Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0917  (Read 649 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0917
« on: April 03, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »
Robservations #917

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0917

And remember:
Thursday, April 2: No Episode, originally Thursday, January 1, 1970 was New Year's Day

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 06:26:55 PM »
While Olivia and Julia puzzle over the wreckage in Grant/Quentin's hotel room, we return to the perils of Paul Stoddard.

Carolyn is concerned about her father's condition, but Elizabeth is indifferent, even when the still-drugged Paul staggers downstairs, trying to escape. Elizabeth has Mrs. Johnson take Paul back to his room. Mrs. Johnson brings him some milk and cookies, but he manages to pour the drugged milk into an empty vase on the nightstand. Now realizing that Elizabeth is one of Them, he pretends to be sleeping when she returns to check on him. The moment she leaves, he gets out of bed. Carolyn arrives and agrees to help him get away. But when she returns with her mother, they are both surprised to find him gone. Elizabeth's face hardens with anger when she sees that he poured the milk into the vase.

Meanwhile, Paul has found his way to what seems to be a glass door opening onto a landing with a huge cement banister. It doesn’t exactly look like the terrace, so perhaps it’s a back door from the kitchen. He makes his way down the stairs and into the woods, still weak from the drugs in his system.

Elizabeth puts on a black cape but instead of going out, she tells Carolyn and Mrs. J. to search the grounds. She herself phones Dr. Reeves.

Mrs. Johnson steps outside, turns her flashlight on and starts calling to Mr. Stoddard. Somewhere in the woods, Paul stumbles along a path, then stops to catch his breath. We can hear Mrs. Johnson and Carolyn call out to him as he slowly collapses to the ground, unconscious. A pair of men’s feet approach. Professor Stokes kneels beside Paul and revives him. Is anything wrong? he asks politely. Nothing is wrong, Paul replies, but you’ve got to help me get away. Stokes questions him, but he won’t say away from what. Paul says his name, and Stokes realizes that he’s Carolyn’s father. Did They sent you after me? Paul wonders. I just happened by, Stokes replies, luckily for you. You’ll catch your death of cold. I seem marked for death no matter where I go, Paul says as he stumbles to his feet with Stokes’s help. Stokes introduces himself, and Paul says, I have to go to the police. He won’t tell Stokes why till they get there. Stokes offers to take him back to Collinwood, but Paul nearly panics. Stokes offers to take Paul to his car and then to the police.

Even though Roger was going to call Sheriff Patterson last night, there is a new sheriff in town, name of Davenport (Ed Riley). Stokes brings Paul to the police station, where the sheriff assures him that everything will be all right. It will never be all right until they stop chasing me, Paul tells him. He tells the sheriff about the phone calls, how Payment Is Due, and all the rest of the Leviathan business. After a moment, Paul realizes the sheriff doesn’t believe him. The sheriff asks him to name some of Them. Paul promptly names Elizabeth. I find this a little hard to believe, says the scandalized sheriff. That only backs up my story, Paul argues. And yet you tell me why she took me back into Collinwood after twenty years of open hatred? It is because They wanted me there. You know this town. You know how they gossip. You know my wife. Why would she risk all of that gossip unless They wanted her to do something for Them? The sheriff agrees to talk to Mrs. Stoddard. Paul begs the sheriff, Please keep me locked up and under guard until after you investigate. Then I will tell you the whole story. He wants to phone Carolyn to let her know he’s safe; Stokes promises to phone for him. I’ll take you someplace where you can rest, the sheriff says.

The time is 9:00 p.m. Paul wakes up to find the sheriff standing over him. I feel much better, he says--and he probably has slept away the worst effects of the drugs. The sheriff says someone is here to see him. Oh, Carolyn! Paul cries and jumps up to greet her. But it is Elizabeth who stands before him with a frightening smirk. No, no! Don’t let her near me! Paul cries. Elizabeth reminds Stokes, I told you on the phone that Paul is terrified of me. Paul tries to make a break for it, but the sheriff catches him and forces him into a chair while Elizabeth produces the dreaded medicine bottle and spoon. You said you would help me! Paul tells the sheriff. We are helping you, Mr. Stoddard, the sheriff replies as he ties Paul’s hands behind the chair. Traitors! Paul screams as Elizabeth approaches with the spoonful of medicine at the ready. Killers! Paul screams, but Elizabeth draws nearer and nearer with absolutely no expression in her eyes........

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:26:33 PM »
I absolutely love this shot of Liz from this ep:

It's simple, yet at the same time it seems to capture so much about her character at this point.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »
Yet another fabulous frame grab--thanks! As always the lighting is eerily beautiful.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 09:23:24 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned not only one of the greatest moments from this ep, and not only one of the greatest moments from this storyline, but one of the greatest moments from DS period:

when Liz asks Paul (who she thinks is asleep), "What made you think, for even one moment, that I wanted you back?!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »
Marie W VO?  Emma Peel wore a coat like Liz's.  Paul Stoddard is about to become Jenny, locked down below.  He hears and knows that ECS is one of them.   Paul escapes, is found by back-up DS hero Stokes.  Welcome Davenport?  Boo Elliot, turning him in to Liz.  Because of the Collins' power, Stoddard doesn't even have the choice of not going back.  Our rights as citizens aren't as absolute as we like to think.

Even though Roger was going to call Sheriff Patterson last night...
  Nicely caught...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 06:13:58 PM »
Though for this ep he's listed as Deputy Davenport in things like the DS Program Guide, so presumably that's the way he was listed in the script for this ep. Just how he's suddenly become Sheriff Davenport in Ep #934 remains a mystery...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned not only one of the greatest moments from this ep, and not only one of the greatest moments from this storyline, but one of the greatest moments from DS period:

when Liz asks Paul (who she thinks is asleep), "What made you think, for even one moment, that I wanted you back?!"

it was certainly one of my all time favorites. back in the day I think I posted a lengthy love letter to the scene.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.