Author Topic: How will this affect the new DS?  (Read 2785 times)

ClaudeNorth

How will this affect the new DS?
« on: February 16, 2004, 08:40:42 AM »
Just read on www.eonline.com that the WB has cancelled ANGEL.

I'm wondering if this will have any effect on their decision to greenlight or not to greenlight the new DS.  On one hand, the cancellation could be seen as a disenchantment with vampire- and/or supernatural-themed series.  On the other hand, it could mean that they have high hopes for the DS pilot and are taking an "out with the old, in with the new" approach to this sort of programming.

This is certainly a very interesting development...

Regards,

John

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:How will this affect the new DS?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 06:05:55 PM »
I think it was shuffled out due to rising costs and they feel the new DS will fill that niche nicely, without the large salary demands of producers and actors in their 5 or 7th seasons do.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 08:17:24 PM »
I think it was shuffled out due to rising costs and they feel the new DS will fill that niche nicely....

That would be a significant leap of faith, considering they don't even have a pilot to look at yet, don't you think?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 09:01:54 PM »
That would be a significant leap of faith, considering they don't even have a pilot to look at yet, don't you think?

Well, optimism could say that the WB have read the script and possibly they're really high on a new DS based on that alone. But personally I think it's still way too early in the proceedings and way too dangerous to read anything into what's happening at the WB. For example, I was reading one of the Angel boards after I heard about the cancellation and back when the story was circulating that the head honcho at the WB had apologized to Joss Whedon for not having mentioned to him that the WB is considering a new DS, most fans there took that to mean that Angel would be renewed for next year because otherwise there would have been no need to apologize to Whedon. That may have been a logical conclusion, but we know now that it was a totally wrong one...

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 09:19:54 PM »
While we're in an optimistic mood... ;D ...it could also be that as "hot" as Mr. Wells is right now in network land, the PTB at WB might be feeling pretty confident that a Wells project is all but a safe bet/sure thing. Hopefully they've forgotten that several of Steven Speilberg's (sp?) TV projects went bust, lol.

d.

PS - This is so exciting! I wonder if Wells is only contracted for the pilot script or if he (and his) would be writing for the show on a weekly basis? So many variables!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 09:22:27 PM »
And oh, by the way.....is anyone keeping track of any OTHER new scripts/pilots the WB may be looking at?

WE'RE all wrapped up in the possibility of a new DS...but that certainly can't be the ONLY thing they're considering at this point.  The cancellation of "Angel" may be due to ONE set of criteria and the green light for the DS pilot may be predicated on an entirely different set.  It's just possible that one has nothing to do with the other.

I'm curious how much impact Sarah Michelle Gellar's refusal to do an episode this year  had on the WB's decision......they may have been counting on her occasional appearances to keep the fans tuning in.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 09:50:37 PM »
And oh, by the way.....is anyone keeping track of any OTHER new scripts/pilots the WB may be looking at?

Other pilots? There are NO OTHER PILOTS! Well, none of consequence.  [wink2]

But seriously, the only other dramatic pilot I've read about at the WB is an update of "Lost in Space." Their others haven't been getting much publicity. But if you'd like to see what else is being produced, check out  My Entertainment World's Television Production Events TV Pilot chart.

The DS pilot is still listed as "Untitled Vampire Project."

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 10:14:51 PM »
Jordan Levin, Chief of WB has stated to the press that, "...anticipates having to double run one or more dramas in primetime next season -- as well as add more reality programs to the Frog's mix."

"We have a lot of veteran shows that are aging, and we're going to have to make room for new programs," Levin said. "I know this will make lots of fans unhappy. But we have to have more at-bats, and we need to create timeslots where we can repeat shows (the same week episodes premiere.)"  (Variety.com-Article updated 02/15/04.)

Repeats and reality TV.  Wow!  I really needed to have Angel cancelled for that.  Anyway, I think a lot of factors went into it.  They have never really treated the show with a great deal of respect IMHO.  The publicity has been terrible.

But, they are keeping Charmed. *shudders*

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 11:14:23 PM »
Wells is co-executive producing the show. Mark Verheiden wrote the pilot.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 12:07:45 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Darren. My (big) mistake.  :-

d.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 02:07:40 AM »
Who knows- perhaps Wells will write episodes as well. I have no idea.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 02:43:56 AM »

Other pilots? There are NO OTHER PILOTS! Well, none of consequence.

Actually, I think it's kind of interesting to keep an eye on the types of shows the other networks are eyeing, since you'll often see competing networks launch shows in the same basic genre at around the same time. For example, NBC's E.R. and CBS's defunct Chicago Hope debuted during the same season.

NBC is supposedly looking into a supernatural-based pilot with Patricia Arquette called Medium, and Kelsey Grammer is lined up to executive produce.

UPN has ordered a pilot for a supernatural series from Aaron Spelling called Silver Lake.

Fox has ordered a pilot for the supernatural drama Point Pleasant from former Buffy executive producer Marti Noxon. It involves a quiet beachside community that is turned upside down when the body of a mysterious young girl washes up on the shore, and it's also been described as Peyton Place meets The Omen.

So at the very least it looks like there's a lot of interest in the genre for next season.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 05:43:32 PM »
ACK! Marti Noxon plus "The Omen" meets "Peyton Place"! oogh.

Thanks, Criseyde, for getting me GOOD and scared!  that's REALLY terrifying!

G.

LorraineAAB

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2004, 10:09:35 PM »
ACK! Marti Noxon plus "The Omen" meets "Peyton Place"! oogh.

.... meets "Twin Peaks".  "The body of a strange young girl washes ashore..."

L. (with dreams of the log lady, d---med good cherry pies, and dwarves fire-dancing in my head.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 06:48:48 AM »
Actually, I think it's kind of interesting to keep an eye on the types of shows the other networks are eyeing, since you'll often see competing networks launch shows in the same basic genre at around the same time. ...

NBC is supposedly looking into a supernatural-based pilot with Patricia Arquette called Medium, and Kelsey Grammer is lined up to executive produce.

Fox has ordered a pilot for the supernatural drama Point Pleasant from former Buffy executive producer Marti Noxon. It involves a quiet beachside community that is turned upside down when the body of a mysterious young girl washes up on the shore, and it's also been described as Peyton Place meets The Omen.

So at the very least it looks like there's a lot of interest in the genre for next season.

Well, these two *may* have already bitten the dust, or it may just be that they're not being considered for the fall but possibly for a replacement or mid-season berth:

Posted: Thurs., Mar. 25, 2004, 7:51pm PT

Peacock sits pretty

NBC's fall sked nearly set; Fox in summer hunt

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Two months before the May upfronts, NBC has already figured out most of its fall 2004 schedule.

Fox, meanwhile, has zeroed in on which pilots it hopes to have ready for potential summer launches.

Both webs revealed their strategies this week as part of the network pre-upfront meetings with media buyers and ad reps.

Speaking Thursday on the Culver City set of "Las Vegas," NBC topper Jeff Zucker said the net expects to add just four new hours of programming next fall -- including an hour and a half on Tuesday, an hour on Wednesday, a half-hour on Thursday and an hour on Friday.

Otherwise, as it stands now NBC plans to keep its Monday ("Fear Factor," "Las Vegas," "Average Joe"), Saturday (Movie and "Law & Order: SVU" repeats) and Sunday ("Dateline NBC," "American Dreams," "Law & Order: Criminal Intent," "Crossing Jordan") skeds intact.

According to the exec, that's the net's fewest schedule gaps in at least four years.

On the reality front, in addition to "The Apprentice," "Fear Factor" and "Average Joe," net has the previously announced Sylvester Stallone/Burnett/DreamWorks boxing entry "The Contender," as well as "Average Joe" spinoff "Plain Jane."

Fox heats up summer

"There is no such thing as a fall schedule from Fox any longer," said Fox Entertainment prexy Gail Berman. "The new season will start in June. It will all be laid out in a plan for them at upfront."

Fox has already ordered the dramas "The Jury" and "North Shore," as well as the untitled Method Man/Redman sitcom, to series. Entertainment prexy Gail Berman said the drama projects "Ricochet," "Hollywood Division" and "The Deerings" (formerly known as "One Big Happy") might still get an early nod, while sitcoms "Lucky Us," "Quintuplets" and "Related by Family" are all still in line for a potential summer launch.

"We're moving," Berman said. "There are no flies on us. We will launch quite a few of them, and what resonates with the audience will be able to come back in November (following the World Series) in addition to our already established season."

Peacock's pilot plans

Over at NBC, where the net's stable schedule doesn't leave much room for many new shows, net nonetheless has five drama pilots, 14 sitcom pilots and the limited series "Revelations" in the works.

According to Peacock primetime development prexy Kevin Reilly, the net has focused its drama projects on closed-ended series that are either procedurals or defined franchises. That includes "Law & Order: Trial by Jury," the fourth installment in the Dick Wolf franchise.

Peacock has not yet officially hammered out a deal for "Trial by Jury," but net execs said the court-based drama (described as a contemporary "Perry Mason") could still be ready for air by fall. ...

...[/b]

Date in print: Fri., Mar. 26, 2004, Los Angeles

I was actually hoping that "Point Pleasant" might have gotten picked up - though I was also a bit apprehensive that it might have been scheduled opposite the WB DS (if, of course, it were to be picked up). Now it doesn't look like that will be an issue...