabeth spent all those years at Collinwood for nothing, thanks to a certain smooth-talking snake. [ghost_angry]

SPOILER ALERT:

If Jason hadn't lied to her by telling her she had killed Paul, she could have had a fuller life.

I would have throttled the guy who dared to blackmail me over something that was a complete and total lie.

And it's not difficult either to understand why Elizabeth was so bitter towards Paul later on when he returned to Collinsport during the start of the Leviathan storyline. He abandoned her and Carolyn, tried to steal his own daughter's inheritance. For all she knew, he was still trying to get his hands on some of the Collins fortune and was using Carolyn to do it (of course this wasn't the case but it's not hard to see why Elizabeth would think it was).

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »
In Jason's defense: he never dreamed that Elizabeth would end up not leaving Collinwood for 18 years.  If he had known, I don't think it would have changed his actions - but still, he didn't know.

And I can't quite see Elizabeth as completely innocent in the matter.  She did hit Paul with the poker - at least, I think it was a poker - and she could have killed him.    And what was she accomplishing by not leaving the estate?  As has already been pointed out, she wasn't going to hear anybody breaking and entering the locked room in the basement if she was outside the house.

Anyway, if one has to spend one's whole life in one place, Collinwood isn't such a bad place.  Nice woods, a beach, ghosts to tell you bedtime stories...not bad at all.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 02:19:58 PM »
In Jason's defense: he never dreamed that Elizabeth would end up not leaving Collinwood for 18 years.  If he had known, I don't think it would have changed his actions - but still, he didn't know.

And I can't quite see Elizabeth as completely innocent in the matter.  She did hit Paul with the poker - at least, I think it was a poker - and she could have killed him.    And what was she accomplishing by not leaving the estate?  As has already been pointed out, she wasn't going to hear anybody breaking and entering the locked room in the basement if she was outside the house.

Anyway, if one has to spend one's whole life in one place, Collinwood isn't such a bad place.  Nice woods, a beach, ghosts to tell you bedtime stories...not bad at all.

You really think Jason would have cared if he HAD known Elizabeth was shutting herself up away at Collinwood? Hell, no! The fact that he didn't know she would shut herself up at Colllinwood does NOT in any way excuse what he did. He's still a scumbag in my eyes. I really don't see how anyone can defend him for what he did.

Elizabeth and Paul: it had never been her intention to kill Paul...when she hit him with that poker it was a spur-of-the-moment thing. And as Roger pointed out, Paul WAS trying to steal from her.
She winded up hitting him a bit harder than she thought she would. She ended up feeling so much guilt over what she thought she did she couldn't bring herself to leave the estate, perhaps as her punishment.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »
IluvBarnabas, I'd like to know - or maybe I wouldn't like to know - how many times in your life you have hit a man so violently as to render him unconscious - either on the spur of the moment, or in cold blood.

I myself (full disclosure here) have never done it.  Alack-a-day, if I were a soap opera character, I would be so boring that I wouldn't last more than an episode.

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »
Indeed, the Jason storyline was magnificent. Great acting on all parts. Being pre-Barnabas for most of the time, it remains little known outside of DS fanatics. I don't ever recall in later years a mention that Liz had not left the estate for 18 years. Such a strong and dominant woman, yet too fearful to leave home. Great job by the great Joan Bennett.

Sally
Sally Collins

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »
IluvBarnabas, I'd like to know - or maybe I wouldn't like to know - how many times in your life you have hit a man so violently as to render him unconscious - either on the spur of the moment, or in cold blood.

I'm happy to say I've never had an occasion to strike anyone, intentionally or unintentionally. Hopefully, I'll never see such a time rise up.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »
In episode 25, Roger says to Liz: "You haven't been out of this house for 18 years."

she hasn't been off the grounds.   remember she trapses over to Matthew Morgan's house.   

the eppy that she goes out is when something happens and she's the only one around and has to go down tothe sherriff's office.   you have to kind of say, "hm, SHE WENT OUT?"   and then after that, it's Bangor, Boston and the crypt for nice long nap.