Author Topic: Drinking in Collinsport  (Read 3696 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Drinking in Collinsport
« on: April 07, 2008, 07:52:31 AM »
[drunk22] Quentin comes to mind immediately, but I think Liz and Roger both might be able to drink him under the table. Quentin and Carolyn both fall apart like a couple of amateurs after a few drinks, but the elder Collins's seem much better at handling their liquor. Practice makes perfect I suppose.  I also get the impression that Roger and Liz drink quite a bit more than they let on, but of course they have to keep up appearances. I'm sure even David dipped his little beak in the decanter from time to time when nobody was looking. Hell, who didn't drink in Collinsport? [drunken_smiley] 

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking in Collinsport
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »
I'll bet Mrs. Johnson didn't.  Well maybe only on occasion for medicinal purposes.

Gerard

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 04:14:54 PM »
I'll bet Mrs. Johnson didn't.  Well maybe only on occasion for medicinal purposes.

Clarice Blackburn's characters were pretty straightedge. I doubt Abigail Collins or Minerva Trask ever embibed spirits
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:41:57 PM »
Well, we all know Sam Evans was a lush, but Burke Devlin sure could wash 'em down, too! I love the scene where (spoiler alert) he, Joe and Sam are at the Blue Whale talking about the deceased Bill Malloy. They all got so loaded, they began singing, "What do you do with a drunken sailor?". That was hilarious!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:53:33 PM »

Clarice Blackburn's characters were pretty straightedge. I doubt Abigail Collins or Minerva Trask ever embibed spirits

I don't know about that......I suspect she was exactly the type to shout the horrors of  Demon Rum in church, and then go home and get snockered...... [8285]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »
Jason put a few away in the Blue Whale too, but he was too smart and shifty to ever let himself get drunk.

Sally
Sally Collins

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »
Professor Stokes was known for his love of sherry, but he never seemed to get smashed either. Good for him! [ghost_wink]

I also remember Joe, very much drunk, going up to Collinwood and told off Carolyn and Elizabeth in one speech. He didn't remember any of it, either. But I bet the those two ladies would never forget it! [ghost_wink]

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 07:04:56 PM »
Parallel time Gabriel Collins were a major drinker. Also don't forget Count Petofi-- he liked his sherry and an occasional serving of chartruse (sp?), which Aristede ordered for him in the bar at one point.
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »
Since DS copied so much from the classics, the writers should have given Barnabas the classic line from Dracula, when the Count is offered a drink: "I never drink... wine."

Sally
Sally Collins

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 09:43:29 PM »
I love the scene where (spoiler alert) he, Joe and Sam are at the Blue Whale talking about the deceased Bill Malloy. They all got so loaded, they began singing, "What do you do with a drunken sailor?".

I love that singing scene too, but it was only Burke and Sam who sang:

1966: Ep #85 - A drunken Burke and Sam bond by singing Bill's
favorite song: 'What Do You Do With A Drunken Sailor?'

Believe it or not, Joe wasn't in Ep #85.  [ghost_smiley]  I guess he wasn't allowed to sing with the big boys.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 10:02:25 PM »
I just went to i-tunes and found that song. I'll have to learn all the words just in case I have a few to many drinks at the fest. [ghost_wacko]
May you die before you want too.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 01:23:21 AM »
I don't know about that......I suspect she was exactly the type to shout the horrors of  Demon Rum in church, and then go home and get snockered...... [8285]

Come to think of it, while we never saw Mrs. Johnson bend her elbow, she did smoke.  So maybe when she was alone at night, after all her work was finished, she enjoyed a cigarette with some coffee......with just a tad - a tad, mind you - of an inebriate added.  For medicinal purposes, of course, to help her get a good night's sleep.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 03:00:02 AM »
I've never found an appropriate place to say this--

Quentin Collins.... the wolf that walks like a man.... and the rest of the time, the man that drinks like a fish...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 03:11:58 AM »
in general i didn't get the impression that liz was a big drinker.

but i recall one episode during the leviathan storyline where barnabas asks liz if the consumption of sherry was calming to her nerves.it left the vague impression that at least at this point in time she was self-medicating a bit.

this scene was i believe followed by liz having the most bizzare dream in the show's entire run(and you all know what i mean!).
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 03:41:31 AM »
I don't recall Elizabeth doing a whole lot of drinking on the show, either. I suppose she could have, though, we just didn't get to see it on screen. [ghost_wub]

Her ancestor, Naomi Collins, on the other hand....she turned to the bottle most of the time....but then, who wouldn't with Abigail for a sister-in-law? [ghost_grin]

I recall Quentin saying Judith nipped at the brandy frequently too.

Man, I would have loved to have seen Barnabas smashed just ONCE during the show...but I suppose he's above that sort of thing, or thinks he is anyway.