Author Topic: Did David Henesy leave??  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Did David Henesy leave??
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 05:03:42 PM »
Instead of taking up more space with a new thread I wanted to ask what MYSTERIOUS knew about Dan possibly turning DS over to someone else.  I think it is reported in Grayson's Biography that ABC and he had thought about turning the show over to other producers.

Well, for all intents and purposes Lela Swift was running the show by the end. So, if DC had officially left, I could easily see where Lela would have been put in charge. And if that had happened, who knows what new directions DS might have gone? But, of course, we'll never know...

Was this all talked about before the final "Nail' was hammered in the coffin?  Do you think ABC may have let the show continue if new blood were brought in to try and bring up the ratings.

The ratings were going up during 1841PT. But the final nail in DS' coffin had little to do with the show's ratings. It was basically a case that practically everyone concerned (except for the audience) was ready to move on.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »
ABC did eventually buy One Life to Live & General Hospital (they were independently owned originally like DS).
Not sure if All My Children was owned by ABC originally or not.  They could have bought DS from Dan Curtis if they really wanted to.

A new producer may have slowly phased out the supernatural or had it recur only every so often.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 05:20:18 PM »
EVERYONE was ready?  Hmmm.......I didn't know that ABC had to buy GH & OLTL.  I didn't really know how all that worked.  Thanks for the insight!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 10:42:06 PM »
Phasing out the supernatural sounds preposterous at first.   Then I remembered how different 1841 PT had seemed to me last time I saw it, different from all the rest of DS.   I realized that I'd been so disappointed with it, not because it was bad, but because it was different, not what I generally go for.

There weren't intertwining supernatural events going on day after day, week after week.   Two long term stories were going on, one not supernatural at all, the Wuthering Heights story, and the room and the lottery, which didn't even come up for long stretches.   

I noticed a basic feel I couldn't put my finger on, that made 1841PT seem not like DS but more like a new show, despite the same sets, same actors, and same music.  The music in particular seemed wrong.  The sombre cello music would be playing behind unscary scenes.   It seemed obselete for the new program.

I can easily see a more "modern" yet "period" soap opera developing out of the ashes of DS, with more sexuality, about relationships, perhaps even without the supernatural, a sort of Wuthering Heights with some modern sensibilities thrown in.   I could see the Robert Cobert music being replaced, and maybe the writers.  More nuanced acting, maybe.  If enough actors stayed on to make the transition I can see new actors of a different kind brought in for the new format.

1841PT really did give me the impression of the first storyline of DS mark two, the Lela Swift years I suppose.  It would be a good program, because now I must admit 1841PT was good, but probably not one I would watch, certainly not at age 13!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 02:21:58 AM »
In my opinion it would have been great if they had mixed normal soapy elements with the supernatural too.  I think the pefect examples of this is the early ghost stories and the phoenix storyline!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 06:17:38 PM »
Did Henesy retired from acting after he left DS? I do know that he made a cameo appearance
in one episode of "The Waltons".

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 06:57:47 PM »
I think I have vague memories of seeing him as a young adult on other programs.  Then I heard here that he 'retired' to Australia, right?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »
The last I heard, he was a restauranteur in South America.

ProfStokes

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
Dear Fans, David Henesy contributed a memoir about his DS days in one of KLS' more recent books.  I think it was Dark Shadows Memories but it may have been the updated version of Dark Shadows Almanac.

If I remember correctly, the memoir was done as a conversation between Henesy and his once-upon-a-time co-star, Denise Nickerson.

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 03:54:01 AM »
Well that is another good reason to get the new version.  I haven't read anything with DH besides the stuff from 16 magazine and all those teen mags back in the day!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 04:09:54 AM »
The Henesy piece is indeed in DS Memories, which came out for DS' 35th anniversary. However, it's KLS who interviews him via e-mail - though KLS also contacted Denise Nickerson to add her own recollections to some of Henesy's stories.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 04:24:25 AM »
I believe Craig Hamrick posted a note and brief interview with Henesy on his website darkshadowonline.com in the "whatever happened to" section.  The website is still up and running.

Nancy

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 04:28:49 AM »
He did indeed but it wasn't anything to write home about as the saying goes.....

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
I too have read that DH owns a restaurant in South America..If I remember correctly, someone posted something on the web of having stayed at a resort somewhere in the Caribbean that was being managed by DH. It might have been a rumor.  I saw a picture of him taken at an airport.  Someone commented that he reminded them of David Bonaduce.  He was with a very attractive dark haired women as I recall.  Its incredible to believe that our young David is going to be 52 yrs old!  [ghost_shocked] I would love to see his character involved in any new DS endeavor.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 10:07:09 PM »
I had always thought that Kate Jackson would've played a modern day character, almost certainly another governess, if the story had returned to 1971. I'm sure she would've been a Harridge, some sort of great-niece to Daphne, although it would have been nice of she'd been a great-whatever- granddaughter of Daphne and Quentin.
If David had been recast it really was past time to start treating him like a teenager.